Thoughts on Sealed?

• Level   2

It was nice to see duels add Sealed this time around. Enjoying playing with decks away from the precons.

I'm curious if anyone knows the size of the card pool in the game? Have you been able to create any interesting decks so far?

I've got a blue/red deck at the moment. Fun to play, but certainly beatable. I think white/black is pretty good too.

Greetings from Vermont!
    • Level   2

I like the sealed mode quite a bit.  I beat the campaign and i think i ended up with something like 101 cards to play with.  I ran through it twice and ended up with two slots of mostly black and red.  Both of them are aggressive, but I lucked out with one of them and got a good balance of creatures and creature control.  No enchantment or arti control, but thats not exactly what Black and Red are known for.

• Level   2

One thing i do want to say about sealed is that i would like the option to re-start your campaign slots.  The fun of sealed play is getting new random combinations and trying to make them work, but if you are stuck with the same group of cards without any option to re-roll the dice per se, its kind of stagnant.

Would add a great deal of replay if we could reset our sealed slots.  Otherwise it feels more like a micro-transaction ploy.

• Level   8

I do not like it.  I do not like I am sealed to two and then a luck of the draw after that.  It is also irritating to face CPU's with mono-color cohesive decks when ours are random dual-tri color decks.  

-

I much preferred planeschase.

Best Game of All Time: Donkey Kong Country

• Level   2

Sealed play is awesome! I'm so happy they finally added this feature, it gives the game so much more replay value. To those who complain about the micro-transactions for additional slots - first of all if you don't have $2 to spend...just wow. Second, when you consider the prices of individual booster packs these says ($4-$5 around me) you're really getting a bargain. For half the price of a booster you get all the fun of a draft - opening 6 boosters (+3 from actually playing the campaign) and then try to assemble a working deck. I dunno I just think it's pretty cool.

My friends and I were considering getting back into MTG for, like, the fifth time, but instead decided to all get this game and I think we made the right decision. Saving a ton of cash in the long run, all while having just as much fun as playing MTG IRL. At least I think so, anyway.

As for my pulls so far...I first ended up making a Red-White-Blue deck which I aptly named " 'Merica ". It didn't turn out so well, and so I ended up trying the auto-build feature, which eliminated all the red entirely, and made the deck much more playable. But, the second deck I was able to assemble is still my favorite...a Green-Red deck that I named "Jade Razer " - pretty cool right (Get it? It's a pun.) Anyway it's headlined by Inferno Titan and Primordial Hydra, and it's pretty darn good.

How did your decks turn out?

Armysniper23 wrote: first of all who's cliffy B and second how does he get gow2 before it comes out
    • Level   1

Absolutely a micro-transaction gimmick.  Otherwise, they could save a slot for non-online play wherein you could restart it at your complete leisure.

I happen to be very disappointed with this version.  Sure as hell does not entice me to give WotC any more of my money beyond the $10 for this not-so-well thought out title.

• Level   2

Not-so-well thought out? What are you even talking about? It's MTG, and assuming you've played at least one of the previous games you knew pretty much exactly what to expect, so why  spend your money in the first place if you're just gonna *** about it? Sorry you're disappointed by what is far and away the best installment in the series.

Armysniper23 wrote: first of all who's cliffy B and second how does he get gow2 before it comes out
    • Level   2

I think considering what you could spend on the paper cards, $10 isn't very much at all. I was open to buying more boosters to round out a sealed deck but really haven't felt the need yet. Perhaps at some point I'll kick in the $2 for an additional slot. Its good to keep in mind that a sealed 40 card deck will never have the synergy of a tuned 60 card precon. Still fun though.

I wish the sealed campaign was a little longer, especially for the Android version which doesn't have online play. But for $10, I'm pretty satisfied.

Greetings from Vermont!
    • Level   2

I like the idea behind the Sealed Play, and it is fun, but I think it is way too limited. The pool of cards that is possible to pull from is not as large as I thought it would be, which doesn't give me a whole lot of options. I purchased three extra slots, and pretty much all 5 of my sealed decks have basically the same cards, with a rare or two difference. Only getting three more booster packs along the way doesn't help either. Another thing I was disappointed with is the fact that you can only use them in sealed campaign and one on one matches. It would be nice to use them anywhere, such as two headed giant matches. Of course, the ability to make your own deck in general is a huge step forward from last year, so maybe by next year we will see this concept grow more into the flexibility of traditional play.

• Level   4

^^^ maybe an expansion idea?

• Level   2

I agree with Lockjump. Sealed is a step in the right direction, but I think we need a bigger card pool. Would happily kick in for some DLC.

Greetings from Vermont!
    • Level   2

I am on board with Lockjump, it needs more cards in order to create a bigger diversity between decks.  I started my first deck not knowing there were only two slots and then made another one shortly afterwards thinking I could simply delete the first one.  Not happy about having to pay for an extra slot, not because I dont have the points to do so but just the principle behind it.  It just feels like they are nickel and diming you.  A friend introduced me to drafting with actual cards and I liked it.  This first attempt at it is pretty good and has a good feel to it but I definitely want to see it improved up in the upcoming years or updates.  

• Level   1

September expansion should reveal some good fixes to these issues people have with the game.

• Level   2

I agree with Lockjump too. I didn't mind paying for extra slots as I think the game is great value, but the card. pool is pretty.Small.

• Level   1

I think the problem is less the size of the card pool (although it is a tad small), but the degree to which black control is simply massively overpowered.

Black has: Giant scorpion, vampire nighthawk, murder, assassinate, rats AND gravedigger all at common or uncommon (plus sign in blood to refill your hand). This gets even worse when you add in blue control elements (unsummon and essence scatter) or white removals (fiend hunter, o-ring and condemn) and it should be pretty clear why almost every single online deck is B, B/W or B/U (with U/R being the next most common).

Almost every pool will have strong black, but haste/hexproof boots or grave titan is in every highly-ranked deck (my pool is B/W control with grave titan and only loses to boots due to only one artifact removal). If you're lucky and get one of them, you will win a lot online. If you don't pull one of them, you will lose to decks that did.

So yeah. Sealed fun initially, but it's balanced terribly and every online match basically boils down to who gets their bomb card down first. I think if they actually let people reroll slots more aggressively, it would become a lot more obvious how homogenous it really is.