Dragonborn Bug - HELP!

• Level   4

Okay, now I have slogged through the DLC and reached the final battle with Miraak.  The problem is I can't avoid absorbing the dragon souls  meant for Miraak.  So he gets stuck, ethereal,  in the centre of the tower, being attacked by the same dragon who brought me to him.  The Bethesda site suggests allsorts but most of it is console commands for PC.

Can anyone suggest a way to continue the quest to it's conclusion?  I've reloaded back to the last word wall 3 times now with the same results.

"I detect a shift in the Force.  Like a million people screaming at once."

• Level   8

That's weird. Sometimes the weird ones won't fix and yeah, the pc fixes are just frustrating when you aren't on a pc. When you reload a save do you then do exactly what you have been doing before? One thing that will sometimes break a glitch like that is to do something completely different. Load and then go  back to Skyrim, do something else, or do something else on Solstheim then read the book back into Apocrypha at a different place and time.

I am the cat who walks by herself  

• Level   4

I've died  and returned, I've reloaded from last save, etc,  I even jumped of the tower in frustration and just respawned next to the ethereal Miraak.  No joy!  

After all that work and associated questing, I feel rather cheated at the mo'!

• Level   5

As The Lady Bastet suggests, those glitches can sometimes be broken by going through the nearest door, etc that requires a wait screen while a new area loads.... but is that an option for you in Apocrypha?

Don't you have to defeat each boss along the way before you can read, make a perk choice and then return to Solsteim? I'm sorry, but it's been awhile since I faced down Miraak.

Have you tried either Wiki? IMHO they are usually better when suggesting fixes for such things, especially with consoles.

I'm sure that if the mothers of belligerent nations could only meet, we would know the last of war...

-unknown

• Level   8

Actually Geddy, you can read the book at any time even in the middle of a battle. Since you often get the book at the end of a battle and may not want to go through the whole Apocrypha thing right then but you open the book when you pick it up you are allowed to just read it and leave. I have done before beginning the whole book or in the middle when I ran out of potions or realized I didn't have what I needed to finish. I quit the dark one once because I had no torches nor spells to make light so I was going to die fast or use up all my health potions. The expedient thing was to just leave. I don't know if you can leave the battle with Miraak in the middle since boss fights can be different. It may be worth a try. When you read a book a second time it takes you back to where you were not to the beginning of that book.

I made a new character once that I could not begin because Alduin wouldn't land on the tower. That was an unfixable glitch.

• Level   5

Good to know LadyB and I would defer to your excellent knowledge of the ES games. You are a great source of help to many here including myself. Thanks for the heads up! :)

I will be tackling Miraak with my second character soon enough. If I get stuck in a hopeless situation its good to know I can skeedaddle the heck out of there, and return where I left off. should have suspected since everything is pretty much how I left it back in Solsteim when I return from each book adventure.

I'm sure that if the mothers of belligerent nations could only meet, we would know the last of war...

-unknown

• Level   9

Yeah, you want to load a save back before you enter the area of the fight.

This is a glitch that's effected numerous people.

Sadly, from what I've read, this glitch is related to not encountering and killing enough dragons before you encounter Mirak.

After starting the Dragonborn questline, if you encounter and kill dragons in the open, Mirak shows up to steal souls.

Pushing the story the it's final battle, with few of these dragon encounters, or none at all, will lead to this error.

So to truly fix it, you need a save from before taking on the final quest, and you need to go rack up some dragon killing in the open for a bit.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   7

Don't forget you have to face Miraak twice. The first time he puts you in that sort off freeze and then sends you back. After he steals several of your dragon souls you then go take him out.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   8

When I faced Miraak with my mage he was just out of luck. I had no extra dragon souls. I even had words I couldn't learn because the dragons were avoiding me. lol

• Level   9

When you kill dragons in the open, it usually goes one for Mirak, one for you... and so on. Or sometimes he'll take two in a row then you get one, but you actually have to do some dragon hunting. Fortunatly, the dragons attack the town in Solsthiem every few days, so it's relativly simple to do.

• Level   8

For some strange reason, my mage rarely saw dragons. Hunting at a dragon lair did no good because after the first they don't give souls. Even fast traveling to a town didn't bring them down so Miraak and I were both out of luck.

• Level   9

You can bounce back to Skyrim and go hunting there too, but you gotta rack em up or risk a game ruining glitch.

Make sure you didn't just boat to Solsthiem without encountering the cultists yetm because if you didn't push the main game to meeting the greybeards, then the dragon appearances stay extremely scarce.

I think that's why the DLC triggers the story activation after that pount, even though you could travel there on your own before.

• Level   8

Yes, I did all that but the mage hadn't progressed much past the greybeards even though she was a high level. The cultists showed up in Iverstad as I returned from High Hrothgar. I went off and did pretty much all of Solstheim and even fought a couple of dragons there but I don't remember Miraak taking all my dragons like he did the first time I went there. I have reached a point though where it becomes difficult to remember which character did what. I still have two active high level characters and the low level summoner though she keeps messing with me because she isn't up to master difficulty and so she dies then I reset the difficulty and then the other two sail through on a soft breeze and I remember that they are tougher than that.

• Level   4

I have 15 dragon souls to spare, I have completed the main Alduin quest, I have read the black book to rerturn to Solstheim, I have NOT met Miraak in the wilds and he has not stolen any souls. This is probably one of the last quests in Solstheim to complete for me apart from the dig I have invested in. (already got the boots therein.)

Thanks for your input guys, but it looks like this might just be a dead-end.

By the way, are the dragon companions of Miraak supposed to attack him?

• Level   8

Yes, the dragons attack him especially the one you flew in on.