Moderators on LIVE

• Level   1

SUGGESTION - MODERATORS ON XBOXLIVE

I firmly believe there should be Moderators on Live. Too many a time have we all been in a Game Lobby where there are people abusing all sorts of rules as part of the Code of Conduct. I think that if there was a chance that on all games you played, one of your peers may be a moderator - it may make people think twice before giving abuse, whether that be speech or text, trying to invite players into wrongfully modded gaming sessions, promoting explicit or harmful websites and many more misdemeanors, especially when soon we are to be expecting an internet browser on our consoles. 

The Report Feature isn't enough.

I don't mean to slander the Customer Support team in any way, but no one can deny that this isn't always the best solution. It is far too slow as I imagine the team have so much to deal with, and I am sure in many cases a few false reports. Why not let the players help? Reporting or Muting someone doesn't help you straight away, and I can imagine it can be hard to mute someone knowing they are still saying harmful things about you to your peers.

Of course. Not everybody could apply to be a Moderator. Being a Moderator may not even have any perks or advantages other than helping people in the same position you are. But I imagine it could have a significant impact on the atmostphere in the community. I imagine a clean sheet and a vetting procedure would be nessercary as well as an age limit, (i.e. 16 and Over or 18+ ).

Possible Moderator Advantages?

Most likely all to be assessed by a current Microsoft Customer Support Agent;

• Temporary mute or block of communication to those using excessive bad language, threatening behaviour or otherwise.
    • Temporary mute or block of communication to those obviously under age on an age resricted lobby. (i.e. Small child on MW3 which is 18+)
    • Prioritised Reports - Reports are seen to quicker by staff.
    • Perhaps a Star or other symbol appearing next to Gamertag to ensure authicisty.

The possibilities to improve are endless. Please leave a quick comment if you agree.

JB - :)

• Level   5

I don't think this would work at all.  Here's why:

1.  Who would moderate the moderators if they aren't official Microsoft staff?
    2.  Even if they could have a few, I'm certain they would abuse their power, vetted or not.
    3.  It wouldn't help, there are over 30 million Xbox LIVE users that have a gold account to play online games. Popular franchises such as the Call of Duty series have millions of users on at a time, even if there were a thousand mods, it won't make a dent.  The games own reporting function and Xbox Live's complaint system works well enough and is much better than what PSN provides.

FYI:  There is no such thing as 'age restricted lobbies'.  While 18 and M rated games may not be designed to be played by a minor, it is not illegal for a minor to play such titles.  Also false complaints are just that, false.  Users don't get suspended on false complaints. 

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   1

I already made it clear that the moderators actions will be closely reviewed by the current Microsoft staff, so the chance of people mis-using their 'power' wouldn't be too significant. Thousands of Moderators would help a great deal, as the knowledge of their exsistence and people being aware that there 'COULD' be a Moderator present would greatly improve the community general behaviour, Besides - There are 40 million Xbox Live users, now let's say each Customer Support agent (CSA), had his or her share of that ( I'll be generous at saying there may be 1 for every 2000 customers - if there were 20,000. ) If each CSA had 5 moderators under their wing, that would be 500% more people helping contain the community, which means there would potentially be around 100,000 moderators = only 0.0025% of the community but undeniably significant enough to create an impact.

As to your 'FYI' - I think that falls directly on parental responsibility, and although I didn't say it was illegal, I remain still that I believe it is wrong. Yes, False complaints are such - but it still wastes a CSA's valuable time.

Thank you for your thoughts though. :)

• Level   5

If more game publishers used dedicated servers for their online games, modded lobbies wouldn't be an issue.  While it's possible to glitch in games like Battlefield 3, it's not possible to run modded lobbies, as the games run EA's end and not via the Client/Server system that many games like the Call of Duty series use.

I'm not sure what else to say about moderation in games on the Xbox service.  I'm all for better control and fair play, but such things need to be carefully planned and measured, I'm sure you'll agree.  At moment, as long as you know how to use the complaint system and know what to do if you suffer harassment on Xbox LIVE, your enjoyment of the service shouldn't be effected.

Got a question? Just ask. 
    • Level   1

I am sure whatever patch work the publishers develop for their games, there will always be the few who can and choose to exploit bugs, glitches, anything else the quality assurance testers over look, as well as wrongfully create hacks and mods and then try and push it on to other ( and in most occasions, unsuspecting ) community users.

