This question is answered

"An outstanding balance exists..." + new card

• Level   1

Right, so I got a new issue of my debit card recently, I updated my payment details in the other places I use it but forgot about my xbox! I just added my new card as a brand spanking new payment option rather than edit the new card's details over my old one after a problem with another site but I can't remove the now unusable payment option because of "An outstanding balance exists on this payment instrument. Please try again later.".

What can I do to fix this so I can remove the old card? Will it just fix itself when the test charges for the new card mentioned in this announcement thread are completed? Do I have to phone someone?

Also this is my first time using the new forums, they look nice.

Verified Answer
    • Level   1
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Nevermind! Eventually found my way to the microsoft billing website, changed to my new payment option and it's fixed it. Anyone who encounters the same problem should do the same :D

My Xbox -> Accounts -> Billing History (goes directly to billing.microsoft.com)

All Replies
    • Level   1

please same prob please tell me how.

• Level   1

go to the website that Blue Jess linked to and switch over your old credit card to a new credit card

• Level   1

does outstanding balance mean that there is a fee i have to pay from that old card?

• Level   1

Yes, you must add a new card or pay the old fee. Usually this means microsoft points or live gold still tied to the card.

• Level   1

Do you guys know if it still charge you more?

• Level   2

You can't have a balance from MS points Jeiu, only renewal fees.  All MS points are charged at the time of purchase or else they won't go through.

• Level   1

Ummm well i forgott to put money in my bank you see and i thought i get charged, so i went to nationwide (mybank) and they destroyed my card and gave me a new one with same details etc. I never got charged but i cant remove mine because of the same message 'an outstanding balance exists on this payment'  Do i have to pay it? Fuc*k that if i got to i just sell my xbox Lol