This question is answered

Put DLC on thumbstick/flash drive and play it from that with no Live?

• Level   2

For quite a while now, probably a long while, I won't be able to connect my Xbox to Xbox Live, but I want to download some DLC. My question is, would it be possible to download it to my thumbstick online and then use that thumbstick to play the DLC on my console?

Verified Answer
    • Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Unfortunately not. DLC must be downloaded directly to the console. This prevents piracy and also allows for console licenses (which allow all users on the original downloading console to utilize the DLC).

All Replies
    • Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Unfortunately not. DLC must be downloaded directly to the console. This prevents piracy and also allows for console licenses (which allow all users on the original downloading console to utilize the DLC).

• Level   2

Oh well, thanks anyway.

• Level   2
    • Suggested Answer

Yes you can download to your USB drive and use the DLC from there, as the license would still belong to your console.

Putting the drive in another console wouldn't work if you were thinking of piracy because they'd still the purchasing gamertag to use it and need that tag to be connected to Live.

I know this because I got as new console for my birthday last week and had to use a spare USB drive to download some content to because the internal storage was not enough for all I wanted. My Resident Evil 5 DLC if you are interested in what was downloaded to the USB stick.

Sorry jawest you are usually spot on with your advice but in this case you're dead wrong.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   2

Ah no I am a muppet and must be beaten, jawest was perfectly correct. It seems the OP wants to download on a PC and transfer the content to a USB stick, which absolutely will not work I am very sorry jawest.

Mass Effect 3 - MEHEM and Extended Anderson Conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmofIH7rN9U.

• Level   2

Yeah, I knew you could keep the DLC on a USB stick if you downloaded it through the 360 but alas, seems I'm to be without DLC for a while unless I can figure out a creative way to do this...

• Level   2

The only solution for you is the hope that the games will release DLC on disc. Some games such as Fallout 3 and Borderlands have done.

Unfortunately there is no way to download DLC on your PC and have it work with your console though.

• Level   5

The only other possible solution I can think of is to bring your entire XBox to a location with an Internet connection and download DLC to your console (flash drive or hard drive only will not work). That way, when you bring your console back home, you will have the license linked to your account/console and will be able to use the DLC offline.

• Level   5

@voteDC: No worries. We're all just trying to help.

• Level   2

That's certainly a good idea jawest, but I just came up with a creative answer to this problem. Thanks all you guys anyway because you definitely answered my question. This was my first question and I didn't expect people here to be so nice and helpful. Again, thanks for all the ideas but luckily I came up with what I think is an easier one.

• Level   1

Might I ask what your creative answer was?...im having the same issue with the DLC content for Arkham Origins...I reaaalllly wanna play the Death Stroke campain. It came with the game but I dont have internet at my apartment to do so. :(