Why is xboxlive marketplace so slow at downloading?

• Level   2

Im downing The Legend of Dead Kel for KOAR - its 870MB and taking bloody ages to finish? My download speed is 1.6MB (MegaByte) per second. Normally thats 4-5 minutes. How come microsoft scrutinize your bandwith? Btw my isp has no faults or maintenance work and my line is free from fault. I have Zero (0) jitter and my ping is 18ms

• Level   5

it,s not slow for me.

• Level   5

Never had any issues downloading from XBL Marketplace - AFAIK its only as fast as your connection allows.

Try resetting all of your equipment & try again.

• Level   5

I also have slow download speed, which is why I normally do background downloads overnight to save waiting around.

-

Not sure where you learnt your maths but from what I know, 1.6mb per second with no fluctuations means an 870MB download should take over 9 minutes. Not between 4 and 5 minutes like you are suggesting.

'People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.' - Stephen Hawking

• Level   8

PrimoFuSion
    Not sure where you learnt your maths but from what I know, 1.6mb per second with no fluctuations means an 870MB download should take over 9 minutes. Not between 4 and 5 minutes like you are suggesting.

Agreed, math is pretty difficult to argue with.

Noel Kriess, you state you 1.6Mbs. Sorry but that's terribly slow in this day and age. That is why your DL's take "so long". Here's the math (remember this would be at best, not average or "worse");

• 1.6Mbs times 60 seconds in one minute equals 96Mb Per Minute.
    • 870Mb divided by 96Mb Per Minute would equal 9.0625 minutes

Now given all of this is still best case scenario. Meaning your ISP is not doing any Throttling nor do you have any other Device on on the same Network (like a PC or Laptop) that would be taking up Bandwidth. On "average" for your DL Speeds it "should" take anywhere from 9 to 15 minutes for a 870Mb DL.

Simple solution if you don't want to "wait". Use the Background Downloads Feature when you are away.

"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening. His ilk serves no role in what is to come."

• Level   5

Recommended download speed for Xbox live is at least 5Mbps, you should consider upgrading your current internet package.

• Level   5

You have to remember, with the internet there are soo many factors that effect speed. Your xbox, your home network, your router, your ISP, and all the various connections between Microsofts servers, and your internet connection. It could be any number of things causing the issues.

<p>

I actually find rebooting my router every night is the best way of making sure my broadband connection is always in tip top condition.

</p>

-------- [sn]
    • Level   5

What speed does the OP have?  Is it 1.6Mb/sec (Megabits per second) or is it 1.6MB/sec (Megabytes per second)?  If it's in Megabits, then 1.6Mb/sec would indeed be very slow for downloading large files. 

Perhaps the OP could post their speed test results for us to scrutinize?

My connection is rated as 20Mb/sec.  Which means I can download about 2MB (Megabytes) every second at it's maximum speed.  A download of 870MB takes me about 8-9 minutes usually.  I downloaded the latest Fifa Street Demo, which is 2GB, in less than 20 minutes on Sunday.

Like SnailUK has stated, there are number of other variables to take into account with regards to download speeds.

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   2

^^^ Totally

I would try downloading it at a time you have noticed this down not happen, like when most people in your area are NOT on the net. lol

I have noticed that certain times of the day, even days of the week are faster for somethings. Also, just because you should be getting a certain speed does NOT mean you get it 24/7.

I <3 Zombies and Squishy Ambitions

• Level   1

everything was fine with me, and then, sllllooooow download, my pc run fast, and i have no lag at all on battlefield 3, WTF?

• Level   5

MetalKA

everything was fine with me, and then, sllllooooow download, my pc run fast, and i have no lag at all on battlefield 3, WTF?

Playing online lag free and downloading large files from the marketplace are two different things.  You don't need a mega Internet connection to play online with Xbox LIVE.  What is your download speed supposed to be?

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   1

He specifically said 1.6 MegaBYTES per second. My internet goes up to 2MB/s yet I get no more than 500KB/s (kiloBYTES) from XBL downloads. Not sure what the problem is but it's always been that way.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Level   2

try deleting and recovering your Gamertag/account....Someone was having the same problem they did that and it was back to working 100%......I'm gonna be doing the same, because the latest 7mb download for MW3 took me about10 minutes to download....which is rediculous....I did a speed test of my connection and on a good day it tops out at 5MBps down and .42MBps/up...and it's the best I can get in my area apparently....and a download on my PC I get roughly 300-600KBps download....so that 7MB update should've only taken me less then 30 seconds...not even.

Yes....I'm a furry. So what? I'm also a Brony. :3

• Level   1

My xbox is taking a long time to download a 4.32 Gb game

• Level   1

I have a 50x5 connection that works fine and getting full speed with all computers, but the Xbox downloads very slow. It is not my connection. I have also tried wired and wireless.