This question has suggested answer(s)

why do I have to have GOLD account to watch Netflix???

• Level   1

why do I have to have GOLD account to watch my Netflix??

All Replies
    • Level   5

Netflix requires the full xbox live connection to use. A Gold membership is required to use online features.

And no, just because you already pay for Netflix doesn't make a difference.

Previously Jameser78, now TF themed.

• Level   1

" just because you already pay for Netflix doesn't make a difference."

No but it should.

You cant even use youtube which is free

• Level   5

I understand people being upset with that, but Netflix is a separate company, so one does not allow free usage because you pay the other. Things don't work that way, regardless of how many people want it to.

That's like demanding free gas because you already pay for car insurance.

Youtube is free, but you still have to pay for your Gold.

• Level   2

i Hate that but waht can we do? thats why alot of people prefer ps3 over xbox360!

• Level   2

What does Netflix have to do with MS's insistence that you have a Gold membership to watch Netflix or anything else? This is absolutely an Xbox issue and has nothing to do with Netflix. A "full xbox live connection"? Exactly what is that? Where you're fully attached to the internet instead of only slightly attached? This is purely a profitability issue for MS. If they require Gold for anyone to use any service they have then people who buy an Xbox will feel they are missing out on half the system without their Gold subscription. Funny - Sony doesn't require any paid subscription ( in addition) to watch Netflix or any other streaming service on their system. That's an absurd analogy: gas because you have insurance. One is in no way related to the other. It's more like expecting to be able to watch Netflix (or Youtube for that matter) on your Laptop just because you have an internet connection. The service I receive on my Xbox is inferior to every other streaming device I have and Xbox is the ONLY one I pay an online subscription fee for. Having said that I do enjoy the Xbox's layout, but the actual online service is awful! If I hadn't already invested in two of them to replace my cable box when the streaming services were working well I think I would have gone another route.

• Level   5

My analogy is fairly accurate, as the majority of complaints  regarding netflix needing Gold are in regards to the fact that people already pay for netflix, so they feel double billed.

But the fact is, to use Xbox online features, you need Gold, and that's not free, but it's some good quality service for a rather cheap fee.

• Level   1

that makes no sense,  you buy a car knowing a car needs gas to run, there is only one way of getting gas( from the pump), you have other ways of getting netflix.

• Level   1

Many of the video streaming applications are considering Premium which means they need a Gold account to be used. Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, SyFy, Sky(overseas), Amazon PRIME. all require a Gold Acoount. I will agree that Microsoft does not do a good at making that clear. They do in fact scam people into a Gold account

• Level   5

You are incorrect. All this is very clear. It's in the information that comes with your xbox, and all info is also readily available with an online search.

People choosing NOT to look into things or read anything DOES NOT qualify as it not being made clear.

And my analogy stands as it makes the point that just because you pay the one company, does not mean the other should drop their fees.

If you don't want to pay xbox fees to access the services required to use Netflix, then watch Netflix by other means.

• Level   2

You could buy a smart tv which has Netflix and other internet-based apps.  But then you might say; "Why should I have to buy a tv to watch Netflix". lol What do you want, your ISP or tv provider to have it as a channel on their box?

This is like those who complain they shouldn't have to pay MS for internet (you aren't-you are paying for their services which works via the internet) but then are mute when they pay their cell phone provider a fee to have internet access on their smartphones.

Xbox Live Beta Tester My Gaming Setup

• Level   1

Had to respond to some of these analogies.

In simple terms - I paid for the Xbox hardware. I pay for my internet connection. I pay for a Netflix subscription. Microsoft deliberately  blocks outgoing connections to non MS servers unless I have a Gold subscription. At no point would my £40py go towards any part of providing me a SERVICE that allows Netflix on my Xbox. All it does is lifts a restriction.

• Level   2

"At no point would my £40py go towards any part of providing me a SERVICE that allows Netflix on my Xbox. All it does is lifts a restriction."

You do know that it costs money to transfer data from point a to point b and the greater the data, the greater the cost as it requires multitudes of point-to-point networks and umm..why do you think you have to pay your cell phone provider a fee to access the internet and another fee for downloads? Do you....ok listen; why don't you setup a network in your home and give your friends free access to streaming and d/l whatever media you intend to share.  After you reach 5 or more friends then give your friends' friends free access. If people complain your network is slow, either tell them who cares or spend YOUR money to upgrade YOUR network whilst maintaining free access to all those people.  See how that works out for ya!  

• Level   1

I totally agree with your point - but hang on, do you think the videos are hosted on Microsoft's servers?

The content is held in Netflix' data centres. I would guess they pay a small fortune for their data pipes of which some of my monthly subscription goes to. I pay for my internet connection - currently ADSL which covers data usage to/from my home. None of this Netflix traffic should be hitting Microsoft's servers. If they do proxy it in some way then fair enough - we pay for their poor implementation - but this doesn't seem to be the way on Wii or PS3.

When using your Xbox - Microsoft is not your ISP.

• Level   2

I'm not sure how Netflix works on the backend of Xbox Live - BUT considering that if you have Netflix app on your smartphone and you watch movies without having a data plan - your carrier will charge you up the kazoo.  The movies may not be hosted on XBL server's or your carrier's but the data is still streamed through them, I'd assume.

• Level   S

Hi all,

Xbox LIVE Gold will be required to use Netflix on the Xbox. If you wish to voice your opinion on this matter though, here is a great place to provide any feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

Do you have an idea to improve Xbox for everyone? Share it with us at Xbox Feedback!

How to use the Forums!