Light Armor vs. Heavy Armor

• Level   3

I can't decide at all which is a problem because it means I can't put perks in either one, or into smithing until I figure out. I know in Oblivion Heavy Armor made your magic weaker. Does Heavy Armor make your magic weaker? In this game, the light armor perks seem much, much better then the Heavy Armor perks. So if your magic is weaker, I might go with light armor.

On my character my primary skills are one handed, destruction, block, restoration. Pretty much I'm either a mage who can fight, or a warrior who does magic (not really sure which one I'll end up being probably a 50/50 on both). 

In Oblivion, I used Heavy Armor, not sure if that was the right decision for a similar build. However in Oblivion, the perks were the same AND I pretty much focused on being a warrior until later in the game. Which meant that even though magicka was affected my heavy armor was so high I didn't need to worry that much. In this game I'm doing a lot of magic now, so I'm not sure if it will negatively affect it.

I however, do not like the light armor look, but since its a first person game, that doesn't matter that much. Interestingly enough, the heavy armor does not seem that much better, in Oblivion it seemed heavy armor had like twice as much protection. Here its like +3 on an item with 50 protection anyways in the heavy vs. light one. 

93% of statistics are lies.
    • Level   7

I've used both with magic and it seems like it doesn't really matter which one you use. I hate the look of just about all the light armor in Skyrim and it seems like you need more and rarer materials to craft it so I went with heavy armor. Right now my combat style is magic in left + axe in right hand and I don't use shields so heavy armor seemed like the best way to go.

You can't spell EPIC FAIL without EA.

• Level   7

Light Armor has less protection but weighs less. Heavy has more protection but weighs more. I always go with heavy armor. Because there is a perk that makes heavy armor weightless.

Groovy.

• Level   4

I use light because I play more on the stealth side. Heavy armor is loud, gets you noticed a lot easier.

• Level   3

Hmm, I never stealth so that doesn't matter to me. So basically if you don't stealth, Heavy Armor is the way to go because there is no magicka penalty (and light is ugly IMO)?

I understand there is a heavy armor perk to allow you to have no penalty ~ does this help with stealth combat?

I wish the heavy armor perks were better though, unarmed combat is a horrible perk for example.

• Level   4

Glass Armor for light looks awesome.

But when I got smithing to 100 i switched to Dragonbone Heavy.

• Level   3

Glass does look awesome, but I don't like everything else. For heavy I just don't like daedric because daedric makes me look evil.

• Level   7

I use light for stealth. I agree with the person that said they don't like the look of the light armors though. They're all pretty ugly so far.

• Level   8

Armour has no effect on spells in this game thankfully.

Light armour weighs less and doesn't slow you down as much but has less protection.

Heavy armour has more protection but slows you down.

Stealthy characters or character that mainly use ranged combat like bows or spells should use light armour.

There is a way to negate the bad effects of heavy armour making it suitable for thieves and mages but that would require posting a spoiler.

• Level   8

Heavy Armour + No weight = Superior, if you ask me.

I don't know if that also prevents the extra stamina drain while sprinting, but if it does that only furthers my opinion.

They want to see me shot up, locked up, encage me...

I come back bigger... stronger... and angrier.

• Level   5

I don't know or care which is superior, light armor seems to benefit me more. With light armor perks, it becomes more protective than heavy armor anyway.

• Level   6

Light Armor for now.

After you get the right perks unlocked Light Armor gives some pretty good protection.

• Level   5

So i've been using light armor thus far as a Warrior (single handed sword with shield). I've been putting my protection into my shield/blocking. Am i heading down a bad path by sticking with light? I'm pretty early on, only lvl 7, but i'm currently fast in combat.

Nobody puts Ghost in the corner.
    • Level   7

Light armor seems to be favored in enchanting as well.  Practically all the armor I've come across that is enchanted is light armor.

So at this point I have a mixture of both.  You can get a perk/skill/attachment to nullify the sound of armor while sneaking BTW.

-Purist

• Level   3

I used Heavy Armor from the get go.  I really think you need to make the choice in the beginning or else your armor won't level up as high and you won't be able to unlock the good perks in either one.  I'm a level 36 and my heavy armor is only rated around 60.  And that's with going balls out right into the battles with my shield and mace so I'm getting hit a lot.  

I think my armor rating is around 320 right now with some ebony, and steel gear that is enchanted (unfortunately when my enchanting was not nearly as good as it is now).