This question is answered

1 month gold free trial

• Level   2

I noticed on xbox live a promotion for 1 month gold free trial. I clicked on it and i was comforming the purcahse, and it's free. I clicked on it and then a error showed up saying that it had trouble getting information from xbox live. Has anyone seen this promotion on xbox live today? And can anyone help?

Verified Answer
  • If you saw this promotion on the dashboard of your console and you are currently a Silver member (as in you don't currently pay for Xbox Live), then the usual solution is that you need to add a credit card to your account first. The reason being is that these 1 month free promotions automatically renew themselves after the free month is over, so it needs a credit card to charge. Of course you can get the free month and not pay for any additional months, you just need to turn off automatic renewal after you activate the promo, which you can do either through this website or by contacting Xbox Customer Support. Hope this helps.

• You turn off automatic renewal after you activate the promotion. So if you didn't get the promotion yet, and you can still find it on the dashboard:

1. add a credit card to your account.

2. select the promotion on your dashboard and  follow the steps to get the free month.

3. use the My Account link at the top right of this web site

4. Towards the top, in the big grey box, you will see the words Automatic Renewal, it will say On, click Change to turn it off, that way you don't get charged after your free month is over.

However, if you no longer see the promotion on your dashboard, then it's possible the promotion is over, which I have seen happen a lot in my time while working for Xbox Support. Hopefully you can still get it, too bad if not.

All Replies
  • If you saw this promotion on the dashboard of your console and you are currently a Silver member (as in you don't currently pay for Xbox Live), then the usual solution is that you need to add a credit card to your account first. The reason being is that these 1 month free promotions automatically renew themselves after the free month is over, so it needs a credit card to charge. Of course you can get the free month and not pay for any additional months, you just need to turn off automatic renewal after you activate the promo, which you can do either through this website or by contacting Xbox Customer Support. Hope this helps.

• Level   2

Yes, i saw it on the dashboard of the xbox. So where do i go to turn off renwel on here to get the free xbox live?

• You turn off automatic renewal after you activate the promotion. So if you didn't get the promotion yet, and you can still find it on the dashboard:

1. add a credit card to your account.

2. select the promotion on your dashboard and  follow the steps to get the free month.

3. use the My Account link at the top right of this web site

4. Towards the top, in the big grey box, you will see the words Automatic Renewal, it will say On, click Change to turn it off, that way you don't get charged after your free month is over.

However, if you no longer see the promotion on your dashboard, then it's possible the promotion is over, which I have seen happen a lot in my time while working for Xbox Support. Hopefully you can still get it, too bad if not.

• Level   2

So i do this on the xbox. Do i have to put in a credit card number or can i do this without?

• Level   2

You'll need to put in a credit card or else it will give you an error.

• Level   2

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll do what i can.

• Level   1

You Got To Have A Credit Card.