Trying to find gold, diamonds, etc.

• Level   2

Am I just tunneling randomly to find these ores?   Should I try to be at a specific depth before tunneling horizontally to find these ores.  Are they all at different depths?

I did manage to hit bedrock last night. Should I start tunneling at the bottom or go up 10 blocks and then start tunneling around?

Sorry for the noob questions - just not sure on the best way to go about finding this stuff!

• Level   5

i heard the best way is to mine to the bed rock and then dig slightly up and all around and back down ect.

i think your best bet will be finding actual caves that are close to bedrock, finding diamond randomly when mining yourself will require much more luck than finding it in a cave.

yeah and digging close to bedrock is dangerous as you'll get a lot of lava, so as you said dig upwards a bit and just try to find caves.

• Level   3

find a cave go down to lowest point then dig straight down to bedrock then go up to anywhere between 10 and 15 levels and you will find gold and iron and diamonds and red stone more then just digging around

XBOX ONE  Lets GO !!!!

• Level   2

The best mining method I found so far was to dig down to layer 7 (not sure how do find that out on the 360 version) and start tunneling long lines 1x wide and 2x tall with 2 blocks of space between them in a grid shape, this method has yielded me a stack of diamonds every couple of hours (a stack being 64) plus it finds almost every other kind of ore too such as iron, gold, lapis and redstone.

Be sure to take a water bucket along in case you hit lava and whenever you hit lava or finish mining a diamond go back to the start of the tunnel and start a new row.

• Level   3

I just find cave systems and dig through them.

• Level   5

As Link said, being systematic is key with the limited space available.

}Censorship causes blindness{
    • Level   4

Most of the lava pools are on level 10 so once you find those it shouldn't be hard to find what level you're on. I usually found diamonds between that layer and layer 14. Really wish they would implement the F3 key but doubt that will happen.

• Level   2

I've only been in one deep natural cave, went deep and in all directions, if you're finding lava you're close.

• Level   2

I havn't even seen lava on the 360 yet....I've been through a few big real deep cave systems...found a couple of dungeons, about 20 stacks of coal, a couple of stacks of iron, and about half a stack of gold...no diamonds, lapis lazuli or redstone yet though.....how deep does it go from sea-level again?...I forget :/

• Level   3

I have noticed that Diamond is always near Redstone. So if you find Redstone then dig in close proximity to it.

Feel free to check out my Youtube channel of you like zombie games and FPS shooters :)

www.youtube.com/user/UrbanEngage

• Level   2

This is great! I want to make sure I understand though - Level 1 is the very bottom where the bedrock is, correct?

And when I do find lava - should I dig all around it?  Do diamonds and gold appear more right next to lava?

• Level   4

I found that TNT works well around bedrock level.  Dig a 1x2 tunnel for a while, turn to the side, dig a couple spaces deep, plant TNT, hit, run away.  If you go down with about 15-20 TNT crates you should find diamond/gold at least once.  

Aside from that, caverns are a good source.  I just found my first "epic cavern", and this thing is friggin HUGE, and loaded with coal, iron and gold, and occasionally diamond.  I found the cavern by luck, but I hear a good method to find one easily is to go to the Nether, go down about 20-30 blocks and build another portal, then enter it.  The game is supposed to spawn you in the closest suitable area when you return (which would be a cave/cavern).

• Level   1

I dont know what levels things are found on but I do know that if you hold that paper map in your inventory it gives you XYZ coordinates. The Y number is your level. The closer to the sky the higher it goes, the closer to bedrock the lower it goes, so with this tool a pad and pencil i just jot down interesting locations on the map via the maps coordinates on the pad. For me Diamonds have never been seen above lvl. 20 and as far down as lvl 1 [bedrock]

• Level   3

if you haven't invested a lot into your current world. Try Cavern01(case sensitive) I haven't found diamonds yet, but it has some interesting caverns with lava and obsidian.

Or even Flatlands01 (also case sensitive)

• Level   1

Like what everyone has been saying, find bedrock, and dig 5-10 blocks up and start mining horizontally.  I would recommend a bucket of water so that if you fall in lava while mining, you can stop yourself from dying.  Also, bring some cobble to walk across the lava.