Followers Do Not Level Up Correctly

• Level   M

[Updated 1/17/2012]

This is probably old news to most people, but it's important enough that I though it should be pinned at the top of the forum for a while. I'll leave the topic open for discussion, so long as it remains on topic of course.

From the UESP Wiki, as of 1/17/2012:

A follower's skills, health, and other stats are set when they are first created (which is typically when you enter their starting cell, become a Thane, and so on) and never improve from that point, outside of a handful of special cases. Each follower has a maximum level (which varies for each), and a specific set of favored skills, which are dictated by their class.

The players who determined this are playing on the PC, where they can use the in-game console to inspect follower stats. Please see the Wiki article's discussion page for much more detail.

Note that according to the discussion, Dark Brotherhood initiates are not affected by this bug. Their skills will advance normally.

Xbox.com Forum Moderator - This post provided as-is, with no warranty and confers no rights.

• Level   M

Followers not die unless you give them a fatal blow so to me they really no need much level as you but that is my opinion. The best way to make your companion stronger is equip them with the best gear .

• Level   4

They do need level or they do not do damage and they do not fight long enough before kneeling therefore losing threat and the mob attacks you.  Run on for the win.  Thanks for info Boid, I had forgotten about this as I have not used companions in some time.  Except when I have no choice.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Level   M

Bad Instincts
    Followers not die unless you give them a fatal blow

Area of effect attacks will kill them also. I lost my follower several times in a battle with a group of mages who were throwing fireballs around.

That aside, I suppose if all you care about is having a packhorse with you, then the followers' hard-to-kill feature makes them work well enough even without skill upgrades. However if you actually want a fighting companion, you need to trade up to better followers (from areas you haven't visited before) as you level up.

Xbox.com Forum Moderator - This post provided as-is, with no warranty and confers no rights.

• Level   5

This must be the reason why Lydia didn't last long in battles.  I dumped her and acquired the services of "Uthgerd the Unbroken" (the female Nord who you get into a fist fight with in Whiterun's tavern The Bannered Mare).  Even before I upgraded her gear she could dish out some damage.  But now that I have her wearing a full legendary enchanted Daedric armor set, daedric sword & shield, and a powerful ring and amulet, she can hold her own in any battle I get into.

• Level   5

Probably why my followers die so often (well, Lydia anyway which put me off using other followers).

I've got used to playing the lone wolf (sometimes quite litterally, lol) so even if they did fix it I wouldn't bother. Plus I like to use Storm Call shout alot, and as that hits indescriminantly (friendly or otherwise) having a follower is another bad idea.

Tag 'em and Bag 'em!

Know the enemy; Kill the enemy.

My N7 HQ

• Level   5

boid

Bad Instincts
    Followers not die unless you give them a fatal blow

Area of effect attacks will kill them also. I lost my follower several times in a battle with a group of mages who were throwing fireballs around.

That aside, I suppose if all you care about is having a packhorse with you, then the followers' hard-to-kill feature makes them work well enough even without skill upgrades. However if you actually want a fighting companion, you need to trade up to better followers (from areas you haven't visited before) as you level up.

QFT. I think that's the real purpose of the followers in the game serve you as mules and a lil of backup. Aranea and Ilia  are very effective with ranged attacks ,so as a few companions are very effective with melee but the melee ones kneel very fast sometimes . I always equip them the best i can and try to not hit them in the middle of a fight. Although , sometimes use them as a distraction to backstab enemies from behind...but mostly use them to carry my loot.

AoE don't kill them if you are using him/her ATM as a follower unless you hit them.

• Level   5

I think its sad we cant level them for them like on some of the other games and that it does really suck if they get in the way of your attacks and you kill them. Maybe a way so we can level them like we level are selfs.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Nov. 11, 2011)
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Lives Forever!
    • Level   5

Im not sure if its qwhen you enter theri zone or when you actually hire them, I met my mage mule in a bar;didnt hire him until I was lvl 35...for most the game thereafter I had to hold him back from slaughtering everything in battle before I could capture souls. When zaps lower level enemies they literally go flying across the battlefield screaming in shock

• Level   7

I've had my follower since I was a level 2-4...  I'm level 37 or so and I have no issues with him.  Granted he's often on one knee, but he has died yet (ok, unless I'm sniping and he steps infront of my arrow....).

-Purist

• Level   7

Ractus, that is the best follower I have ever had. I plan on giving him enchanted armor and rings and the such so his magic and health go through the roof. He has gotten me out of more than one situation. I just don't like that he wants my body...

• Level   7

If you want your followers to survive give them health packs, and really good armor.  Also equip them with really good weapons.

I have 110 hours into the game and I am level 31.   I have been using Aranea Lenith since the beginning of the game and she is epic in battle.  I have her fully equipped with the same exact enchanted armor I am wearing.  Plus I keep her stocked with health potions.  She usually does very well in battle but if overwhelmed she will go down on a knee.  The only time she usually dies is if I catch her on fire by accident with fireballs. (I need to enchant her some fire resistant armor but have to wait until after the 1.3 patch)  I have well over 900 saves on 5 save files so if she does die, I just load a previous save which is usually right before the current battle. So I might lose 5 minutes of gameplay.  

With that said I do wish Skyrim would show the amount of items they can carry or their level.  Heck I wish it would show all the enemies levels. I never have a clue what level an enemy is.  

• Level   2

i lost lydia when i had to go kill Cicero. Crazy f***.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

• Level   4

One thing to note as well.  If you are losing a companion and do not know why, but you use an AOE shout (not trying to spoil what it is) it will kill your companion, and you now know why lol.  I didn't realize this right away.

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

• Level   9

This explains why Sven dies from normal falmer attacks... Got him the moment I discovered Riverwood to be my pack yak but now I have to reload the game because a lonely falmer with his bow will kill Sven in few hits despite him having all the heatlh boosting enchantments on his full ebony >.<

Organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, an accident.

- Sovereign -

PSN: Sipuli91  Steam: hi_im_sipuli91

RIP 360 Elite 5/2009 - 12/2013