This question is answered

You are unable to purchase because of age restrictions

• Level   S

It says I’m underage. 
First the obvious question: are you underage? If you are you can still gain access to T- and M-rated content on the Marketplace, but you will need your parents’ permission. They can set up your Online Safety settings to allow you access to content based on what they deem appropriate. Have them check out the Parent’s Guide for more information on these settings.

I created the account when I was underage, but I’m not anymore. 
If since creating your LIVE account you have reached the age of maturity in your region (Happy Birthday!) then you can “promote” your account to a full adult account. The process is simple and should only take a couple minutes to complete. You will need to perform these actions on your console.

1. Navigate to the Settings Hub on the dashboard and select Account.
  2. Navigate to the Your Information panel and select Promote Account.
  3. Select Yes to connect to LIVE.
  4. Review the prompt and select Continue.
  5. Review and accept the Terms of Use.
  6. Check the boxes if you would like to receive info from Xbox.com and its partners.
  7. Your account is now officially all grown up!

The “Promote” option isn’t there. 
Either you are already promoted or you are not old enough to be promoted. 

But I’m not underaged! 
Here’s a less obvious question: how old does Xbox LIVE think you are? When you created your account, you were asked to put in your birthday. If you are using a hotmail.com or live.com email address, it may have automatically added the year, but still asked you for the month and day. Once set, this is your birthday and cannot be changed. 

So, if you set the birthdate wrong, your account may treat you as a child based on this information. If it is incorrect you will have to create a new account with the correct information or wait until your account reaches the appropriate age of maturity for your region and then promote your account. 

I don’t remember what birthdate I put in. 
At this time there is no way for us to provide you with this information. If you can’t remember what birthdate you put in and you are now getting age-restriction messages when trying to purchase content, you may have accidentally put in the wrong date. The only way to fix this experience is to create a new account with the correct birthdate.

Verified Answer
  • Verified! :)

All Replies