This question has suggested answer(s)

Can't download purchased game

• Level   2

Today I purchased Bioshock 2 with MS points. When I attempt to download the game it doesn't get past 1%. Everytime it says can't download after several minutes.

I'm over 18 I don't think therer's any settings that would prevent the download due to it's rating of M. I've followed the instructions of deleting the game and queuing it back up and cleared the cache.

I was in chat with someone from support and went through some things and it still isn't downloading. I've also gone to my router's page and did a reboot and found that the required ports are open. The tech said that my bandwidth was probably too slow. From my router's site it says my speed is 7168mbps or maybe that's what I'm paying for. I followed the link provided on one of the posts here and it clocked at about 6mbps. Any help would be appriciated. 

All Replies
    • Level   S

Greetings, Brianhlp! Thanks for bringing your question to the forums. We'll get this sorted out. First things first, does the region to which your account is registered correspond with the region in which you currently reside? If there are any discrepancies there you may encounter errors such as the one you have described. In addition, I'd be curious to know if you're seeing a sequence of number along with that message. Keep me posted!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2

Thanks for getting back to me. I purchased the console where I live in Colorado Springs. Every time I have tried to download Bioshock 2 it never gets past 1% and the message of "Can't download Bioshock 2" and nothing else. I've done a lot of reading here and have checked my birthdate in my Windows live account. I did not have a b-date entered so I went ahead and did that. (BTW I am over 18 by a long shot).

I also went into the settings of the console and set the rating for all games; it had been set to teen. Not sure why maybe it was the default setting, I've never looked at it before.

As I said in my 1st post I went to my 2wire moden page and I saw what I thought were indicators that showed the ports being open. I saw a suggestion moments ago about checking PFPortchecker to make sure they are open.

Also I have downloaded every add on map for COD zombies (very addicting) and have never encountered a problem. In addition I downloaded an add on for Bioshock the 1st game and it went okay and very quickly. It was  small file. This was done after attempting to download Bioshock 2.  I do not think it is my bandwidth speed as the tech I was in chat with suggested. She said she was sure that what is was. but I don't think that's possible due to the download history before and after.

I'm going to copntinue to check other things here and see if it helps. I also see that there are many others that having the same issue with other downloads/games and some are also getting the same "can't download XYZ": I will repost if I have any success. ...

BTW how do I check regional settings? Maybe it was changed somehow. I'm the only one that has access to the console.

Thanks

• Level   S

Thanks for the new details, Brianhlp. To answer your question, you can check your region settings by going to https://billing.microsoft.com. Take a look and let me know how it goes!

How to use the forums

• Level   2

The account regional settings is Unites States, which is correct.

I still have had no luck. Every time I attempt the download again I get the same result - "Can't download Bioshock2". Also to let you know I cannot use a wired connection. When I first signed up for Xbox live I was using a wired connection from the living room to another room where my router is. I guess I must have kicked the cable at some point because after a day I couldn't sign in after being able to before. After several days and a few phone calls I was advised that the ethernet port was probably fouled. So I opted for the wireless option instead of sending the console in for repair. And I don't want to do that now as I use it everyday, watch movies etc.

I am attempting to copy the results of a speed test below. I understand that speed can sometimes be a factor. But as I touched on in an earlier post I have downloaded other files to include the Rezzurection Pack that was I believe 1.5GB. Not so small. I also understand that there are no refunds usually. If we cannot resolve this is that a possibilty? Just sending the MS points back to my account and removing the game from my purchase history. I would probably find something else to spend the points on as I have already spent the money. Then I could just purchase a hard copr of Bioshock2. Thanks for the help.

1886245147.png

• Level   S

Hey there Brian! I hope you don't mind but I formatted your posts a little so I could read them easier.

I just want to confirm a couple things here. When you try downloading this again, please follow these exact steps: delete DLC > clear system cache > restart the console > download again from download history. Try that out again and let me know if that helps.

Also, are you able to download anything else at this time? You can try downloading content you've already purchased, or if you were going to purchase something else anyway, that's good too. Try a couple things and let me know if they behave the same or if they download successfully.

If all content is now having problems downloading, try turning the console off, removing the storage device, and then try using a different one, either a new Hard Drive or a USB storage device. Can you download properly to this storage device? Alright, try all that out and let us know what you find. Thanks!

