This question is answered

account not permitted to download content with a certain rating?

• Level   1

Ok so heres the dilemma: when creating my xbox LIVE account, I set my age incorrectly, as I sometimes do that. which made me look 14 when I am actually 19. When I got Microsoft Marketplace points to get M rated content from the marketplace, it wouldn't let me download the content, or any of the map pack trailers (the game is Halo: Reach). Everytime I tried to buy the content, it came up with an error that said: "This account is not permitted to download content with this rating" but the second account that appeared when I signed up for xbox LIVE could. So I tried going into Family Settings and turning it off, still didn't work. I turned it on but changed all the settings so I could play and watch anything. Still didn't work. I went into Online Safety and changed everything so that is was allowed or everyone could see it. still wouldn't let me purchase the trailers for Halo: Reach. I even tried removing the "parent" account from my 360, and that still didnt work. So what I want to know now is, what should I do to fix the "This account is not permitted to download content with this rating" error? its really starting to bug me... And just incase this helps: my xbox 360 dashboard is the older model, or original design.

And yes, I know that I dont have enough MP to download Halo: Reach, im getting more soon

Verified Answer
  • nope age and region of an gamertag is Not changable after the creation of an account once set

demos and trailers do not fall under parental settings and you MUST wait till you are 18 and promote the account

All Replies
    • Level   1

If you go in on edit profile you can change the windows live account and age for your gamertag.

If you test that I supose it will work then.

• nope age and region of an gamertag is Not changable after the creation of an account once set

demos and trailers do not fall under parental settings and you MUST wait till you are 18 and promote the account

• Level   1

I'm having a similar problem here. Joined.a family pack with the hubby, listing me as primary.. now he can't access the gears 3 trailer. He's 29, had his account on live 6 freakin years... trying to find a solution w/out starting up a new gamertag. Any ideas?

• Level   7

the new gamertag does not need to be gold to access demos and trailers

• Level   1

same problem with me but im 13 but my parents would let me buy a map pack for CoD but its rated M but the thing always pops up saying im not permited to buy it. any help??

• Level   7

ask your dad to change the parental settings to allow m rated purchases

• Level   1

Im having the same problem and i still dont understand what to do. my parents let me play M+ games and it wont let me download the dead rising demo.

• Level   7

Read my first post

It addresses demos you have to wait till the gamertag turns 18

Also changing the windows live ID nor editing the windows live ID will change the age of the gamertag read the first post again lol

• Level   1

heres an interesting twist in the forum post though: a few weeks ago, I was browsing around the game marketplace... before that, I heard my friend Mightyheaven11 saying that he had been wanting Red Dead Redemption for some time, becuase he really loved the game before he sold it.... so I found it on the game marketplace, was looking at it, and found that I had exactly enough MP to buy it... I THOUGHT it wouldnt let me buy the full game, seeing my dilemma posted before, but it turns out that it let me buy RDR for some reason, despite its M rating! So i did a liscense transfer on the game so now Mightyheaven11 has it, but it still confuses me that I was allowed to buy Red Dead Redemption on the game marketplace, but not something like the Halo Reach Forge Vidoc... Im thinking its just a glitch in the system, but who knows?

• Level   4

itroitnyah
    it still confuses me that I was allowed to buy Red Dead Redemption on the game marketplace, but not something like the Halo Reach Forge Vidoc... Im thinking its just a glitch in the system, but who knows?

Working as designed, no glitch: videos and demos are considered promotional or advertisements, and no child accounts can download them for M-rated games. There are settings to allow purchases of M-rated content, but no settings to allow viewing/downloading of M-rated free, promotional materials (videos, demos).

(Trying to re-state that simply, as folks often don't get how it applies to their situation.)

• Level   1

well that really explains it :) thanks!

• Level   1

i download dragon age 2 on the website and im on a family plan and i can't download dragon age 2. so my boyfriend, he's the one with the head of the family plan changed me to the adult plan, and still i can't download. so he changed all the setting and still can't download. but im an adult. why can't i download dragon age 2 for my in game item. but on was on a child's account thing first before my boyfriend changed my account to adult. i didn't even knew i was on a child's account.

• Level   1

i got it, but i don't know if it works for others, but here it is. ok i went to the website select the game you want and go sign in to xbox and sign in. well i went to the download thing on my xbox and for some reason it sayes it downloading to another conclose. so press the A button and you will see something like you want to download only this item press ok and it will start to download. i hoped it works.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I had the same problem trying to download a rated M demo for a game. Tried all the solutions you did. Then I found out that making a xbox live account doesn't require any payment upfront. So I made a new xbox live account and changed my birthday to make me at least 18 years old. Downloading the demo right now. Should let me play the demo on my regular xbox live account, but we'll see.

• Level   1

You could try using switching WLID's or downloading your game  on another gamertag. You can get your content to play on the main account ( that won't work) on your Xbox.