A heads up on starting Hearthfire

• Level   6

I just wanted to let people know how the new Hearthfire DLC gets triggered: You need to be in a town (I was in Riften), and a courier will deliver several messages to you. For me, there were 3 notes: one from a Jarl offering me land, another about adopting children, and a third about being able to purchase furniture for children.

That's all. If I understand correctly, the message could come from one of three Jarls.

• Level   6

An update on starting the "quests": I found out that if you don't get a note from a courier you can go to one of the three holds where lands is and speak to someone about purchasing it (if your Thane already I believe).

I went to Morthal and spoke to the Jarl's assistant and he let me purchase land. So I'm assuming you don't have to wait for the courier necessarily. I don't know if that counts for adopting kids too or not.

• Level   5

Do you get to plot your own land with in the hold or is it in a specific spot?

I have a theoretical degree in physics.

• Level   4

I got  the note for adoption, but nothing else, when I talk to the jarl's stewart, and I dont get an option to buy land.

• Level   5

Same Outlaw. I got the note about adoption pretty might instantly after I turned the game on. nothing else though.

• Level   6

I haven't taken a look at the land I bought yet because I have an appt. but I'll do it when I get back.

• Level   6

The stewart I spoke to was in Morthal and I asked to buy a house, he said there weren't any but there was land I could buy for 5000 gold. I said yes and got the achievement. But I've already helped the required number of people in that reach. Was that the problem maybe?

• Level   6

I noticed things were different with my 2 characters: My second character (my most recent playthrough) got 3 notes. My first character only got one for buying a child's room, not the other two notes. That's why I had her go to one of the 3 holds to see if she could just buy the land, and she was able to in Morthal because she's already Thane.

• Level   2

I've downloaded and recieved a letter from Whiterun's steward about converting my Alchemy lab into a kid's room but I recieved no other letters. I am already Thane of Hjaalmarch so I thought I'd get a letter from Idgrod Ravencrone's steward but I haven't. Should I delete and re-install the plug-in?

• Level   2

Rusted Cage
    Should I delete and re-install the plug-in?

I would say, no it's working fine.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   2

But the dialogue I get with the steward only refers to upgrading Breezehome, nothing about purchasing land. If I go to Morthal maybe the Steward will say about land to buy?

• Level   2

Rusted Cage

But the dialogue I get with the steward only refers to upgrading Breezehome, nothing about purchasing land. If I go to Morthal maybe the Steward will say about land to buy?

And there is nothing wrong with the Content of the DLC. Simply "redownloading" DLC doesn't make something happen in a Game.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   5

I have the note about Breezehome and signed by Proventus . I spoke to him but took no action yet. I then went to Riften and it appears I can build a kids room there too. I have no note from Riften's Steward though. I am thane of every hold possible.

I'm sure that if the mothers of belligerent nations could only meet, we would know the last of war...

-unknown

• Level   5

Okay, here's a clue.(since it seems all of the Interweebs is very confused).

You need to speak with a Jarl's Assistant in which a House is not normally for Sale in that Town/ City. That is if you did not receive any Courier Notice for buying a Plot of Land.

• Level   7

I'm intrigued by this, are we able to buy a plot of land anywhere we choose? Ha, as I was typing this I received a letter from a courier.

The Decode