Moving the family?

• Level   5

I got the wife and kid set up in my first house which is not that family friendly.  Built a second house with all the domestic features but I cant get the option to change move when I talk with the misses.  Can you have them change houses once they've settled in?  It let me change it a few times right after the wedding.

• Level   6

I had the same problem finishing Hearthfire -- couldn't move the family from Whiterun out to my big house. I tried several times to move using the "move to another house" option, wife said OK and said she'd meet me there. But, she never left Whiterun. Finally, I had her "follow me" out to the new house. When we did that, the adopted kid vanished.  

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research.

• Level   5

I dont even get the follow me option any more.  Just what do you have for sale, hows the kids, and feel like cooking?  Was wondering if the kids can move at all too?  Maybe I'll just wait for a patch and go back to questing for a minute.

• Level   6

We also need to find out if EVERYONE has this problem, or if our particular games somehow got corrupted. One possible problem area for me is that my game started back in 2011 -- so my saves might contain many pre-update bugs and glitches.  

• Level   5

I think the saved games get updated with every patch.  I only started mine probly 3 months ago.  Just chalking it up to new dlc glitch.  Just grateful it isnt a game breaking glitch just slightly annoying.  The wife tells me how she and the kids love the house every time i come home so maybe they just dont want to leave.

• Level   1

This happens to me as well. I got married to Camilla and adopted the only girl at the orphanage. Then I was all like "Yeah, I'm gonna be a phenomenal dad and husband and build my family a huge, beautiful house!" I spent about 20 hours and 25,000 gold and built a beautiful manor... that my wife and daughter wouldn't move into. I think it's an issue with all users. After scouring the internet, it seems that this is an issue for anyone who's got a family in the Breezehome in Whiterun.

• Level   5

I didnt have the fam anywhere when I started.  Went right from the ceremony to one of the manners and thats where it locked up but good to know that it is wide spread issue which will hopefully be fixed soon.  thanks.

• Level   5

Yeah. Once you adopt a kid that kid is stuck in the house you put him/her in. And the wife automatically moves there as well. And then the move request for the wife is gone. It's obviously a bug. The move option for the wife should stay, and the kids should automatically move with her.

• Level   6

So, my vast 3-wing estate with beautiful furnishings, horse, cow, chickens, garden, carriage, steward, bard, greenhouse, kitchen, extra beds, and mounted animals is just my own little "man cave" while the family stays in Whiterun?  Nobody at Bethesda caught this obvious flaw?  

• Level   7

OldPepsiMan

So, my vast 3-wing estate with beautiful furnishings, horse, cow, chickens, garden, carriage, steward, bard, greenhouse, kitchen, extra beds, and mounted animals is just my own little "man cave" while the family stays in Whiterun?  Nobody at Bethesda caught this obvious flaw?  

That really does bite... Now I have to ask which of the homes that we can build would probably be the best one for the family? My current char isn't married yet and hasn't adopted, but I started the Falkreath house. So now I'm either stuck with putting kids & family in that one and not having a choice but to keep them there or waiting until I get the one I really want to have the family in built? Especially when I don't know which place I really want them in? Booo :(

• Level   7

Ok WOW. So if I married Aela with my Imperial character and she has been in BreezeHome for months, she won't move to whichever house I build? If that's true what's the point in me buying this new dlc then? LOL

Where is the quote button?

• Level   7

I did my Falkreath (Lakeview Manor) with the full intention of putting my Family there. Did all the Homey sort of stuff, kitchen, bedrooms and storage for Ysoldas store idea. Moved Ysolda in and the headed right for Riften. Chose Runa for her spunky character as all the little boys seemed a tad bit timid for a Dragonborn Kid. Yarra was already my steward and was putting the finishing touches on the storage area.

So far all has been great. I read somewhere previous to all that, plus I didn't want to give up my alchemy room for some little brat kid, that having the Whiterun rebuild would cause the adopted child to move there directly. Sounds like I got lucky. I haven't asked her yet but Ysolda still has the move option in her dialogue. The only little thing I have noticed is that she won't offer things for sale unless she is inside the house.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   9

I haven't even gotten married yet in this playthrough. I wonder if the lady that sells me wood is available. She always makes it pleasant to, um, get wood.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   7

Advantage Camo

Ok WOW. So if I married Aela with my Imperial character and she has been in BreezeHome for months, she won't move to whichever house I build? If that's true what's the point in me buying this new dlc then? LOL

OK, my 'theory' from several different posts and the info they've given, it sounds like the kid moving into the Whiterun house is where the problem lies. I've heard that there is a glitch that won't allow you to have more than 1 child if you adopt and move a child into Breezehome because there isn't room for 2 children there. But I've also heard that it's the children that you can't move. Once you put them in a house, that's where they stay and that's where your spouse will move to. This would explain the "1 child glitch" as well. If I were you, I'd get Aela to move BEFORE you do any adopting, and be certain that you're happy with the place you're currently in before you adopt. Don't know if that will work or not, but it's worth a try.

If you do decide to try it (if you can) let us know if it does work?

• Level   1

I moved Aela to Lakeside Manor before adopting and then having adopted Lucia (the only kid I've run into with the adoption option), I got stuck back in Breezehome. I've also noticed that the children's beds in Lakeside state that they are owned... owned by what? Phantom kids?