Disk unreadable

• Level   3

Hey everyone, Im having problems playing skyrim on MY xbox. From when i got it at launch it let me play a little bit, then it would just say (Game Error This Disc is Unreadable" now it wont let me play it at all. It lets me get into the main menu, but after i click any thing, it says its unreadable. Every other game work splendidly on my xbox, and i have been playing skyrim on my friends (same copy) but now i want to give his xbox back to him. ive tried clearing ALL the caches and all that and nothing works... any help?

• Level   9

Can you install Skyrim to the HDD?

• Level   7

Yeah, it is more than likely a problem with the disk. Borrow another copy, install it, and continue to use your copy. It should work then.

• Level   3

Nah, its not the disk.... i delete ALL my files... then i install it, and play it from the HDD, and about an hour later it just says "disk unreadable"  

• Level   1

I have been having the same problem.. Can't install it even and won't even get through the opening scene.. I've been researching all over the web and can't find any consensus.  I have no autosave files or anything so that isn't going to work.

I am getting frustrated because I just want to enjoy this game..

• Level   5

Which xbox┬┤s do you guys have,the newer S-version,or the old one?

I had disc-reading problems until the dvd-rom crashed on my old xbox,nothing on my new one,worked fine for almost a year now...

• Level   1

I have the newer S version.  No HDD in it.  Had trouble playing movie DVDs awhile back.  Every other game is fine besides MW3 says it's unreadable once a month starting last month.  Skyrim has been the only one with constant problems.

I have been reading lots of different people with my problem, but  no one with a solution

• Level   5

I have this issue.... but I sit there and open and close the tray and eventually (anywhere between 30 seconds and 15 minutes), it will start,

I swear there is only one position that the disc can be read properly and its just pot luck if I get to it quickly or not.

I have the old style Elite box but was using it standing upright for while..... never again.

• Level   3

If you are installing the game, it shouldn't be reading the DVD an hour later when it happened again for you.  If it is running from the HD, all it needs is to read the disc for about a minute when you first start, then the drive stops.  This is very noticeable for me since I am still running a first gen machine where the DVD spin sounds like a weed wacker.  If it gives you that message a whole hour later, it sounds like another problem besides the DVD.  But just to be sure, check to see if it really did install.

• Level   5

maxxxxxxed out

I have the newer S version.  No HDD in it.  Had trouble playing movie DVDs awhile back.  Every other game is fine besides MW3 says it's unreadable once a month starting last month.  Skyrim has been the only one with constant problems.

I have been reading lots of different people with my problem, but  no one with a solution

I dont know why,but xbox DVD-roms sucks,its almost like a HDD is a must buy when using xbox daily.

Bought  a xbox360S (4gb) for my son this christmas,interesting to see how long before it gets disc read issues...

I bought a HDD for my new xbox,i always install the games since the rom-crash on my old one...

As soon as you get rid of the disc-read problems,get a HDD!

• Level   1

Well that's where 50% of my problem stems from.  Every time I try to install it, it ends up only going to 15% before it says unreadable.  It could be, though I highly doubt it, that I am trying to install it to a portable storage device since I do not have an HDD, but it doesn't explain why I can't play it without that.  I think the DVD drive is just effed up.

• Level   5

How big is your portable storage? Not sure how big skyrim is without checking, which I cant do from here, but most games seems to be around 5-7GB - I can imagine that Skyrim is a big game...

That would explain why you are getitng the disc unreadable after an hour as you are playign from disc, not storage (if it hasnt installed. Furthermore, for games you are playign from HD, you have to go to my games and launch it from there, not the home page. as far as I know, that is the only way to play from HD. if you select "Play Game"  fromt eh home page, you will play form disc.

• Level   4

ukjonas

I have this issue.... but I sit there and open and close the tray and eventually (anywhere between 30 seconds and 15 minutes), it will start,

I swear there is only one position that the disc can be read properly and its just pot luck if I get to it quickly or not.

I have the old style Elite box but was using it standing upright for while..... never again.

If only...... my xbox has advanced past this stage and now refuses to even acknowledge that a disk is in the tray after hours of opening/ closing/ opening/ closing/ opening/ closing.........etc etc etc.

Thank god the new 250 GB S console is only £150.

}Censorship causes blindness{
    • Level   5

Yeah but the thought of having to download everythign all over a again is mind numbing!! I refuse to buy a transfer kit as thats just MS conning more money...

Yes - I'm tight :)

• Level   5

The 360 is about to die.  Been there several times.  In fact my PS3 just did this too about a week ago.   Had to buy a new one. You can try one of those laser disk cleaners. They are about $6.00 but I wouldnt count on that.   Usually once you start getting disk read errors, its over for that system.