• Level   2

I followed your advice from the 1st paragraph and it didn't work. As far as downloading something after having this problem, yes I have been able to. I downloaded a small add-on to the 1st Bishock game and it worked. I also tried to download 2 larger COD add-on zombie maps that I had downloaded before.

Both started out at 0% and then went to 1% after a few seconds. Then a few seconds later it said that the downloads were successful. I decided to try something that I hadn't downloaded before, the demo for the 1st Bioshock game. This file was 1.35GB. It did download okay and played. It took about 45 minutes.

• Level   S

Thanks for the info Brian! Can you also take a look at the last paragraph in my previous post to try those steps out. Let me know how that goes!

• Level   2

As I have mentioned in previous posts I am NOT having problems with all downloads. I have been able to download content after having this issue with Bioshock 2. Again this morning I decided to download the Minerva's Den demo and it was successful. Also as mentioned before I do not have a USB port available due to the ethernet port being fouled. I am currently using the USB port for a wireless adapter. In addition I don't want to spend the money on another hard drive that will not be refundable after I find that it's not the hard drive. The problem is with this game or at least it appears to be.

• Level   S

You can use the two front-facing USB ports that are normally for controllers as a USB storage port as well.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting purchasing any extra Hard Drives at this time, I'm simply trying to run through all possible scenarios and see how the console behaves. I understand that other downloads are working properly at this time, but I just want to make sure to rule out all the basic stuff before we get into the nitty gritty, as it were.

Thank you for your effort and patience here!

• Level   2

Purchased a flash drive, configured it and downloaded my profile. Also Xbox HD was removed before starting. Attempted to download as before and got the same exact result.

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Greetings, Brianhlp! Sorry for the delay in replying - that's my goof. Just to confirm, when you say you attempted to download as before, do you mean that you attempted to download it to your flash drive? Do you have access to another console? Along those lines, do you have a friend in your area who has also purchased this content? Can they attempt to download the game with your console while using their gamertag and let us know if that makes a difference? Keep us posted!

How to use the forums

• Level   2

Yes I attempted to download the game to a flash drive with no luck. As far as the rest of the questions, no. I'm wondering how long this string will go looking for something that " suggests" the problem lay with something on my end. At this point I could do without this game altogether.

The reason I went for the download was because of conveniece and the fact that I had never had a problem before. When I first explored the reason for this I opted for a chat session with someone. She went through the same basic steps that you would expect only to say it was my bandwidth.

However, she did mention that "we could always give a refund" if nothing works. At this point that's what I would prefer. Considering that I have already spent my cash for the MS points I don't see it as being an issue. You keep the game, I keep my points. Then I could spend them on something else as the money is already spent.

Now if the response is we don't do that then keep my points and keep the game as I am done with this.

• Level   S

Hey Brianhlp, I'm sorry that this issue has been ongoing, I can certainly understand why you might be frustrated. I'm afraid we are not able to provide any billing changes through the forums so for that you would need to click to chat or call phone support. If you'd like continued support, please let us know!

• Level   2

Okay. Thanks Kleo. I am...was a little frustrated. I do understand what your, and the others here, roles are. Thank you for directing me onward.

• Level   2

To Miss Kleo or Mr. Gwyther or Mr Darcy...I went back to chat and had "Cami" as the person on the other end. I told her of everything that I had tried and also that the first chat person said that I COULD have a refund of my points if I was unsuccessful after coming here to the forums. She ended up telling me that I needed to try an ethernet cable. But as I have stated clearly here and to her as well I do not have that option as the port is broken. Then she proceeds to tell me that I cannot have a refund unless I can try the download with an ethernet cable. She could not say it was a technical issue until that try failed as well. When I reminded her that I had posted moments ago that I could use a cable she then suggested that I have it repaired. For $100. No. Not gonna happen. Plus I would be without the console for some time. I use it nightly to watch movies from  Netflix. I guess the tech issue trumps customer service and customer satisfaction. I don't understand why this is so hard for you people.

Here's how this is gone:

Chat sends me to the forums.

Forums goes through endless, but neccessary step to find a solution. No luck.

Forums sends me to chat after I ask for the refund of points.

Chat tells me that I need to spend another $100 to see IF the problem is a tech issue and not my speed..etc..etc

Me....Totally frustrated and completely dissatisfied. And...will likey never purchase anything like this again. In the end it's only $14.95 to me. I'm not a kid and the money means nothing to me. But...this experience does. As I said before. Keep my points and keep your game. I am done with this.