MAJOR Issue With Freezing

• Level   8

Okay, freezing has been an issue for me in this game since the day it launched. However, it was never gamebreaking... until now.

-

First of all, I want to preface this by saying I regularly clear my console cache as well as the Skyrim specific cache & the game is loaded to my HDD.

-

Now, I've been playing this game a lot lately & if I played for 2 hours, I was guaranteed 1 load screen freeze. But today while playing the end of the Dawnguard DLC (which I have played before w/ minimal issues) I immediately froze when trying to go through the Inner Sanctum door. I turned my console off, rebooted it, loaded the game up & froze in the same exact spot. Since then I've tried clearing my caches, loading earlier saves, fast traveling away & coming back -- all w/o a single problem UNTIL I get to the door that leads to the Inner Sanctum. EVERY time I try to go through that door I immediately freeze.

-

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty far along w/ my character (level 63) & I'm getting pretty fed up w/ all the freezing, especially w/ my history w/ Bethesda games (namely FONV -- where I lost EVERY character because of freezing & file corruptions). 

Dragon's Dogma 1000/1000 on 2 gamertags. #nerd
    • Level   8

No one? Nothing? Ah sh... I guess I'm done w/ Skyrim if I can't progress my character...

• Level   8

Sorry you are having issues with Skyrim.  Here are some ideas to make it run a LOT better.

1. Clear cache

To clear cache

1. Go to the system blade on the dashboard

2. Go to the right to Memory

3. Press Y

4. Click "Clear Cache"

5. Click Yes

2. Make sure you are not overstocked with keys.  Sometimes there will be hundreds of keys in your inventory. Especially Dwemer Museum keys.

3. Install the game.

4. Make sure you dont have more than 10-15 save files. This is the most common problem people have.  They have tons of save files and it kills this game. You do not need more than 5-10 save files.  You can save as many times as you want, just keep your save "files" as low as possible. No more than 10-15.

5. Uninstall and re-install the game. Since several patches have been released, this can also help.

6. Dont leave items just sitting around. Pick them up and store them in a chest or barrel.

• Level   7

Well! I'm not going to tell you all that other crap about clearing caches and such.

When this happened to my game I did have to start all over from scratch with a brand new beginning and all. Something about the so called upgrade that "Fixed" stuff. I lost a charcter that had over 600 hours at level 68.

Now for the thing you might try, IF you haven't given up yet.

I had a 20 meg save file. 1.6 couldn't go backwards and everything broke. The same thing happened to me. I couldn't go through any gate or door without a total freeze.

This time around, I have noticed that getting rid of junk I had in storage barrels and drawers has made a huge difference in the savefile size. No problems to date yet. My save file size is staying at 12 megs and when I notice it go to 14 megs, I run around and clear junk out of residences and anywhere else I have it stashed away. Next time I save I see the file size is back to 12 megs.

I went the whole gambit of trying to load earlier saves as far back as I could until I got a compatability issue. The one thing I didn't try back then was to clear out junk to get the file size down. You might try that before you totally give up.

When and if you decide to have another go at it. I can tell you for me, it took about a week to calm down after that incident.

I completely deleted all aspects of Skyrim from my X-box and did the system clearing maintenance. After all that I reloaded the game back to my HDD and started all over from scratch. I chose not to get Dawnguard for the simple reason that it's not totally stable yet. I'm waiting for that day.

I do have Hearth Fire and so far everything is running smooth and acceptable. Save for the minor overlooked wierd junk that is still in everyones game.

--

Try to see if you can fast travel to your residences and dump your stash to get the save file size down to 12 megs or less.

--

Maybe take a few days off Colonel, I'm sure I speak for a few other folks around here, we'd hate to see you go away.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   5

it does look that way, the more you progress in the game the more junk you accumulate and then the slower the game gets, the savefile size for my first character is 10 mb who is level 45 and my second is 5 mb who is level 12, anyway i tend to get rid of junk or unwanted items asap

• Level   5

Just make sure when you "get rid" of that junk, you actually sell it.  If you just throw it onto the ground, it will accumulate over time and create issues with your game.  Sell the junk or put it into a barrel somewhere.  Which is the same as I mentioned in #6 above.

• Level   8

@Camaroboy: While I appreciate the reply, did you even read my OP? I answered 3 or 4 of your suggestions in it.

-

As for the key suggestions, I have been long aware of the key issue & don't have a single duplicate key in my inventory. Furthermore, as a straight mage, my base weight in 13lbs, so my inventory is usually quite empty.

-

Also, I went and checked my save file (I had 3, now have 1) & it's only 11mb. And again, I can fast travel away from the location I'm stuck at and do everything normally (including go through doors), but it's going through that specific doorway to get into the inner sanctum so I can find & fight the Snow Elf is where I freeze every single time. So yeah -- it's not that I can't go through any doors, it's that I can't go through that door & I can't finish Dawnguard w/o going through it.

• Level   5

Remove workbenches, that should fix the freeze issue.  My Lakeview Manor kept freezing until I removed all the workbenches, it turned out that the "Main hall workbench" was causing a freeze issue for some reason.

-

EDIT: Sorry I thought you had said the Hearthfire DLC.  Sorry, I don't have a solution. 

• Level   M

Hey CB, as you stated you are playing game from HD.  Have you tried this yet for your game and DLC?  Please over look clearing game cache it was part of the cut and paste.  But delete game and DLC and try loading them again is what I am asking.

Thank you for contacting Bethesda Softworks Technical Support.

1. Enter your hard-drive.

2. Select Games and apps.

3. Select the Skyrim Folder.

4. Delete the file that says title update.

5. Clear your cache.

Try clearing the cache. To clear the Xbox 360 cache select My Xbox, System Settings, Storage. Then highlight the HDD, press Y and select Clear System Cache. Select Yes when prompted to perform Hard Drive Maintenance.

*Deleting the cache will remove temporary game files and updates. Saved games, profiles, DLC etc. will NOT be removed.

6. Replay the game, allowing the patch and game-data to re-install.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at http://support.bethsoft.com or our technical support staff at (410)-568-3685. Please, include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,

Sean C at Bethesda Softworks Technical Support

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. @PhDPeddler

• Level   M

Sorry CB I grabbed the wrong cut and paste.  Have you tried to delete and re-download all DLC?

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. @PhDPeddler

• Level   7

Seems like your in the same boat I was in. By what your saying you've already done all I could remember. I read somewhere over at Bethesda forums that someone had a similar problem. They said they went on about other things for awhile, and when they got back to the troubled quest it some how had fixed itself. I know thats kind of lame but it might be worth a try. Do some other things and then come back to that quest later on.

--

When I had things that I couldn't sell, I put them in the barrels outside the Whiterun smitthy. That way they got reset and completely disappeared from my game. Most of those items have reappeared somewhere else since then.

--

Also I'm wondering if it's quest specific, maybe there is something you forgot to do first? Is the quest arrow on the door?

That's the way mine was, the quest arrow was on the door I had to go through, but I couldn't go through it.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   8

Darkon X

Remove workbenches, that should fix the freeze issue.  My Lakeview Manor kept freezing until I removed all the workbenches, it turned out that the "Main hall workbench" was causing a freeze issue for some reason.

-

EDIT: Sorry I thought you had said the Hearthfire DLC.  Sorry, I don't have a solution. 

Interestingly enough, I can't remove the workbenches. When I go to the drafting table, my ONLY option is "small house" even though I have a 3 wing house that's completely decorated...

-

As for my freezing issue, I got past it. I left the game alone for a few days & when I went back I just went through about 4 or 5 wayshrines & then went back to the door & got through.