The Nether

• Level   5

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this place out. I built a portal yesterday, as I wanted to get some Glowstone. Upon arrival to The Nether, all I found was a room full of Netherrack and Bedrock. My cousin (who has played this for a while on PC) said I probably got unlucky and spawned at the top or bottom of The Nether, so I'd have to start digging up or down to find my way to what I wanted.

Well, after about 15 pickaxes and 20 stacks of Netherrack, acquired from trying to dig up, down, and sideways, I haven't had any luck. I'm still in a mess of Netherrack and bedrock, with nothing else in sight. Has anyone else had this happen and/or found a way to figure out where in the world I should be going? I tried building a second portal, but it spawned me in the exact same place. Maybe I need to build them much farther apart.

"A wild Moderator appeared! Wild Moderator used Intimidate! It's super effective!" --zack11190

• Level   4

I had a similar experience in the Nether, except mine was filled with a bunch of Zombie Pigmen and Ghasts.

Xbox 360 S owner since 9/3/10 ~~~ Xbox One owner since 6/16/14

Xbox One games I'm excited for - Destiny, Halo 5: Guardians, Master Chief Collection, Homefront: Revolution, Sunset Overdrive, Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Division, Arkham Knight, Quantum Break, Ori & the Blind Forest, Inside, Dying Light, Metro Redux

• Level   4

I believe the ratio is 1 to 8. 1 block above ground equals 8 blocks in the nether. You should space the portals out more to get into different areas in the nether. I don't know if the xbox version has fortress's in the nether but those are cool finds and you can get tons of nether brick from them.

• Level   5

I was reading the Minecraft wiki, and they said that on Xbox, the ratio is 1:3, likely because the Xbox version has a more limited map, in terms of size.

Also yeah, I have to find a suitable place to build it. There are a few houses people have built in my world. Since that portal makes creepy sounds, I'm thinking I'll build it under or behind someone's house.

"A wild Moderator appeared! Wild Moderator used Intimidate! It's super effective!" --zack11190

• Level   4

Agreed on the creepy sounds.  I had to take mine down last night from on top of my house because it's just too annoying.  I'll probably build a little temple type thing/pyramid on a sand bar to hold it.  

• Level   6

If you're seeing bedrock you must be way down in the nether. You'll most likely need to dig upwards(not straight up though) to find open space. Also you could try destroying your current portal and rebuilding it up high in the normal world. That should make it spawn higher in the nether. Btw is your portal underground in the normal world? If so that's your problem.

I said not to dig straight up because the nether has lakes of lava and you're bound to dig into one and die. If you dig at an angle you'll at least have a couple seconds to plug up the hole in front of you to avoid burning to death and your hole filling with lava.

Take a deep breath. Hold it. Let it out.

• Level   4

just create a new portal in a different place, it won't spawn you in the same spot.

• Level   4

I originally built my portal on top of my mountainside glass house because it looked pretty sweet, but then discovered the moans of hell.

• Level   5

I'm not sure where sea level is on  this game, but I don't think my house is far below it, if at all. I literally spent about an hour digging up (maybe more), and eventually hit MORE bedrock. That led me to believe I might be really high up, so I dug down for an hour. I ended up with 30+ stacks of Netherrack between digging up, down, and sideways, and I accomplished nothing.

I ended up building a second portal on top of my first house on the other side of the world, almost, and finally found the Glowstone I was looking for (along with some terrible cannonball-shooting Ghasts).

• Level   5

Oh, and where I built my second portal was kind of odd. When I got to the Nether, there was another portal right next to it. I tried to go through it, but Ghasts were repeatedly bombarding it with rockets and putting out the flame, so I wasn't able to get through it before I had to leave. I'm going to try to enter it here in a few, once I log on.

• Level   1

I  just Survived my first Nether trip after a few attempts to collect glowstone. Now I'm finding that I cannot make glowstone blocks yet, figure thats an update on the way~~~

Big plus that Cobblestone cannot be destroyed by Ghasts fireballs. I secured this portal on the nether side with cobble walls so I can't get blasted or the portal flame knocked out making a my return run back.

Cobble comes into use building extended saffolding from netherrock to high up  suspended glowstone. Once again structuring the cobblestone around the glowstone we are safer for Ghasts attacks. Any netherrock used can be blow apart and I'm doing a swan dive for whatever floor is far below.  S A I L !!!

*Enjoy MC All

• Level   3

Glowstone blocks are easy to make dude, you're probably looking in the wrong menu.

Open crafting table and bumper-key to weapons and tools. The glowstone schematic should be hiding in the same sub-menu as torches, from memory.

• Level   4

i have more glowstone than cobblestone and waaay more neitherraacks than that!

i think i spawned in like the perfect spot inside the nether region.

• Level   2

Even better is when you spawn up in the air above a lake of lava.

• Level   1

Cool GANDH1… thanks for the info, found it under weapons & tools > torches > glowstone. ")