Suggestions for the first update to Pinball Arcade

• Level   1

Regardless of which pinball game you prefer I think everyone can see some room for improvement to Pinball Arcade.  I have only played the demo, but even in that short amount of time I can see some changes I feel are very necessary for the first update.  Here's what I've noticed:

1. Add camera options to the plunger shot.  When you launch a ball you really cannot see anything including the stuff that is necessary for gauging the strength of your shot.  You cannot even see the plunger arm!

2. The ability to examine the table using a free camera view.  Pinball FX allows the action to be frozen at any moment using the the free camera view.  This is especially helpful for getting the lay of the field in the congested areas and the top of the field (the furthest away from the flippers).  It also helps the when trying to read the info that is part of the field.  I know I cannot read everything on the tables on my TV.

3. Reduce the effect of nudging the table using the analog stick.  As someone who played the Williams' Collection extensively I found that nudging the table had too much of an effect on the ball to the point that it broke the game.  I could keep a ball in play for a long, long time by nudging in the right direction at the right time on most of the tables.  Games could easily last an hour or more this way.  That is not how a real machine would play.  And Pinball Arcade unlike Pinball FX is completely designed to play like real pinball.  When playing the demo I once again noticed that the effect nudging was too powerful.

4. (This is less crucial, but still worth mentioning...) Show the entire machine in greater detail before the game especially the cabinet.  The creative team has taken the time to faithfully reproduce not only the field of real world tables, but the cabinet and backglass as well.  Having done so it would be nice to have an option to view the entire machine from different angles before playing a game.  The roaming camera we have now provides glimpses of the cabinet art, but that's not good enough.  And honestly it's like the camera is on a sugar rush!  Slow it down a bit at the least.  Since the cabinet has been so faithfully recreated then why not let gamers appreciate both the original design and the recreation with a better view?  At least provide static camera shots from each side of the cabinet.  A controllable camera mode that could zoom in and out to examine the cabinet would be a real plus.  Areas of the cabinet that were not recreated such as the back or bottom could be blocked if a free camera mode was added.

5. Keep tweaking the physics!  While the physics are a little better than the Williams' Collection it doesn't seem like a massive step forward.  For anyone who has played a real world machine you know the ball comes off the table frequently.  If the ball runs into the edge of something like a post or standup target it's not rare for the ball the ricochet into the air.  I have yet to play a digital pinball game that is able to recreate this effect.

As a fan of pinball I will certainly get this game.  Probably very soon.  But I was wondering what others think needs improving for this to be considered hands down the best digital pinball game?

And if you want please mention what aspects the game got right as well.

• Level   2

You would do better to post your suggestions on the Pinball Arcade forums, "pinballarcadefans.com".  More people are active on those forums than here.

xx Danzig xx 96

• Level   4

I dont have any suggestions but i will say this game is a lot harder than fx2; blackhole is impssible for me!!!!  And im not much better on the rest.

• Level   2

Black hole was a pain previously on the old Xbox collection. I took a look at the goals and didn't think I could get them. After sitting down for a couple of hours and playing it, I had them all.  If you highlight the goals in the options menu, it takes you right to the pages that describe how you can get them.  Ripley's, however is another Story for me.

• Level   2

BoxingAndy, I know your scores on PinFX2 and I seriously doubt Black Hole is immposible for you. Just practice man, I know for dang sure if I can get all the achievements on there you certainly can.

xx Danzig xx 96

• Level   4

I'll give it a go again I guess, but yeah this game's a whole new animal compared to PBFX2, check my score on this one and you'll see that I'm bottom of the barrel on all tables.... LOL

• Level   2

Well, it's nice to have you beat on a few tables.   :)

xx Danzig xx 96

• Level   4

Hey, nice game this weekend Danzig; you'd have mopped me up if it were on Pinball Arcade though.

• Level   1

You're very pretty Saasinator..amazing.Also I'm  guy.

• Level   2

@ BoxingAndy, That's why we still need mult-player online with the Pinball Arcade, so I have a decent chance of beating you.   :)

xx Danzig xx 96

• Level   4

LOL....  I heard you on the Wolverine game when I barely edged you out; that was a very close game though.

• Level   2

While I do enjoy both Pinball Arcade and FX2,Im leaning more towards Pinball Arcade.

Some of the tables on FX2 I find its like hitting your head against an oak tree.Rocky and Bullwinkle has to be one of the worst for this.

I find it hard to get past those row of letters right in front of you,hence the term hitting your head against an oak tree.

There are other tables on FX just like R&B,seemingly no open areas in the middle of the table.

One problem I am finding with Pinball Arcade is the lag on the flippers,its there I feel on FX but I really notice it on Arcade.

Still I enjoy both games and hopefully with some more tables to come on Arcade my enjoyment will be even more.

• Level   2

Having just got all 200g so far on Pinball Arcade,I've been working more on Pinball FX2 myself. I'm looking forward to the four new tables coming out next month on the 360 (according to their Facebook page). I've been working a lot more on Pinball FX 2 lately. +1 to RaisetheBismark for that oak tree analogy for R+B.  Wolverine and Earth Defense are also my biggest pains along with R+B. Still, for pinball fans, these are great days we're living in.

• Level   2

I have to say after playing some more Pinball arcade,the one table that Im really struggling with is Black hole.

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the mini game you have to endure through.

The other three tables I really do like,the flippers need some work on them,lag is one problem and the other for me is not being able to hold the ball with a flipper without the darn ball seemingly running up hill so to speak and down the center.

Oh yea one other gripe for me is,whats up with multiball?

I cant tell you how many times iv'e lost multiple balls at one time as seemingly they all seem to arrive at your flippers at once.

Factor in the flipper lag with this and its very frustrating.

However for some of its faults I am enjoying it more than FX2.

• Level   2

I agree with a lot of these suggestions, especially the one regarding being able to see the plunger. "Pinball FX 2" does indeed handle this remarkably well, and I'm surprised that FarSight hasn't put that much into it. Also, while I'm glad the replays in-game are set to award extra balls, I'd still like to know what to do with the free credits I receive for free-play games.

However, the biggest omission I've found is the lack of online multiplayer. Hot-seat is fine, but there's no reason you can't do this over Xbox Live either.