Change by ESPN to new WatchESPN app for XBOX is very bad for users

• Level   1
    For the past 2 years I've been watching, most the most part, ALL ESPN college football games on my XBOX using my xbox GOLD account (which I PAY for) and an "approved ISP" . This included ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, even ABC games.

This past Thursday night I cranked up my xbox thinking I was going to watch the Carolina v Vandy game, NOT, then last night I thought I would watch Tenn v NC State and Mich State v Bosie, NOT - NOT.

After more research I have discovered that ESPN has totally changed game availability on the xbox ESPN app!!!  it's called  WatchESPN  .... NOT Apparently I will no longer be able to get most of the MEANINGFUL games that are broadcast on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, etc like I've been able to do for the last 2 years. For the most part I will apparently only be able to get these games that are on broadcast ESPN, ESPN2 , abc, etc on the xbox  IF I have a cable provider. WHY BOTHER. If I had a cable provider I wouldn't be paying for an xbox gold account and watching football on my xbox. DUH

The whole reason I'm paying for an xbox gold account was to be able to watch ESPN college football games on my xbox. Obviously ESPN has bent over for the GREEDY cable companies.

I'm more than disappointed. I'm ready to cancel my xbox gold account. If ESPN and Microsoft don't figure this out real soon I'll be canceling my xbox gold account

Joel

• Level   1

I've been wondering why the ESPN app has changed so much myself.  Highlight content is not worth anything--that's the stuff that I hate about ESPN in the first place...I don't need any hype-lights!  I liked using the ESPN app because I was able to see coverage of sports and events that I'd never get to see on the other espn networks.  So, why even have an ESPN app?  I switched internet providers just to get the stupid app and now it's worthless.  Some deal XBOX has with ESPN!!

• Level   1

It's not just an XBOX thing. ESPN took off any games that are shown on any of their ESPN Networks from ESPN3. It does not matter how you get it, XBOX, computer, tablet whatever. To get all those games you now must have access to WatchESPN which is only available if your cable provider has a deal with ESPN( my cable company Charter does not ) and obviously that means you now need a cable subscription.

• Level   1

The worst part about it all is that this info did not come out until around Thursday or Wednesday of last week.  That is at best one day before the season started.  I too did not have ESPN and now will not because of how they have handled this.  I also justified Gold because the ESPN app.  Now, I am in real doubt about my desire to keep it in the future.

• Level   1

I thought gold subscribers would be able to watch Monday night football? I swear I read an article to that affect at some point this summer.

• Level   1

I'm still ticked that my cable company doesn't provide access to the ESPN app, yet I get HBO GO and all the others.

• Level   1

Yeah, this is serious B-S that ESPN pulled.  I canceled my cable subscription a while ago so that I could just watch everything I wanted to watch through the XBox - sports on ESPN, TV shows on Hulu, and movies on Netflix.  This set up works significantly worse thanks to ESPN's change.  I know complaining about it here won't help anything, but I just needed to vent.  I refuse to pay for cable now, so I guess I will just have to make do.

• Level   1

I'm outraged too.

So I purchase a Gold account to take advantage of watching ESPN games on Xbox since I had to cancel my cable since it was ever increasing and I just took a pay cut. So I got a 3 month Gold Live account for football (and online gaming of course!)

So I can watch MORE games (read: less blackouts) on my Android WatchESPN app than I can on the ESPN app on my XBL account which is using the same ISP over wifi?!?   I'm so disappointed.

Is there any talk of the XBL ESPN app evolving to by more like the WatchESPN mobile app?

• Level   1

I see this as Microsoft's fault.  The promise of the Xbox as an entertainment center is now significantly decreased. I was led to believe they were going to be making deals for Live TV and after the hype of the big update last year...learned that required some sort of cable/SAT subscription.  If premium cable/sat subscription AND Xboy Gold membership is required, the value is not there.  I had been such an advocate to pull the plug on Cable and SAT and go to the Xbox as an alternative.  Microsoft has obviously missed the market on this.  And now I have to crawl back to a cable/SAT provider and the Xbox goes back to it's place as a game console.  Microsoft does it again...:(

• Level   1

definitely dropping xbox live gold.  we just dropped our cable and this feature was one of the solutions. not anymore

• Level   1

I totally agee!! I was under the impression that all I needed was my xbox to be entertained so i cancelled my cable only to find out that i need it to use my xbox. Microsoft should be more clear about what we as gamers will be recieving with all of these updates. I have children that liked to watch cartoons and other childrens television shows. We had cable i cancelled it only to be disappointed by my xbox again, we have netflix but I dont need my xbox for that, I can use 100 other devices that dont require a yearly or mothly subscription. Microsoft please say what you mean and please remove the fishing hook from my lip.

• Level   2

deadspin.com/.../espn-prepping-its-talent-for-a-twitter-shitstorm-after-deciding-to-no-longer-air-must+watch-games-on-espn3

Article from deadspin about the ESPN3 change.

• Level   1

Every game is "subject to blackout" .  WTF ESPN?  Last year we could watch almost every game this year none, until they are over?  I won't be cancelling my gold account, but this really sucks!  I live in a town that I have to get cable through them not a regular company and they charge ridiculous rates for hardly any channels!

"Blaming guns for killing people is like blaming pencils for spelling mistakes"
    • Level   1

So the whole TWC ESPN 3 debacle is pointless now? I just use Watch ESPN?

• Level   1
    Except WatchESPN is not available on Xbox and those that use to use the XBOX ESPN app when it actual had programming worth watching now only gets the junk games that nobody wants to watch.  So your screwed and then screwed again. It's the new America. Thanks Xbox, ESPN and cable companies. your greed is only surpassed by your willingness to take advantage of your customer base. You are the perfect example of what's wrong with corporate America. Xbox keep hiding behind the "we have no control over blah blah blah". Like we really believe  that.  When was the last time M$ didn't  have control over something they want to have control over ??

So some say, hey what do you expect for what you pay for xbox gold account?  How about the same thing I got last fall ??
    I'd pay $10 a month to get full ESPN access. that's more than ESPN gets from a cable company per subscriber. I just don't think I should have to pay a cable company $70-100$ a month to watch college football six months of the year when I could care less about the other 400 channels. Let ESPN sell me a subscription to ESPN thru my xbox. I get what I want and ESPN gets more money per subscriber than they get from the cable company. And the blood sucking cable companies and go get a life othere than ripping people off.

Joel