General Tips

• Level   4

Every game has little tricks and tips that help improve your experience. Let's start a list of them.

Here's one I figured out today.

Normally I check down to the end if no one bets even if I have little chance of winning. I just realized that by doing this you're giving up 100 xp each time. That's right. The smart fold xp. So now with 3-4 players already checked to me with 10 high and last to act, I will fold instead of checking. Sure you may lose some hands you could have won, but I think you'll come out ahead in the long run if you consider this option in certain scenarios.

WSOP: Full House Poker Pro

Best Tournament Win - 250K - 2nd Place

• Level   2

I would never fold on a hand that I could just check on, 100XP or not.

• Level   7

If the showdowns were done properly, I might fold where I can check to conserve my hand to myself; but this game doesn't do the showdown properly so there is not much strategic reason to open fold.

confessions of an xbox 360 gamerdad This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.

• Level   2

Folding when you don't have to just seems like a waste of whatever it is you've invested into a hand. IMHO, of course.

• Level   7

If you might be compelled to show your hand folding withholds information about your playstyle from your opponents. But again, not currently relevant with the way showdowns work.

confessions of an xbox 360 gamerdad This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.

• Level   4

Maybe I should clarify that this is on the River only. Or maybe you have 7 high or playing the board only. My point is it's something to consider when you're on the River.

• Level   4

The dev at our table talked a bit about how the showdowns work now, and asked how we feel about going straight to the winner instead of forcing the player called to show their hand first.  It was put in in order to speed play, but I really don't think it is worth it.  

---

I would MUCH prefer to use the accepted poker rules to force called bets to show their hand.  Knowing what hands players opened with and and how they bet them are essential for improving play forward.  If a players do not want to show their hands, they should be forced to fold them out of turn at the river, letting the other player take the pot.  This also allows the potential caller the opportunity to win without showing.

---

• Level   4

Agreed. Also with all the camera changes during showdown it takes me a little time just to figure out who won since I try to memorize opponent actions based on table position and not gamertag or avatar pic.

Solution: Revert back to the original FHP way. Make this change. When the showdown starts, give the person who bet or the first person to check the option: A - Show B - Fold. If he chooses to fold, this option moves to the next person. Repeat, until someone shows. After someone shows, the game continues the normal showdown procedure. Auto-revealing hands if it it's higher or ties the previous.

Allow pre-showdown options like A - Show, B - Show if higher hand/Fold

This system will work pretty efficiently, but you will not be able to fold a higher hand if someone already revealed.

• Level   1

The folding instead of checking tactic was only really useful in the original FHP because of the timer in Texas Heat sessions. You would actually have more to gain by having the hands go faster and racking up potentially more XP by the fold bonus & preset action timer than by normal play, so you could move up the leaderboard faster because the winner was determined by the highest amount of XP gained over the course of the round - not bankroll or how well you played.

<br>

In this game there's really no benefit to folding early because XP and level is meaningless in determining the winner of any gametype. It's only really useful for unlocking vanity items because you can purchase the chips needed to enter higher buy-in games with MSP or real money. With the addition of purchasing XP boosts you don't really lose out as the "smart fold" 100xp is one of the lowest amounts of xp you get rewarded for any of the actions - I think only "dealt-in" rewards a lower amount. It's more worth it to go for the potential "river captains," "all-ins" and "schooleds" etc.

• Level   4

Although XP and level on the whole is meaningless. Up to 100, it does have meaning to me because of the achievement tied to it. And I think that's the incentive of others who also don't care about 100-500. 100 is actually a decent amount of exp when you're getting 90 on average + 50 for free out until it gets down to 3 or 4 players.

You won't be getting any River captains, All-Ins, or Schooled bonuses on these hands.

Let me make it even clearer since some of you aren't understanding this.

You're the last to act on the River. You have 3 high and there's 8 people who checked to you. The board has nothing. You are considering checking at this point. You seriously wouldn't fold for the 100 xp? That's the most obvious scenario. Now work your way back to where the 100 xp doesn't have a higher benefit then checking. I thought this would be a simple concept.