Skyrim Freezing & Lagging

• Level   2

I've had Skyrim for quite awhile now and downloaded Dawnguard over a week ago. Since I started playing I've had occasional freezes, lags, and glitches but they're rare. Now yesterday I came home fairly late and went to play. Walking around, I experienced a lot of lagging, and every single time that I have to go to the loading screen, my xBox starts humming really loud, then goes silent and that's when the game freezes. I've tried this over 20 times and it's the same result every time. The disk is 100% clean and hardly scratched at all as it's the only game I play anymore and has been in the xBox at least 90% of it's life if not more. I've gone through every troubleshoot option and deleted every file that I can possibly delete but nothing works. The xBox is on it's on table, at least a foot from any other item, and I've tried setting it up both vertically and horizontally. It's the xBox 360 slim 4gb version, never had any problems, bought new not refurbished or used. Any thoughts? Thanks. 

• Level   5

I started having problems like that after downloading Dawnguard. I've seen others online say the same thing (at least about the lagging and freezing). I haven't had that many xbox freeze-ups (actually probably one 1) BUT I'm having TONS of lag & game freezes. Again, all since Dawnguard. I guess you've tried clearing the cache? I doubt it's your xbox. Hopefully, Bethesda will release a patch soon. I gave up on Dawnguard altogether, but let's not get into that...

Remember: Death is only the beginning.

• Level   5

I tried to link you to another page but it wouldn't let me do a hyper link. >.>  Guess I'll just post the actual link here and double post since it won't let me edit my last one! forums.xbox.com/.../192683.aspx

Remember: Death is only the beginning.

• Level   1

I too have had this problem, like hpgem said, I doubt it's your Xbox 360. I have the new 250 GB Xbox 360 slim  and I have experienced lag and freezing too. I even had this glitch where some vampires would occasionally spawn out of nowhere every time I fast travelled. I also had the problem where the Xbox 360 made really loud noises too which made me slightly worried about if the disk was being scratched or not, but is was not. Anyway I'm sure it will be fixed eventually, we just have to hang in there until a patch is released, hopefully sooner rather than later.

• Level   4

Have you guys installed the game to your hard drive? My xbox elite is gettin kinda old, its standing upwards, but I have the game installed to the drive.. I experience glitchs that mess up my game, but I don't really get freezing or anything too much anymore. Maybe you guys have too much stuff saved on your hard drives as it is? Just putting some ideas out there. :)

What Would Talos Do?

• Level   3

It seems like an obvious thing, but has anybody getting freezing/ lag tried clearing their cache?  That and keeping the number of saves down seems to work in most cases.  Just a thought, because nobody has mentioned having tried that yet in this thread.

• Level   9

Routine system cache clearing, limiting number of saves, watch how much useless junk like keys you are carrying, and game cache clearing (LB + RB + X while loading disc) are all good tips.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   7

The only thing I'm noticing is that it appears to happen more often in different areas. I shutdown and start back up whenever I notice the lagging. Some of the Forsworn hideouts seem to do it nearly everytime. I just did Shriekwind without any trouble but when at Crags Peak it does it a lot. I do close to 100 saves and then delete the bottom 70 or so. This seems to help but I think the 10mb file size has more to do with it than anything else. I was having no problems when the file size was down around 7mb.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   9

I had permanent game freeze, lag problems before DG with a 293hr character/save made the game unplayable.  (and made the XBOX 250gb make some very wierd noises) Completely fixed it by installing the game and playing perfectly since including DG.

• Level   1

vampires are meant to spawn randomly- it's part of the DG plot that they're becoming more dangerous

• Level   5

spinosaurus kin

vampires are meant to spawn randomly- it's part of the DG plot that they're becoming more dangerous

Um, not to be critical, but how on earth is that supposed to be even remotely helpful in a thread about freezing/lagging issues.  Especially since nobody brought up the subject of vampires.

ENGORGE!!!!!!!
    • Level   1

there was a passing mention earlier in the forum- but if someone thinks something is a glitch but it isn't i have to say something (OCD lol)

• Level   8

I had severe lag last night during a quest involving multiple followers and enemies fighting at the same time. It was a complete mess and craziness.

Bundy is as Bundy does