Corrupted Save? Think AGAIN!

• Level   3

I went to bed early last night, because I was tired.  I woke up early this morning and had some spare time before work, so I fired up Tomb Raider.

I had just one save file, at 73% completion, at the very start of the beach section.  I did not have any saves for this game on Cloud.

Anyway, I fired up the game, and tried to load my save.  The game froze.  I had no other choice but to turn off the console, and restart.  And the same thing happened over and over again.  Frustrated, I almost deleted the save, but instead, searched online to see if this was a known problem that has a work around.

Fortunately, this issue seems to be occurring to other players as well, and there is a work around.  Apparently, this issue isn't caused because the save file is corrupted, but it is for some other unknown reasons that is yet to be determined by Crystal Dynamics.

The workaround is as follows:

1. Start a brand new game on a different save slot.

2. Play on until the very first auto save, indicated by the TR logo at the very bottom right of the screen, right around when you see Lara swimming in the waters.

3. Go back to Main Menu.

4. Reload the save file in question.

When you do this, it works every time and the game seems to play without issues.  If you don't do this, then the game will always freeze everytime you try to load the save from the main menu the very first time you crank up the game.  This means that it definitely isn't a corrupted save file issue.  It has to do with something else, but at this point, nobody seems to know what it is.  Hopefully there is a patch in the works to fix this issue in the near future.

All credits for finding the workaround for this issue goes to the posters at the Eidos Tomb Raider community forums.

Wouldn't it be cool to have my trophies converted to gamer score? :) PSN ID: hodory022908 Currently NOT In Use
    • Level   4

Hey GT...think this works on other games and other corrupted save files?

Timing IS everything.

• Level   3

Hey there Stranger! :)

--

I think this situation is unique to this game.  I only found out about this issue this morning.

--

I hope you aren't having a similar problem with another game?

Wouldn't it be cool to have my trophies converted to gamer score? :) PSN ID: hodory022908 Currently NOT In Use
    • Level   4

:)

I had the issue with The Cave. (great arcade game, btw). I had all my ducks in a row in terms of gathered achievements...I was on the very very last mission to complete the game and got the corrupted save file. so I got robbed out of some final achievements. made me so dang mad. Had hours and hours and hours in the game to get the 100% and then in the last few minutes it goes wonky! sheesh!

Timing IS everything.

• Level   3

Yeep!

--

That's terrible... I would be very upset myself... fortunately, I haven't run across this kind of issue until this morning with this game.  It's gonna be a little annoying having to start a brand new game every time I want to play off my saved game, but it is definitely better than starting over... at least for now.

--

Have you played the other Lara Croft arcade game yet?  I believe it is called Guardian of Light?

• Level   1

Thank you so much!

I was at 84% and was so close to finishing it, but when it started happening to just my 1st save file, and not my 2nd save file, I thought it was corrupt.

I was ready to delete the save file, but here's your post!

• Level   4

Good to know. I've been experiencing freezing everytime I tried to continue my game. I was only 38% into the game so I didn't loose much.

Though for me this didn't start until after the recent update.

• Level   3

The latest update patch note indicated that it tries to address the freezing issue while trying to access save files, but it doesn't really say that it completely eliminates the issue.  I haven't really tested out to see if the problem has gone away entirely since I don't want to keep resetting my console.

---

It seems though, that the issue is still there, according to you, Wikkiwild1.  Hopefully another patch soon can eliminate the issue completely.

• Level   6

yeah...that was really pissing me off. seems like after the seond pach it started doing this to me. i was at 92% and ready to throw my xbox though a window or trade tombraider in. i did that new save file thing before i found out that it was the workaround....only it only worked once for me. i installed the game and it started right up. then the next time it froze. it seems like a hit and miss with me. it once took me 20 mins to finnaly get my game to load. its crap and they need to fix that. its an amazing game and i dont wanna trade it in but if they cant fix it ill never replay it.

• Level   3

I am not sure if installing the game onto the HDD makes any difference on whether or not the problem becomes worse.  I've done 2 playthroughs now and the 2nd run didn't give me any hiccups.  However, if I were to try to load my very 1st save slot without doing that trick, it still freezes for me.  I guess the patch didn't completely eliminate the problem.

-----

I guess the workaround isn't 100% foul proof either then... it sucks that you were at 92% completion... so close...

• Level   5

its happened to me aswell!!!! I don't get it?

• Level   5

my save has completely gone, from 36% to 0% yet I still have the achievements, can any one help??

• Level   3

Sorry to hear that... =op

• Level   5

I did have some freeze Glitches most notably right after the cut scene in the mountain pass.

Having a wonderful time. Wish I was here.