Zombies, Zombies everywhere - this is not how an indie game should work

• Level   6

Ok I wanted to say this on the off chance people check the forum before buying indie games.

I find it really disgusting that this game has next to no content with the developer having the cheek to essentially say "Oh I'll make it a complete game if it sells" sure I'm fine with games getting updates to add to them but the game should have some substance to begin with, such as fortress craft letting you build and play.

I find it disgusting that someone is essentially trying to use the indie games section as a kickstarter to sell a game which in all honesty barely works to begin with and can barely be called an actual game and for someone to say they will only add what are fairly normal things like leaderboards and health packs if enough people buy the game.

• Level   2

I Agree Completely, it's an act of swindling that should be banned from the indie game section completely, and any developer doing so should have the game abolished as soon as possible,

• Level   2

I don't think you completely understand the concept of that.  A lot of successful Indie Games use this.  It boosts sales.  The games may have a set "Goal"  if reached, they will add more content.  I really would suggest you read more into development of XBLIG.  Would you rather pay for a game upfront with all the content and the developer basically gets no money at all for sales.  S/he is promoting their game, successfully.  I feel you are unsupportive of indie games.  Again, I think you are overreacting to "Oh I'll make it a complete game if it sells".  Does it say that? No!   This is like saying XBLA shouldn't have patches.  This is also you saying Mojang shouldn't patch Minecraft and add more awesome features.  

• Level   6

Master Blud

I don't think you completely understand the concept of that.  A lot of successful Indie Games use this.  It boosts sales.  The games may have a set "Goal"  if reached, they will add more content.  I really would suggest you read more into development of XBLIG.  Would you rather pay for a game upfront with all the content and the developer basically gets no money at all for sales.  S/he is promoting their game, successfully.  I feel you are unsupportive of indie games.  Again, I think you are overreacting to "Oh I'll make it a complete game if it sells".  Does it say that? No!   This is like saying XBLA shouldn't have patches.  This is also you saying Mojang shouldn't patch Minecraft and add more awesome features.  

The thing is its not a concept of expanding the game.

Dead Pixel is doing that and on its own the game stands up. Kodu game lab did / does this and on its own the game stood up. To release a slap dash terrible game and then only offer to make it into a working game if it sells is disgusting practice. People should not be looking for a sales boost by offering to create a game if people buy it, a sales boost should be if X people buy it more will be added on top of an already existing game.

I think I have read up a fair amount on XBLIG development, true I'm not a complete expert on all the aspects but I have a basic working understanding of how the indie games system works by now and how gaming should work.

Would I rather pay more upfront ?

If paying it means the game works and doesn't have the chance of never being fixed then yes they should charge more rather than potentially ripping off people who buy the game by giving them a shoddy piece of rubbish then saying they'll only fix it if it sells X amount.

Methods like this aren't a means of promotion for a game as its extremely negative for early purchasers to see someone saying essentially "oh yeh you know all those things you'd think should be in the game, well I'm only going to add them if the game sells well"

have you seen what the game didn't have to begin with ?

No health items

No alternative weapons

No extra locations

No online scores.

indie games should add worth if it sells not offer that if it sells they will add the gameplay elements found in other such games. Heck the $1 zombie game these features as standard and that's not even one of the best indie games with zombies in it the other being Dead Pixel which stood on its own to begin with and the DLC stuff does add more to the game too it doesn't feel like the developer has done a capcom and gutted the game to be able to get more money out of it.while this game really does feel like its been gutted to try and get sales

• Level   2

You realize you are complaining for something that you, yourself paid $1 for.  Everything you just stated made my statement stand out even more.  It's a Zombie game, if you don't like it, then move on.  You can't expect the things you want to be in game or to go your way.  If the game is functional and you can literally play the game, I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.  

• Level   2

If you feel cheated out of your money and don't accept the concept of a developer working on a small budget.   Go to the AppHub Forums and complain.  Maybe they can tell you exactly why this happens.  They are called Sales Milestones.  Accept it.

• Level   2

If you can't last more than 40 seconds in Zombies, Zombies Everywhere.  Then you will be first to die in the Zombie Apocalypse.  I had picked up the game in November, when it released.  The game plays just fine.  I give credit to the developer for setting sales milestones.  You really don't know the workings of indie games, because you are completely oblivious to the idea of a Sales Milestone.  Almost everyone does it.

• Level   6

Sales milestones = fine

Episodic gaming = fine

Releasing what is essentially an alpha then using sales money to finish it = not fine.

XBLIG is not kickstarter.

the XBLIG system should not be used as a form of kickstarter as so far for the most part Kickstarter has had no big issues. The thing is with the system being used here if the games doesn't sell it won't get finished.

I would make a joke about any other apocalypse being an issue for some but I can't be bothered to fully make it .

What I understand.

A game has been released that's quite dire, the developer has said they will only add elements standard to the genre if it sells. Why should an indie game work this way ?

If its funding then either it needs to be episodic or maybe just maybe the dev is in over their head.

Look at Colonies Neociv it proves indie games can be made to be high quality.

The costings side of it and making a game with their available funds is the developers issue and not something people should be overlooking at the end as an excuse, the game is being taken as is with no baggage

• Level   1

wow!, just read through whole convo and i agree with both of you! i think that it can be frustrating when you get a indie game, like it, and they is no add-ons for it. but also if the game is popular and is selling well then they will usually add content to it, but otherwise they wont be enough people buying the game to bother with any add-ons and the developer will move on.

• Level   4

i got that new z survival game or whatever today its pretty good its kinda like nazi zombies. anybody try that yet? id suggest playing it its actually good.