Black soul gems

• Level   8

Is there any way to make black soul gems in Skyrim?

• Level   3

They can be harvested in Geode Veins (I haven't done this yet, but I assume with a pick axe) - The dwemer ruin of Blackreach, below Alftand,  is a good harvesting area.

• Level   8

Thanks. I'll give that a try

• Level   5

There is a shady mage merchant (Enthir) at the College of Winterhold who sells Black Soul Gems and Daedra Hearts (at a premium).

• Level   8

Echo Drive

There is a shady mage merchant (Enthir) at the College of Winterhold who sells Black Soul Gems and Daedra Hearts (at a premium).

I knew i'd bought some in the past but couldn't remember who. Spent ages trying to find them in shops. Thought it was just some one off thing being able to buy them.

I'll check when Enthir. Hopefully he's got more to sell.

• Level   5

**Possible Spoiler** How do you gain access to Blackreach? I stumbled across it in my adventuring and noticed it was locked down pretty tight.

• Level   3

Lax

**Possible Spoiler** How do you gain access to Blackreach? I stumbled across it in my adventuring and noticed it was locked down pretty tight.

It's part of the main quest. I'm not sure you can get in there without doing that quest.

• Level   5

What is the difference between black and grand soul gems, aside from appearance?....I remember there was a quest in oblivion about them...and you could only get them by placing grand soul gems in alters in remote locations at midnight on a full moon or something......is there any benefits to them over grand soul gems though?

• Level   7

This is a little of topic, however if you go to Azura Shrine, a mage will ask you to recover the The star of Azura (which is a reusable black soul gem). Just make sure that you return it to Nelacar found in the Frozen Hearth in Winterhold and he will repair it  for you after a small quest and you then have a reusable black soul gem that traps human souls. (Don't return it to Azura as it will only be able to capture non-human souls).

Here's the guild: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:The_Black_Star

• Level   7

There is no main difference aside from bein able to trap human souls, and a much higher resale price.

what in sam hell is a puma?

• Level   5

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but can someone tell me what Soul Gem Fragments are for? I've been collecting these things hoping I can use them for something later. Thx.

• Level   8

I've been wondering the same thing. I have loads in my inventory but am too scared to sell them in case they are needed for a quest.

• Level   3

@Lax - It is accessable while doing the main quest "Elder Knowledge" that is given by Paarthurnax at the Throat of the World.  From there, you will get a special orb that unlocks the way to Black Reach.  It is under Alftand to start.

• Level   5

Zombie Bogan

What is the difference between black and grand soul gems, aside from appearance?....I remember there was a quest in oblivion about them...and you could only get them by placing grand soul gems in alters in remote locations at midnight on a full moon or something......is there any benefits to them over grand soul gems though?

The main difference is that Black Soul Gems can capture humanoid souls, but only humanoid souls.  Other soul gems (Petty, Common, Greater, Grand) only capture creature souls.  This has an advantage as all humanoid souls are considered Grand, where as animal/creature souls scale based on level (weak creatures like a skeever give a petty soul and big creatures like a mammoth give a Grand soul).  As for the fragments they may just be miscellaneous loot (found items such as Broken Steel Sword Hilt as well) or they may be implemented later in some DLC as quest items.  For now I have a pile sitting in a drawer in proudspire manor, they seem to be fairly common in dungeons with spellcasters (usually find them littering tables or near an enchanting table).

"A Man chooses; a Slave obeys." -Andrew Ryan

"M'aiq can travel fast across the land. Some lazy types take carriages. It is all the same to M'aiq." -M'aiq the Liar

• Level   5

This is from IGN about the creatures and their levels of souls. www.ign.com/.../Soul_Gem

Going to be a daddy 2-17-13