I agree that it is something that would have to be looked into and as you say, carefully planned and measured. Customer Support and Customer Satisfaction are one of the biggest priorities in the industry at the moment, it would be a shame to see our beloved Xbox doing perhaps not as well as it should be due to the immaturity and stupidity of a select few users.

• Level   8

GuaM BrowN

SUGGESTION - MODERATORS ON XBOXLIVE

I firmly believe there should be Moderators on Live. Too many a time have we all been in a Game Lobby where there are people abusing all sorts of rules as part of the Code of Conduct. I think that if there was a chance that on all games you played, one of your peers may be a moderator - it may make people think twice before giving abuse, whether that be speech or text, trying to invite players into wrongfully modded gaming sessions, promoting explicit or harmful websites and many more misdemeanors, especially when soon we are to be expecting an internet browser on our consoles. 

There already are, they are called the XBL Policy Enforcement Team. That is why MS has given its community the tools to report and prevent unwanted communications and behaviors. If you would like to know more about policy enforcement on XBL then you should head on over to HERE. You should find it enlightening as I did when I first viewed it.

The Report Feature isn't enough.

I don't mean to slander the Customer Support team in any way, but no one can deny that this isn't always the best solution. It is far too slow as I imagine the team have so much to deal with, and I am sure in many cases a few false reports. Why not let the players help? Reporting or Muting someone doesn't help you straight away, and I can imagine it can be hard to mute someone knowing they are still saying harmful things about you to your peers.

The report feature is all we need other than patience. Just like with real life crimes it takes time to review the complaint, investigate the complaint and then take action on the complaint. Some offenses can be handled quicker than others, such as profile infractions, while others take time. In offenses that incur a permanent ban the evidence needs to be 100% before they take action considering everything tied to that account is at jeopardy. Wouldn't look too good for them if they went around banning without sufficient evidence, would it? How is it hard to mute someone? Doesn't matter if they are still saying harmful/offensive things, once you mute them you can no longer hear them. Isn't that the point of a mute? Once that happens you shouldn't care what they say anymore.

Of course. Not everybody could apply to be a Moderator. Being a Moderator may not even have any perks or advantages other than helping people in the same position you are. But I imagine it could have a significant impact on the atmostphere in the community. I imagine a clean sheet and a vetting procedure would be nessercary as well as an age limit, (i.e. 16 and Over or 18+ ).

The only qualifications you need to be an XBL PET is to be employed by MS. Now as for those qualifications, well most times you need a college degree. And no, I do not think we need volunteers to have any power over another players ability to use the service. We, as a community, are given the needed tools on our consoles as it is to report offensive/inappropriate behavior on XBL as it is, that is enough to get it to the attention of the people who deal with it.

Possible Moderator Advantages?

Most likely all to be assessed by a current Microsoft Customer Support Agent;

• Temporary mute or block of communication to those using excessive bad language, threatening behaviour or otherwise.
    • Temporary mute or block of communication to those obviously under age on an age resricted lobby. (i.e. Small child on MW3 which is 18+)
    • Prioritised Reports - Reports are seen to quicker by staff.
    • Perhaps a Star or other symbol appearing next to Gamertag to ensure authicisty.

In regards to minors on 18+ games. That is at the sole discretion and responsibility of the parent(s). No one else. Just something else to keep in mind also, when you talk about the online portions of games they are unrated. So there should be no expectations that you will be entering an adult only or a child only session.

The possibilities to improve are endless. Please leave a quick comment if you agree.

I do not agree. The only thing I would like to see improved in the area of policy enforcement is the file a complaint tool be reworked to include many of the more prominent offenses, you know the ones you don't know where/what you should report as, and possibly even a character limited comment box. Otherwise the rest works, if it didn't there wouldn't be a need for THIS or THIS forum. Patience is something the community could learn to have more of.

• Level   3

I WOULD GLADLY PAY FOR A MODERATORED GAME LOBBIES OR SOME WAY TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THE A HOLES some form of age verification....   sorry about the caps but ive given up playing on live i cant take it!!!! it was bad in 2006 it its completely out of control to the point i stop playing all games on line