This question has suggested answer(s)

Reserving Gamertags?

• Level   1

When did Xbox live start reserving gamertags?

also I want to know if I can reserve a GT when it becomes unreserved.

All Replies
    • Level   V

As far as I know they don"t reserve gamertags. There's no way to reserve a gamertag. You just have to get it when it becomes available.

• Level   1

When you change your gamertag the one you change it from gets reserved. Well that is what customer support told me.

• Level   V
    • Suggested Answer

When you change your gamertag it gets freed up in the system for anyone to use. It may not be instant, but it does get freed up.

• Level   1

Well how come I can't take it?

• Level   1

Its a chain, you change your gamertag, it becomes avaliable. as well as the person who owned the gamertag before you. Now, i'm not sure what you mean by reserving a gamertag, but I doubt Xbox will do any action as so. Maybe, just the way to get a gamertag is waiting, or getting lucky.

• Level   1

That is weird because the guy who I was talking to from Microsoft said that gamertags get reserved on an account stored in the system. But maybe because the gamertag I want is a 5 letter word that people use everyday :(

• Level   1

I think by "reserved" you mean "spaced." When someone spaces a gamertag, it "reserves" all forms of that gamertag, regardless of where any spaces are placed. For example-, there is a gamertag "P il l" but no such gamertag as "Pill." But if you try to create the gamertag "Pill," the it does not let you because the letters P I L L are already in a gamertag with no extra letters/numbers, just spaces.

Does that make sense?

• Level   1

Nah, both forms of the gamertag aren't used but I still can't change to it.

• Level   1

Is it offensive?  Maybe that is why

• Level   V

It could also be used on another one of Microsoft's services. The tag system isn't used only for the 360.

• Level   4

BK Zac
    Nah, both forms of the gamertag aren't used but I still can't change to it.

You said it was a five-letter word; there are more than two spacing variants. You might as well tell us what it is if you're being told it is taken. There's a sticky post in this forum which explains the spacing, and the release (or not) of old gamertags which seem inactive.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153151.aspx

Mister Gwyther

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
    Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox LIVE, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?
    There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available.

• Level   1

I think by "reserved" you mean "spaced." When someone spaces a gamertag, it "reserves" all forms of that gamertag, regardless of where any spaces are placed. For example there is a gamertag "G o l" but no such gamertag as "Gol." But if you try to create the gamertag "Gol" the it does not let you because the letters G O L are already in a gamertag with no extra letters/numbers, just spaces.

Does that make sense?