Hearthfire - Best house?

• Level   8

I'm gonna download Hearhfire just because I want me own home. Now I'm sure veterans probably have all three, but if you had to pick one, which would you pick?

Reading up on the WIKI, I'm leaning towards Heljarchen Hall as it seems it has the least (reported) bugs, and I like the idea of looking out at the Throat of The World.

Are any easier to complete than others, cheaper, better, less likely to be trashed by baddies etc etc?

• Level   8

All I know is that I bough lakeview manor, the one by Falkreath. Every time I go there, theres a new giant to meet me.

\o/

Praise The Sun!

• Level   1

I don't know about better or worse, but I love Heljarchen Hall. I have a few characters, and have done the houses in different places. I've built them with different additions too. With Heljarchen, I built the bedroom, trophy room, and armory which gave so many ways to show off my trophies. The only glitch I've found there is the fact that my bard disappeared.

I think I've had more baddies in Lakeview than anywhere else. There are even two giant camps close to the hall, but they don't seem to bother me much.

• Level   1

Falkreath is the easiest one to obtain and enemy appearances seem to have stopped.

They want to see me shot up, locked up, encage me...

I come back bigger... stronger... and angrier.

• Level   7

I liked them all but, there are still a few things I'm going to be more careful about this time around. As in, choosing what to put on mannequins. They have a tendency to clone original outfits forever. Great if you want to make money. Then the fact that whatever you choose is permanent I'll be more careful. Choose the view as the only one I didn't much care for was the one by Solitude. Neat stuff and all  but snow is pretty for only so long. I found that fast travel causes all sorts of attacks that I didn't get when actually walking to the houses. Other than that all was normal most of the time. I already had "Thane" status in all the holds when I got Hearthfire so I had none of the other glitches. One other thing I did notice is that having a horse at the home caused more bandit attacks. No horse = No bandits. They seem to love to kill off my horse. Keeping the workbenches down to the one your working seemed to do away with other problems also. Having my Steward do the work took very long to get it done.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   7

^

Is there any way to stop mannequins cloning equipment? I now have a whole bunch of unusable mannequins, many of which are half Vampire, half Nordic : (

• Level   7

ChainSmokingBob

^

Is there any way to stop mannequins cloning equipment? I now have a whole bunch of unusable mannequins, many of which are half Vampire, half Nordic : (

ive noticed this too. its not as often as the old glitch was, but it seems to spawn back after a few days. im guessing you would have to restart a completely new game and seeing if it does it. as far as which house is best is relative. each house layout is the same, but the area around each house is different. lakeview is more of a farm stead type home, where another one has a fish hatchery. cant remember what the third one had sadly :( i like lakeview manor simply because you can have your own garden lol.

what in sam hell is a puma?

• Level   7

I hate it, I really like the mannequins : (

Having some Ancient Falmer Armour duplicated could be cool, but it's no good if I can't display it anywhere... ; )

• Level   7

yea, me too. i kinda wish there was a larger room so you can have a ton of mannequins and plaques so you can display everything. be almost like window shopping lol.

• Level   7

Hell yeah. I don't know if you've played Dragonborn but one of the houses at the start is loaded with weapon plaques near either an Enchanter or an Alchemy Table... that many or more would be great.

• Level   6

After trying and enjoying all 3 estates, my wife and family complained about living out there in the dangerous wilds. She even admonished me with, "What were you thinking bringing us out here?"  Between that, the bandits, the dragons, the kidnappings, and being inconveniently far from stores and shops, I moved them back into town. That big house in Windhelm is pretty nice and I've had no further complaints from the wife.  

If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research.

• Level   7

ChainSmokingBob

Hell yeah. I don't know if you've played Dragonborn but one of the houses at the start is loaded with weapon plaques near either an Enchanter or an Alchemy Table... that many or more would be great.

i have all the DLC so far and all houses. the solstheim house is by far my fave for that reason alone. plus its right down the road from all the shops which are bunched pretty close. just wish there was more to do there is my only complaint.

• Level   7

PIRATE DUCK

ChainSmokingBob

i have all the DLC so far and all houses. the solstheim house is by far my fave for that reason alone. plus its right down the road from all the shops which are bunched pretty close. just wish there was more to do there is my only complaint.

I really liked the Solstheim house. Best one for free that's for sure. The mannequins thing is hit or miss. One does clone a armor while another won't wear a helmet. Some even move around as you enter or leave. Best ones so far are the ones in the Windhelm home. Still have full sets of armor and have been changed around with no problems. The Solstheim house they move and change on their own but I still like that house the best.

Scared the heck out of me when I had Miraak's armor on one with weapons and all. came back to find the dang thing naked. Went outside and came back in to find everything was just fine. Then my Nordic one would loose parts from time to time. Pretty spooky until I figured out that re-entry would fix it all back.

...Angelus ignem tenebris blue... Semper Fi! Semper Cautus!

Texas Expedition.

Retired Sailor, growing up backwards! Not here to offend anyone!

• Level   7

AngelusTenebrus

PIRATE DUCK

ChainSmokingBob

I really liked the Solstheim house. Best one for free that's for sure. The mannequins thing is hit or miss. One does clone a armor while another won't wear a helmet. Some even move around as you enter or leave. Best ones so far are the ones in the Windhelm home. Still have full sets of armor and have been changed around with no problems. The Solstheim house they move and change on their own but I still like that house the best.

Scared the heck out of me when I had Miraak's armor on one with weapons and all. came back to find the dang thing naked. Went outside and came back in to find everything was just fine. Then my Nordic one would loose parts from time to time. Pretty spooky until I figured out that re-entry would fix it all back.

thats what she said.

• Level   8

I settled on Heljarchen for now (I'll do all three eventually) and I've got it almost completely decked out, just the odd trophy to mount. But these workbenches are driving me mad - constantly re-setting so that EVERYTHING is available for a build again - even though they're not, I've done them.

Sometimes they fix up when you re-activate them, sometimes not - I can't find a pattern.

It's obviously a glitch, anyone know the workaround?