Constant Game Freezing

• Level   4

I'm literally at the point of breaking here.

So, this game has been relatively smooth until now. I've been experiencing constant freezing since Thanksgiving, freezing up after maybe 5-15 minutes of gameplay. I decided to pretty much give up after the frequent ones then, but even now, not even getting a full experience in for days, can I seem to get away from it. I keep assuming that it must be something to do with the saves, but I can't be quite sure, as in multiple searches, have not really found anything to back this problem up on the 360, at the least.

I've cleared my cache, deleted Autosaves, turned off Autosaves, tried multiple things, but I seemingly can't crack the safe on this one. With all the things I've attempted, I still haven't manage to let any light on the situation.

Has anyone had, at the very least, heard of any of these problems or any work-arounds for this problem? I'm quite aware that Bethesda games rarely have the smoothest launches, but this is the first time with my history in the Elder Scrolls series (or even their Fallout titles) where the game has been pretty much unplayable. I'm literally grinding my teeth on this one.

This'll be sure to melt your face off. Use your Boomstick for effective brain-splatter.
    • Level   8

I've just been hit by this in the last few sessions of playing after 50 hours of play. It doesn't happen as frequent as you describe, but luckily I save often and revert to that, or auto save.

Fidelis ad urnam

• Level   4

Last I check, I seemed to have near 200 hours already put into the game (they weren't kidding about that whole "sucking your life away" bit) with rare game freezing going on. I think it happened but only twice before this started to happen, and that seems long ago. I save often as well, and this whole disaster has actually had me saving much more than usual, if I can even get a save in before the game freezes.

I've come across people who've put much more time into their game without a problem like this. Why it should be striking now, after all this time, is beyond me. Still, it seems, as well, because in my continued search, I still can't find squat. :\

This'll be sure to melt your face off. Use your Boomstick for effective brain-splatter.
    • Level   8

Did you check to make sure you didn't leave greasy fingerprints on your disc?

• Level   8

@ Super. It does make you more paranoid after you get frozen on and it feels like a game of Russian Roulette just waiting for that freeze, lol. Almost had a cry the other night after going through a intense part while forgetting to save and it froze. I was like nooo... just to find out the game auto saved when I had to wait 1 hour so my lost follower could insta-return to me. That was a phew moment.

Fidelis ad urnam

• Level   4

@Time No, there's no fingerprints on my disk...I'm quite proficient at handling disk. Well, as proficient as you can be, or if there is a proficiency for it.

• Level   8

Is your Xbox in a well ventilated area?  Your console could be getting a little too hot.  This can also effect the performance.

• Level   4

Well, my 360 surely shouldn't overheat that fast. Yes, its in an open area; plenty of space to breath. In fact, I'm quite sure overheating isn't the problem, as frequent as these freezes are happening, and the fact that this is the only game freezing.

• Level   8

Might as well hold off playing Skyrim until November 30th when the patch gets released.

• Level   5

It's not known for sure that the patch will fix the problem. We just have to wait and see :P

• Level   4

Well, would you look at that...Not even five minutes into the game with the new patch, and it freezes. :\ Kind of figured nothing at all would have addressed the problem.

I'm likely going to have to start completely over just to fix the problem. *** you, Bethesda.

Well, at least the textures look fine now.

• Level   5

Saving offen and keeping the last 10 saves or so should save you next time.  

• Level   5

The more hours I put into Skyrim the more I notice this exact same issue. I think it has a lot to do with the dead dragon bodies and dead NPC bodies laying around.  They seem to be sucking up the games resources and memory causing frame rate drop and buggy problems. Yes this game started out running very well but I am near 90 hours and having more and more issues.  My game has froze about 9 times now within the 90 hours of gameplay.   More in the last 20 hours or so of gameplay.    I was hoping this new 1.2 patch would fix the issues but as always with Bethesda games, the patch seems to be creating more issues.

• Level   3

When I played Oblivion this was constant; drove me nuts.  I do not play any games now unless it is downloaded to the hard drive; this is the ONLY way to play a game.  Puts less stress on your machine and "limits" these types of problems.  I have had only 3 freeze ups in over 118 hours of playing; one very common when you step inside the mothers coffin.

Sucks but this is a BIG game with an ever changing environment, dead bodies laying around, etc.  Should be expected.

• Level   7

It's a Bethesda game and patch. Usually when they come out with one, it fixes the initial detail, but completely screws up another one. But like I said, it's a Bethesda game, so I'm used to it. This is why I switched it to save every 5 mins lol.

what in sam hell is a puma?