Question Regarding Stopping Random Dragon Attacks/Encounters (Main Quest Spoilers)

• Level   5

I'm looking to stop random dragon attacks in my game, so my question is this...

___

During the main quest there are a set of quest called the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller and A Blade in the Dark. They're back to back and during this time Dragons stop spawning at random. (They'll still be at Word Walls). Now, I've heard that you can talk to Delphine and give her the note, get the Horn of Jurgen Wind Caller from her, then immediately walk out and she'll infinitely wait in the secret room of the Sleeping Giant Inn. This keeps Alduin from ever going to Kynesgrove and raising the a named dragon and returning dragon spawns back to normal. From there you can return the horn to the Greybeards and be officially recognized as Dragonborn which will allows you to initiate the main quest of the Dragonborn DLC.

___

So the real question is... Does this actually work?

___

I know this might not actually make sense to anyone, but if anyone has any experience with this is or is just a deep well of knowledge regarding Skyrim, I would be very much grateful for any information anyone can bring forth.

• Level   5

I started the Dragonborn DLC before I did any of that.

-

But yeah, it might work, go test it out or google it.

• Level   5

I've Googled myself crazy over this. This was basically my last ditch effort before having to test it manually myself as it's going to take a while with my current character to reach that point.

___

Thanks for the input though and if anyone else has anything else further to add, please do. I'll try to test this myself and will post the results if I find anything relevant.

• Level   5

Alright, I did a full test on this. It does appear to stop the random dragon attacks while still being able to let you do as you please.

___

They will only appear in pre-determined locations such as the word walls. This also completely stops Alduin from appearing again at kynesgrove and halts the main quest progress.  

___

Wouldn't recommend this for someone who has yet to do the the main quest, but for others wishing to not be plagued by buggy dragon attacks, then this may very well be an answer. And all quest are completely open to the player including the Civil War and the Dragonborn Add on.

___

You don't even have to return the Horn of Jurgen Windcaller if you don't want to, but returning it doesn't hurt either. And if you ever feel like starting the main quest back up, all you have to do is return to the secret room in the Sleeping Giant inn.

___

Hope this helps someone who had the same questions as me, because there are many topics to be searched on Google, but none (not even including the wiki) had a definitive answer for this. So enjoy ;)

• Level   5

Whats the problem having random dragon attacks anyway?

You can tap or let it snap!
    • Level   5

It's just personal preference is all. Some people roleplay non-dragonborn characters and others run around suckin up souls like its going out of style.

___

This is a happy medium for console players. And it still allows for the Civil War and the Dragonborn DLC to be completed without having to involve yourself into the main quest any further.

• Level   5

ok then guess im a mixture of both!  lol

You can tap or let it snap!
    • Level   6

Just don't start the main story...

The System Has Failed

• Level   5

Avoiding the main quest in the beginning of the game is fine and all. but you are locked out the majority of civil war quest until you defeat the Dragon outside of whiterun. This is just a method for those who dont want much to really do with the MQ while not being locked out of anything else.

___

Its like having your cake and eating it too.