This question is not answered

LOCKED - Using MSP to pay for my Gold XBox Live Membership

• Level   4

Is there a reason why there is no option to pay for my yearly membership using Microsoft Points?  I can buy just about everything else to do with XBox with them but not a membership.  I would like to be able to do this in the future please and thank you.

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

(¯`(0_0)´¯)

All Replies
    • Level   5

Because you're essentially only paying once for two different things that's why.

Ryder Cup: 10-6 up and you blew it? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh wait you serious? Let me laugh even harder BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Level   4

I'm sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say.  Could you clarify your statement?

(¯`(0_0)´¯)

• Level   5

You pay £10 for 1000MSp (I know it's not £10 but bear with me), you then use those 1000MSp to pay for a year's subscription. Net cost to you £10. Now take young Timmy over there, he pays £10 for 1000MSps and then chooses to use cash rather than MSps to pay for his year's subscription. Net cost to Timmy £50 because he's paid twice. Essentially anyone who pays using MSps will be getting a freebie compared to those who pay cash for both items, MS also loses money on the sales of gold subscriptions hence why you're not allowed.

Ryder Cup: 10-6 up and you blew it? hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh wait you serious? Let me laugh even harder BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Level   4

I'm sorry but that still makes no sense to me.

A yearly Gold membership here in Canada costs $59.99.  I can see no difference between using a credit card to pay the $59.99, paying cash for a year membership card, $59.99, or purchasing the equivalent amount of MSP (approx. 4200 MSP) to cover the $59.99.  Regardless of my payment method the price of a full year is $59.99.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I also fail to understand how doing any of these things would be the cause of myself paying twice or Microsoft losing out on being paid for their product.

Could I possibly get a response from a Microsoft employee?  I believe this is a question that others would like answered as well.

(¯`(0_0)´¯)

• Level   S

I'm sorry you don't understand the process or the reason, but the fact remains that you can't purchase LIVE time with MSP. You can purchase LIVE time with a credit card, Paypal, or by purchasing prepaid LIVE time cards at retailers.

• Level   4

Thanks for replying.

I understand the process, I have been a Gold subscriber for seven straight (almost eight, renewing for eighth in July) years.  No reason why this isn't possible has yet been offered, just that it isn't which isn't really any kind of reason or explanation at all.

Maybe I'm asking too much, I'm just a loyal Microsoft and XBox customer that has spent thousands of dollars on multiple consoles and PCs, games, accessories and Live subscriptions that was hoping to be able to use my MSP to pay for my next year of Live.  Upon realizing that this option was not available, I had hoped to put the suggestion forward to Microsoft that this option be available.  Oh well, I guess I'm just wasting my time here hoping for an actual response to my question so that I may "understand the process or the reason."

Might as well "Lock" this thread, I'm not anticipating getting an informative response to the question anymore.

(¯`(0_0)´¯)

• Level   2

I know the reason. Xbox live is region free, but Microsoft points are not. If you bought a live card in the US/UK/Japan/Germany/-any-other-live-supported-region it would work on your Canadian account. But, Microsoft points bought will NOT work on any other account besides their home region. So to prevent potential "out of area" spending, they simply disallow MS points being spent on live subs.

You say: "Gameplay is more important than story."
    I say: "Why can't I have both?"

• Level   4

The very fact that MSP cannot be spent outside of the region that they're purchased in prevents them from being used to buy anything (content, or even a Gold membership, for that matter, if it was possible) in another region.

There can be no "potential out of area spending" as there is no ability to spend them "out of area" whatsoever.

That Gold Membership cards themselves are "region free" in and of themselves seems to encourage "out of area spending" seeing as I can buy one here in Canada and redeem it anywhere XBox Live is available.

To sum up:  That XBox Live is region free is irrelevant considering that would like to use MSP (which are region specific) within the region that they are allowed to be used in.

Put another way:  I would like the ability to use my region specific points in the region that they're designed to be used in to purchase something that has no region specificity.

My brain hurts.

(¯`(0_0)´¯)

• Level   2

If you compare the people having issues using their credit card to pay for live vs using it to buy MSP, you'll notice the latter is the larger group. Also, there are people who can't buy MSP who claim they can pay for live just fine, but not the reverse.

The computer that runs live subscriptions is programmed to "wave you through", so long as your credit card clears. It won't care that the US account is using a card that belongs to a bank in Nigeria and the IP address is in China - if the card doesn't decline, WELCOME TO LIVE GOLD! Smile

On the other hand, the computer that runs Microsoft points is set on "paranoid mode" Tongue Tied (TM). Your credit card says John C. Smith but your live account says John Smith? REJECT! No Your IP address changed twice in the same year? REJECT! No Your live address says "123 fake st" but your card says "123 fak st"? REJECT! No

The above are exaggerations, but you get the point. Now, it is possible to try and get around Mr. Paranoid by setting their account out of region and buying cards for that region from the Internet. Hmm However, sometimes Mr. Paranoid catches them on the flip side by blocking them when they make their purchase Super Angry or by stopping the download or even corrupting the file. Devil These are all over the forums and it seldom comes down to anything other than "non-supported region". Stick out tongue

However, if you tried to buy a gold subscription with those points, the gold subscribe machine would wave them through at once - and Mr. Paranoid can't allow that. Geeked So, it simply won't take them at all. Now why Microsoft set it up this way is a another question entirely... but that's how it is. Sad

You say: "Gameplay is more important than story."
    I say: "Why can't I have both?"