Hammerfell

• Level  

Well, I've never really been a big fan of snow, but I've always loved the concept of a desert. Rather than combat, the key to crossing a desert would be survival rather than combat skills, it'd put a larger focus on how well you've kitted out, what you've brought with you (ie. the garb you wear, waterskins, etc), and combat would be second place as the desert would be a dry arid land, largely unoccupied but with dwemer ruins (Volenfell for example) scattering the mountain regions and the Alik'r desert. Creatures would consist of desert lions and vultures among other magical beings (from the top of my head I'd say Fire Salamanders).

-

-

I know what you're thinking, "Skyrim's only a year old, and it's huge why do you need more?", well yeah, but I've completed most of Skyrim and the dungeons have never interesting me much and became old quickly after I defeated all Dragon Priests and questlines.

-

-

IDEA'S FOR HAMMERFELL.

-

-

Ok, so now I'm going to elaborate on my idea's for a desert area.

To start off, I think that the cities would hug the edges of the desert but civilisation would be more base around the coastline as would logic see fit, water = survival. However going along with that knowledge, wildlife and nomadic Redguards would flock to the oasis' where some form of wildlife could also grow, these would be restock area's. I also imagine there would be mountainous areas in Hammerfell, perfect for mining (deserts are old and full of natural resources) which would mean abandoned mines, bandits, orcs, shade (which would lead to dangerous creatures), cities and such.

-

The survival system and crossing the desert:

Well, as I said, I don't like in Skyrim how melee combat and simple charging into combat is simple and easy, and I've never liked that diseases and well, the weather to put it simply don't play even a minor role in Skyrim. It's a dangerous place, cold and forbidding, weather should provide a role in this, blizzards shouldn't make you see anything past a metre, sprinting shouldn't even be an option, you saw it coming, why did you walk out into it, if anything, I'd rather be forced into cover to stop myself from freezing to death and gaining problems such as frostbite.

-

So, I thought that in Hammerfell, you could make that a bit different. The clothes you wear govern how well you can repel heat, ie. less waterskins are used. Which leads me to another problem. Water. In the desert water is obviously a problem and such why it's important to carry waterskins with you, waterskins can be made out of different material and hold more water for the same weight. (ie. using a dragons bladder rather than a cows bladder would be more efficient, but you have to kill something more impressive, another thing I want to discuss as well) Sandstorms will be dangerous, straight up, if you see a sandstorm in the distance, find cover, NOW, or you WILL die.

-

Combat in Hammerfell is something I liked for sake of balance and that you can't just run around meleeing everything with that OP Axe of yours. Archery and Magic will actually a purpose now other than a cool gimmick (talking about Destruction here, not restoration and conjuration). You see, in the open desert, you have long lines of sight, so an Archer or Magician could spot you with your axes charging at you from one end of the Alik'r to the other and shoot you at leisure, but in the mountain and cities, melee would play it's usual role of charging them down and OHK them. Even raiding forts and such (another idea I won't talk about yet) melee would have a lead role.

-

Now I've just realised how much I've typed in a few minutes, I'll stop now, but I have MANY ideas and if you'd like to hear them please say so and I'll rewrite another post consisting of thought and elaborating on a lot of the vague ideas I've had.

• Level  

If you read it all, thanks for reading, and double thanks if you posted your opinions, and triple thanks if you'd honestly like me to elaborate on my ideas. :)

• Level   7

Sounds like you want survival mode like fallout new Vegas had. If you've played farcry 3 yet, I'd love to see that combat dynamic included.

what in sam hell is a puma?

• Level   7

Played about 20 minutes of New Vegas, literally hated it and never touched it again, so I don't know what survival mode is. What I want is for survival to play a larger role, especially in the Alik'r desert, I just added a few idea's I thought were pretty good, I got more if anyone's interested. I will play Far Cry 3 soon, it looks fantastic.

-

Anyway, thanks for reading my post, it was actually going to be a fair bit longer. O_o

• Level   7

Survival mode makes it so you actually have to drink water and eat to survive also. Fast travel takes into account how soon you would get dehydrated and if you could do it or not. Basically you played as if you were a real living person. I've yet to complete the game on survival mode yet though. Also, farcry 3. SUPERB game.

what in sam hell is a puma?

• Level   5

Yeah its a pretty good concept man :)

I can actually spell. I just use a faulty keypad.

• Level   5

bump