This question is answered

An error occured cancelling automatic renewal.

• Level   1

After trying on several occasions to cancel, it became sort of obvious that this error isn't really an error, but obviously built in. So I figured I could just go remove my credit card information and be done. NOPE. The only way to remove your credit card is to add a new one. How are they getting away with this?

Anyone had any luck dealing with it?

Verified Answer
  • Hey there King, as you mentioned, that video is over three years old, posted before the ability to cancel auto-renew online was made available. :-) The option to cancel auto-renewal online should be available to all members, however, if there are complications with your billing account, the option must not be available. For those users that receive an error message trying to cancel auto-renewal on Xbox.com, a call to phone support is necessary, I'm afraid.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

All Replies
    • Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Your problem is when you have auto renewal on you cannot delete your card info. Your going to have to call support and as them to stop auto renewal and then you can remove your card.

• Level   X

Hey there InformedMike - you should absolutely be able to cancel your Automatic Renewal from the website. Since this does need to be off before removing the credit card, I'd like to help you get it resolved first. :) What specific error do you see when you try to cancel? Thanks :)

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

Same thing happening to me. Obviously a con so they prevent people from cancelling their membership; how dishonest and unethical they are. Now I definitely won't be subscribing again.

• Level   2

Guys seriously? If you spent the same amount of time to just call and cancel it if it's not working on the website as you do whining about it, you would have had it cancelled already. This whole con talk is just ridiculous if you haven't tried everything to cancel auto-renewal. It's so easy to blame big bad Microsoft for your own laziness.

Keanakalia

• Level   1

I pay to use a service therefore I have the right to "complain" so that that service may improve in the future. Not everyone has easy access to a phone like yourself, stop being so thoughtless. It is clearly unethical to make it extremely easy to subscribe over the internet but to make it impossible to unsubscribe the same way. Whether I am lazy or not is irrelevant.  

• Level   1

I completely agree. Several occasions I've tried to cancel the automatic renewal and it just says error right away. And I did try calling and was put on hold forever. I guess they have to make money somehow.

• Level   1

Same here. And to add that when you are given an option to cancel auto renewal via the web site it should work.  Yes I can, and I will call up to cancel. But the fact remains that the website method should work so get off your soapbox Keanakalia as people have a right to complain as believe it or not that is how things are improved.

• Level   1

So I cancelled my membership over the phone today. It took 19minutes to simply tell some to cancel my membership. Totally ridiculous; especially because you can start a membership online or on your xbox in a matter of seconds. Won't be subscribing again because it took so long to cancel it.  

Sort it out Xbox

• Level   S

Hey guys! I just wanted to clear up a few things with auto renewal and payment methods. You can cancel auto renewal at any time from your Account Page here on Xbox.com. As for the payment method, this will need to remain on the account until the current subscription ends. Once it expires, you'll be able to freely remove any and all payment methods.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on the matter. Thanks!

• Level   1

Mister Gwyther: "You can cancel auto renewal at any time".

None of us here have been able to successfully cancel our auto renewal online and looking elsewhere on Google the same problem seems to be very common. There is even a video on youtube dedicated to the fact that it is not possible to cancel your auto renewal online (watch?v=MahLN3MCtz8) and that was uploaded in 2009 (over 3 years ago).

My question to you is, why are people still getting this error message 3 years on?

And

How do you deal with the error message?

• Hey there King, as you mentioned, that video is over three years old, posted before the ability to cancel auto-renew online was made available. :-) The option to cancel auto-renewal online should be available to all members, however, if there are complications with your billing account, the option must not be available. For those users that receive an error message trying to cancel auto-renewal on Xbox.com, a call to phone support is necessary, I'm afraid.

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement

• Level   1

So again:

Why are so many of us getting this error message when we attempt to cancel our memberships from recurring?

and

How may you prevent this error from occurring in the first place?

Also you admit that this has been a problem for over 3 years, so why does it still exist? It's not a very complicated problem for a company of Microsoft's stature to deal with.

• Level   S

Greetings, KingGoonIan. I can understand your frustration, however as Mister Fitzer mentioned if you encounter errors cancelling auto-renew phone support can help. Unfortunately we are unable to address billing matters over the forums and a call to phone support is necessary for these types of issues. Thanks for your understanding!

That said, if you have any comments or feedback about the system I would encourage you to create a thread in this forum: forums.xbox.com/.../133.aspx. This will make sure your feedback gets heard by the optimum audience.

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

I have been having the same issue...can not cancel Via net is this some sort of scam.. I can find NO WAY TO TURN OFF auto renew.....

!!!!!!!!The Darklord commands YOU!!!!!!!
    • Level   1

Hey I just wish to add fuel to the flames here - I have the same problem. It's not actually MY account I'm trying to cancel, but my GF is trying to cancel hers (because now we just splitscreen).

The AUTO-RENEW off option does not work (let me just caps this as I really want to shout it) IT DOESN'T WORK!

Now I appreciate if this is some form of browser specific java/applet/use IE cos we said so thing - but we've tried repeatedly over the months.

Mods, I hate to be the jerk - but your answers are bobbins. I previously had to take a hiatus and the only way this became possible was when my credit card actually expired.

Also - we live in the UK. My Google-Fu may be weak - but I don't really fancy staying up till gone midnight to phone your US only phone numbers (which we get charged for, a lot).

When going through online support, we can't even request a callback because you're rotten system doesn't recognise UK numbers.

This is a complaint, this is unsatisfactory, this is fraudulent and dishonest. Please either sort us out, now, or provide a reasonable method to cancel auto-subscription.

Thanks

(Crazy as bat stuff of UK)