Lag when opening Items menu

• Level   4

Hey guys, I've just recently started playing Skyrim again because the Dawnguard DLC came out, and I'm finding that I've encountered an old problem. Whenever I open my items menu, or open a chest or something. The game will lag for a like 10-15 seconds before the menu opens up. I've looked online for some help, and I've found that I should clear my cache. Well, I tried clearing my cache, but I don't think it worked. I cleared my Xbox system cache but it didn't prompt me for an update. It could be that I just downloaded the update today. Anyway, it still didn't work. I've heard another suggestion of committing a crime and go to jail so that the game loads all your item and everything. This is how I fixed the problem last time, but now, when I try that. Right after I click the "I submit. Take me to jail." thing with the guard. The game just freezes, it doesn't go to a loading screen or anything. So I thought, this was just going to take a while to load. But I found it was taking an extremely long time, and I know the game actually froze because the music stopped playing in Skyrim and when I tried to shut down my Xbox, I had to press the button twice. I was thinking of leaving my xbox on over night to see if it would break the freeze, just in case the game wasn't actually freezing, but I don't want my xbox to burn out or something like that. So, anyone got any ideas on a fix? Thanks!

• Level   5

Check your auto save regularity, it will hold your game up a little when it auto saves when you hit a menu.  Also, check the number of saves you have.  If you have a great number, it can effect it as well, from what I hear.  3 auto saves and 5 or 6 manual saves is what the consensus seems to be.

ENGORGE!!!!!!!
    • Level   5

I had a similar delay when going to save, it would take ages to bring up the saves list. I had around 600 saves at that time, deleted them down to 5 or 6 + autosaves and it solved my issue.

also, try clearing the game cache too (LB + RB + X from starting to load until the Press Start screen), that may well help you also.

• Level   4

Okay, I've tried deleting most of my saves. I've also tried changing when my game autosaves. However, I'm not sure if I cleared my game cache. I held down LB RB and X but it didn't give me any indication about whether or not I had successfully cleared my game cache. Is there supposed to be any indicator of it?

• Level   5

No, there is no indicator that you have cleared the game cache... as long as you have held it from the moment you start loading to the press start screen, you should be good.

• Level   2

if you want to make sure you have cleared the cache, go to the dashboard > system > storage device and you'll se the option to press Y to clear your caches. (should be right anyway, im not at my xbox atm to tell you /exactly/.)

• Level   5

^^ that is not game cache, that is the console cache

• Level   4

I've tried both, and I'm still having the problem. I've decided to just continue with the quest line and just use my kinect commands because that seems to be faster. I'll just try to get through this, then try to fix the bug. But any suggestions would be great!

• Level   2

I'm having a game issue at the moment. Bethesda support told me to clear the cache that way.

I get the menu lag aswell but my main issue is that I can't go to jail or pay off my bountys as my screen freeze's at the end of the guards dialogue. Its stopping me from continuing with the main quest as i have to talk to the general guy of solitude but i have a bounty on my head so he attacks on sight instead.

This did not fix my issue though. Now i have been told to 'wonder around' until a bounty hunter finds me so i can try and pay it off that way. If it still crashes i'm going to be so pissed.

• Level   7

I know you don't want to hear this but... If the corrupted file is saved in auto save or a normal save you have to get rid of them both. You might loose some progress but I had this problem before and had to delete several files from both the X-box and the game. Lost about 20 hours of play but the problem went away. Be careful as the files don't have the exact same name in both places. Had to go by the time stamps on the files. Somehow autosave will save a bit of corruption and that does all the junk. I'm not suggesting that you turn autosave off.

Then when you have fewer saves you'll notice a big difference. I try for the 100 file number as some of the older games used to limit to that amount. Good Luck!

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   4

Well, I don't really have any save files left. I generally get rid of most of my old saves. I've tried clearing my cache and stuff. I actually succeeded in going to jail today, but when I slept to get out, it just took me to this extremely long loading screen. I just left it there but eventually just stopped it after it was loading for three hours.

• Level   4

I've been getting alot of in-game lag since Dawnguard, to the point where it's becoming unplayable especially at expert level!