This question is answered

Help Please! "Your payment instrument could not be authorized."

• Level   3

I've continually been getting these messages when I tried to buy my points. I just bought some points like 3 hours ago and now all my credit cards are giving me the message, "Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option."

I already looked online and researched the web and found that other people have been having this same problem. Is this a Microsoft problem? Please help.

"The object of war is not to die for one's country, but to make the other *** die for his." -Gen. George S. Patton
Verified Answer
  • Zooix: I understand that you are frustrated with this issue, but as both myself and Portia have suggested, you should try a different payment method (preferably from a different provider) and if it still doesn't work, contact phone support in your region (support.xbox.com/.../contact-us.aspx). You can alternatively use prepaid time and points cards sold at most electronics retailers.

All Replies
    • Level   1

i have this same stupid problem i want the blackops map pack!

• Level   1

yeah i've got it too, its pissing me off hard, want the new maps lol

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Have you contacted your bank, or tried a different payment method?

• Level   1

dude this is [mod removed] its happening to me to, my friends like is everything right, yes everything is *** right, ive checked it 10 times. when you think this is gonna change? i bought points literally 10 mintues ago but not enough by accident, and now it wont let me buy it to the same exact credit card

• Level   1

Yup... I'm getting the same problem

• Level   1

I'm getting it too... I can't add new cards either.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

If you just bought some points, and then it suddenly gives that message, you should wait it out a bit. You should also contact the financial institution to see if there is any issue there. Another thing is that some cards are just not accepted. Most prepaid Visa/MC's are not useable, as well as any cards that you get a payment on, like Social Security, paycheck, unemployment, child support, etc.

If you have to ask, you'll never know....

• Level   1

I'm getting it too, trying to add points for the new COD:BO map pack. I can't use my credit card. I added my PayPal account on the web site and can't use that either. I get the same message as above with both methods.

Edit: I was having the above problems when trying to add 4000 points. I changed it to adding 1600 points and it went right through without any problems. Seems to be some sort of coding issue, but try a different add amount and see if it works for you.

• Level   1

i got exactly the same problem mate. i added 1000 Microsoft points and then a second later when i went to add 500 more it said that message. cant understand why ive tried 4 other cards

• Level   1

having same problem, i suggest going and buying a prepaid MSP card

• Level   1

Im getting the exact same problem, it worked fine for me one second and now its not. ive also waited 48 hours and again im still getting "Your payment instrument could not be authorized. Please contact your provider, or try a different payment option". Ive rang my bank and they say everything is okay and working so its not at that end, ive tried online, through xbox, paypal, several cards and absolutely nothing. Anyone else found anything else out yet?

im only 80 MS points from maps and this is REALLY annoying me now!

• Level   1

Same thing with me. I double checked my Billing Info, and also made sure I have no fees. I have yet to call the bank though. Problem is, if I do call, I have no idea where to begin or what to ask.

• Level   1

Yup, I cant add points using any of the available methods. Paypal or credit cards. The website isn't working either.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I got this problem fixed. i rang up the customer services and they literally removed my card and re-added it and it worked perfectly fine! So; FOR UK support.xbox.com/.../call-us.aspx and get the number to call the customer services (its option 2 and then option 2 again) and they will fix it for you! pretty quick too like, was only on for about 6-8 minutes so wont cost you your life! Hope this fixes everything for you guys too. See you on COD

• Level   1

I am having this same issue and I have verified there's absolutely no problems with my billing information or my accounts.  All accounts associated to my Xbox Live account are in good standing, yet I still get this error message.

It's very frustrating, especially since I've been on hold on and off with customer service for a good part of 3 hours now and have not been able to get through to anyone.