We pay for service, why so many ads on the assorted live tiles ?

• Level   3

Like the title says, We pay for xbox live, why are there so many ads strung across the dashboard ?. If you are gold members, there should be no ads,or at the very least less than silver subscribers.

• Level   3

Because Microsoft like to make money is the simple answer and know they can get money by placing advertisements on the dashboard, whether they be from third parties or for their own products and services.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   3

I'm sorry all I couldn't hear you over the Wahmbulance..

• Level   2

The ads don't harm your experience any and 99% of them are Feature related.

I don't understand how you can complain about them, really.

• Level   4

Seriously Temhotabot? All i've seen you do is rag on people who are trying to have a say, if you like the ads everywhere fine but dont't act like a jerk. Just remember that the original idea of paying for xbox live gold was a way of paying the costs of maintaining the service itself, it worked fine without the ads, now they are here we find are still paying just as much. Only now advertising litterally dominates the dashboard.

@Skillet: Feature related ads or not I counted 6 resident evil ads over all the screens, ads for a console which i already own and ads for music i  cant stand, thats half my problem with them. I've posted elsewhere several times saying that if they are going to force ads into our "Xbox experience" then atleast tailor them to the person, If you have ever signed up for a hotmail account in the old days it gave you a big list of boxes to tick for newletters covering many different topics like cooking/automotive/gaming and so on, and they would appear in your inbox, I would be fine if they did something like that. They could send a checklist to my email that would be later linked to my gamertag and ask what genre of games i like or what styles of music i like and so on.

• Level   2

I honestly feel like they do make me not even want to turn on my xbox. I have a hard enough time concentrating on stuff at work, this is just an insane mess to deal with. It's too much stimulation. It's off putting, noisy and bad. It takes a while to figure out, and once I did, I still didn't like it. It's my opinion, but I still feel like it's valid. Stuff like this gives me headaches. Maybe because I'm an old guy, but even so. I'm not a fan.

• Level   3

yea the ads are ridiculous, either we pay for the service and have no ads, or litter us with ads but im not paying a single cent...

• Level   3

OMG. There are so many ads on the Dashboard I can't find the Play Game Tile...!

Let's see, on the Home Tile there is one adverts for intel but it is gaming related since you can win MS points...Wow, that is such a distraction.

No adverts on the Bing Tile or the Social Tile.

Now on the Games Tile, Oh boy, another advert for intel. Oh my, I can't believe I spent so much money on XBL to see this.

TV/Movies Tile, Uh oh, one State Farm advert. Better get the mob together...

Music Tile, Oh dear, another intel advert...end of the world now.

Apps Tile, video advert for Verizon.

So let's count how many adverts total on the Dashboard, one/two/three/four/five...Holy Cow! Five adverts! What was MS thinking! How dare they obstruct my Dashboard like that!

I see more adverts in a 60 minute TV Show than what we see on the Dashboard. Get over it people.

Oh and in case any of you missed it, this post is full of sarcasm.

• Level   3

Just because the advert is for a Microsoft product does not mean it is not an advert. Are you genuinely telling me that you think that huge square in the middle of Home is not an Advertisement?

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   3

completely dodge the point we are all trying to make....yea that's a good arguement

• Level   2

ive got an ad for love film on nearly every page!

it would be better if say for silver members they get the ads but gold members who pay for it dont.

as far as the home page goes, it would work better if you could customize the tiles to have your installed apps or games you have installed to drive, arcade games, short cuts to other places like profile or avatar accessories etc.

so it truly is a home page.

as it stands now it just looks like a zoomed in mess.

thats only if you can download it!

• Level   3

yes kratos1975, im glad we think the same --->forums.xbox.com/.../364571.aspx

• Level   3

I genuinely don't get why people don't think the other squares are adverts. I mean according to Tem's definition even the one in the bottom right would not be classed as an advert since currently on my dashboard is for LoveFiLM, which is an app available on the 360.

• Level   3

The tiles I consider an advert are the ones that actually say ADVERTISEMENT underneath them. Otherwise the rest of the alleged tiles are just links to other products/services offered within XBL. Not a very big deal but people act like it is the end of the world...

• Level   3

The only way to get rid them. Is to make advertisement illegal  in all media. So you can stop crying. And we speend more then we paying in all thoese media stuff that out there. You cable bill  instead being $127. It will be like $1900.57. Becoues to pay high price to carry all your fav tv station on one bill.  And that not inculding the pay channle. And if we get to that. That be over 2k a month.  So pass this law and injoy price hick bill every month from poeple like charter cable. So haved a nice day.