Removing bounty via Theves Guild (spoilers ok)

• Level   5

Ok, for the life of me, I can't find anyone with the dialog options to remove bounties as in all prior TES games.  I have progressed the TG far enough to have the skeleton key (but not returned it yet) and I seriously think thats far enough for heavens sake. In oblivion, it only took a couple short quests to have access.  Morrowind, you could do it right after joining.

Who do I talk to and where are they?

"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them"-Me

• Level   5

I believe once you become a Member of Thieves Guild you can simply pay off any Guard (depending on the Crime itself) that is trying to arrest you? You won't loose your Stolen Items this way.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   5

The guards in Solitude had a bribe option for 400 or co but my bounty is only 30 there.  Thats not right.

"Understanding women isn't about knowing what button to push, its knowing when not to push them"-Me

• Level   5

WolfiesDen360

The guards in Solitude had a bribe option for 400 or co but my bounty is only 30 there.  Thats not right.

Bribe equals keep your stolen Items and not have to go through the process of Jailing/ Stripping. Pay the Bounty out-right and you'll loose all of your Stolen items and get dragged to the Jailing area. That's why it doesn't seem "right", convenience = price.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   5

In Oblivion you could pay a fence to get rid of the boutny but tin Skyrim this are the only ways to ged rid of it :

Be thane of the city where you have the bounty - works only one time every 24 hrs.

persuade bribe - via spell skill. Work only one time every 24 hrs. With minor crimes only.

Be member of the Thieve  guild - work only one time every 24 hrs.

I miss paying to the fences.

• Level   5

Bad Instincts

I AM a member of the TG.  I am far enough to have the skeleton key in the TG questline but have not returned it yet.  So how do you use the TG option and who do you use it on?  I have checked everyone down in the TG HQ in Riften.  Nobody has a dialog to pay off any bounty.

Would you explain how please?

• Level   5

WolfiesDen360

Bad Instincts

I AM a member of the TG.  I am far enough to have the skeleton key in the TG questline but have not returned it yet.  So how do you use the TG option and who do you use it on?  I have checked everyone down in the TG HQ in Riften.  Nobody has a dialog to pay off any bounty.

Would you explain how please?

Bribe the Guard, that's it. You don't pay anyone off in the Guild itself.

• Level   5

LostKauz

WolfiesDen360

Bribe equals keep your stolen Items and not have to go through the process of Jailing/ Stripping. Pay the Bounty out-right and you'll loose all of your Stolen items and get dragged to the Jailing area. That's why it doesn't seem "right", convenience = price.

Well, its so far out of line from other TES games is what I meant.  In Morrowind/Oblivion, you could pay off the bounty for half price via the Thieves guild.  I was expecting 15  (1/2) not 400 (more than 10x) and not to a guard, it was never to a guard.  It was always to someone in the TG.

I thought the bribe was only going to make this guard go away, not all of them.  It pays off the bounty and  the bounty will go back down to zero if I bribe the guard?

• Level   5

There are a variety of options available based on perks, guild status, and skills.  The bribe option I believe is a perk from speech and the persuade option is based on the crime you committed and your "standing" in the hold in question (or affiliation with organizations).  For the thieves guild option I believe it simply offers you a "discounted" option for paying off the crime, it mentions something like "I'm with the guild".  Now this option is conditional to having that city influeneced by the thieve's guild.  Unlike the bounties themselves (which are based on Holds) the Thieves Guild option is based on cities you have established the GUild's reputation in through the "Additional Jobs" sidequests from Delvin or Vex.  Basically you need to do 5 additional jobs in a specific city to unlock a "Affiliation Quest", once that quest is completed the Thieves Guild has a presence in that city and you now pay off your bounty with that city's guard at 1/2 the normal rate.  But you can only do it in the 5 cities you do the influence quests with.  There are other cities where you can get caught by guards (or even farms) but won't be offered the option to pay off 1/2 the charge.  One example is Riverwood.

"A Man chooses; a Slave obeys." -Andrew Ryan

"M'aiq can travel fast across the land. Some lazy types take carriages. It is all the same to M'aiq." -M'aiq the Liar

• Level   5

@SquareFantasy

Ok, thats the missing piece of the puzzle!  I had done quite a few of the optional quests but nothing seemed to be happening at all so I quit doing them (as I am not hurting for cash which seemed to be the only purpose)..  I will pick up the extra quests again then.  Thank you.

• Level   5

No problem, its a bit confusing.  Bounties are based on Holds (the large tracts of land held by a single Jarl) and the Thieves Guild influence only extends to 5 of the major cities.  I advise doing the "Additional Jobs" questline before doing the Civil War as it seems doing it in the opposite order can mess up the "Thane of Riften" quest.

"M'aiq can travel fast across the land. Some lazy types take carriages. It is all the same to M'aiq." -M'aiq the Liar

• Level   5

SquareFantasy
    I advise doing the "Additional Jobs" questline before doing the Civil War as it seems doing it in the opposite order can mess up the "Thane of Riften" quest.

Wew, thanks. I almost messed that up. I started the Civil War but after seeing the impact it made on Dragons Reach, I decided to stop just in case. Funny though, I was made Thane twice from there (once before and once afterwards?).

• Level   5

Yes if a new Jarl comes into power you can get "thaned" again, but I think only in cities where you can't buy a house.

• Level   5

I knew bounties were based on regions but just assumed a talk tree would offer you the ability to choose which hold you wished to pay off.  Will have to work on the side quests to get the holds set up,