Hearthfire DLC: How do you get your housecarl to show up at your built house when you are a Thane?

• Level   6

I am a Thane for all three areas where you can build a house.  One of my houses has the bedroom wing (with all beds built) and all the beds in the main hall are built too.  My housecarl is not showing up.  How do you get him to go to your house?  I've tried going back to the Jarl's house to tell him to go to my house, but he is no longer there.

• Level   8

You don't get a housecarl. You can turn any follower into your steward including housecarls from 1 of the main 5 holds. Just bring your follower to the house you built & they'll offer to be your steward -- if they don't, just talk to them & you'll see the option to offer it to them.

Dragon's Dogma 1000/1000 on 2 gamertags. #nerd
    • Level   M

I was fixing to post that.  I was watching the wife play and she said we need one so she got a follower.  Then went to the house.  Then talked again and got it.  Not 2 min later whats her name in Falkreach came walking up the road by my house ( the one that I got from Jarl).......really?  lol

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. @PhDPeddler

• Level   5

You DO get a housecarl, at least I got one in Falkreth(sp?), however they do not automatically become your steward. You can talk to them and have them become your steward, otherwise they just patrol the grounds outside on guard duty.

• Level   3

As eber said, I have both a housecarl AND a steward. The housecarl literally just showed up and started walking the perimeter of the property when I had only the foundation built. My house is finished and he still patrols the outside perimeter and occasionally walks through the home, but sometimes he disappears for 24 hours or so. No idea why or what he does.

Edit: I use the property from Dawnstar in the Pale so it's not only Falkreath.

Oklahoma Sooners l Chicago Cubs l OKC Thunder l Chelsea FC l FC Schalke l FC Dallas l Dallas Cowboys l Dallas Stars

• Level   1

i got the dawnstar follorwer his name was gregor and i cant find him

• Level   1

Still not seeing a housecarl.  I have Lydia from Dragonsearch  following me but there is no option to buy anything from her

• Level   1

ColonelBoston

You don't get a housecarl. You can turn any follower into your steward including housecarls from 1 of the main 5 holds. Just bring your follower to the house you built & they'll offer to be your steward -- if they don't, just talk to them & you'll see the option to offer it to them.

False. You do get a house carl.  He walks around your property while you are building your house.  Once your house is big enough, he spawns inside of it. lol

eber3

You DO get a housecarl, at least I got one in Falkreth(sp?), however they do not automatically become your steward. You can talk to them and have them become your steward, otherwise they just patrol the grounds outside on guard duty.

True.  You do indeed get a housecarl as I just mentioned. I have one for the Dawnstar house.   You are also correct that they do not automatically become your Steward.  Which leads me to my current problem.

I have a follower and the second that I allow the house carl to become my steward, my follower instantly leaves.  I tried at least 4 times and lose my follower every time. So currently I do not have a Steward.  Which means I have no animals for my new house.   :(   Not sure how to resolve this without losing my follower.  BTW my follower is Aranea Lenith.  I guess I could check and see if she is at Azura.  But its nice having her to carry my items for building the house.

• Level   7

I don't think she is one of the followers you can turn into a steward. I'm trying to experiment with this to see who can and can't be stewards, and my theory so far is that anyone who isn't considered a "warrior class" can become a steward. Though I'm thinking people you can marry is a factor too, but like I said, I'm experimenting.

what in sam hell is a puma?

• Level   7

You can turn the Housecarl that you got from the Jarl of the hold your house is in. You have to finish the "Main Hall" first before you get the option. If you left your housecarl at the long house, they will eventually show up.

Why would you hire the "Housecarl" from another hold to steward your new home in a different hold?

Yarra is my housecarl / steward for Lakeview Manor. Ysolda and my new daughter live there now. That little girl was practicing in the basement with the dagger I gave her. Very impressive moves.

Voldimar is the housecarl / steward at my other home. He actually has been caught mining clay during his off hours. lol

Same as the others, when you "Hire" them to be your steward you get the message, "your follower has left your services". Other than some choppy screens I'm not having any troubles since that start up problem and that was mostly my fault.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   1

i have finished my house next to dawnstar. but havent furnished the insides yet. does that factor into whether or not your housecarl will show up or not? also is there an option to go back to the jarl's longhouse and find your housecarl and tell him to follow you?

• Level   7

When I did Lakeview, I was almost finished when I caught Yarra wandering the property. She greeted me as "My Thane" and when I opened the dialogue the option was already there for her to be my steward. Reading the books and the start up dialogue later you find out that having the "Main Hall" finished is what is supposed to trigger it. She found her own way to Lakeview. When I hired her, Mjoll took off back to Riften. I've since had Mjoll back as a follower but Yarra is now my steward.

After doing the "Main Hall" on Winstad the dialogue appeared for Voldimar my Morthal housecarl. He's now my steward and I can go back to my regular followers.

Until ofcourse I start the next house.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   7

I mentioned that I was not able to keep my follower if I hired the housecarl. 

I ran an experiement with this last night.   I hired the housecarl and as expected Aranea Lenith left instantly. So I hired the housecarl to find a horse, cow, and chicken for me.  Then went to Azura to see if Aranea Lenith was there.  She was.  So I asked if she would re-join me and it worked! So now I have her again and my house carl is still there along with someone else that likes to sing to me when I enter the room. lol