This question is answered

Hard Drive Licenses?

• Level   1

So, I have an Xbox 360 S with a 250GB hard drive and am looking to upgrade to a 320GB. Unfortunately, I don’t know much about digital rights management, but I do know there are two types of license: the system/gamertag license and local/console license. If I bought a new console I know I would have to perform a license transfer.

How does the process work with just changing the hard drive though? Do I need to do anything besides transferring my content from my current hard drive to the new one via transfer kit? Any there any licenses I need to transfer? What happens to the licenses of the downloadable content I have deleted off of my current hard drive? Do they simply stay associated with my gamertag and console? Will I still be able to play my downloadable content offline after I have downloaded/transferred it to my new hard drive?

Sorry for the deluge of questions, but I really want to get definitive answers so I can put this issue to bed once and for all, thanks!

Verified Answer
    • Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

The console licenses are associated with the console, not the hard drive. So you wont have to do anything but transfer the content to the new hard drive or download it again.

All content purchased will stay associated with your account. You will only need to do a license transfer if you get a new console. You just need to access your download history and download the content again if you get a new hard drive.

Its that easy! :)

Hope that Answered your questions!

• Level   7
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Q. How does the process work with just changing the hard drive though?

A. Just swap the hard drives and that's really it.

Q. Do I need to do anything besides transferring my content from my current hard drive to the new one via transfer kit?

A. Nothing else is needed besides using the transfer kit or a USB Flash Drive to move content over.

Q. Any there any licenses I need to transfer?

A. No, nothing in terms of licenses are needed.

Q. What happens to the licenses of the downloadable content I have deleted off of my current hard drive?

Since licenses are tied to the Console ID of the XBOX 360 it wouldn't matter if you do delete anything off of your hard drive as you can instantly download anything that you've purchased again by visiting this link here.

Q. Do they simply stay associated with my gamertag and console?

A. Content that's purchased on the console are connected to the console and the gamertag. If you were to go to a friends house and download your profile on his XBOX 360 and login with your account that's connected to the internet you will be able to download any play any content you've purchased. When playing on consoles that are not your own the only check the XBOX 360 does is an authentication with XBOX Live. As long as the gamertag was the same that purchased it and is connected to the internet the content will download and display properly.

Q. Will I still be able to play my downloadable content offline after I have downloaded/transferred it to my new hard drive?

A. Yes, you should not have any issues with that what so ever.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask them, we'll do our best to answer them for you. 

All Replies
    • Level   1

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

• Level   1

Just a question, If i downloaded some content on one profile, and then transferred it to a new drive (same console), would i be able to use the content on a different profile to the one i downloaded it on?

• Level   V
    • Suggested Answer

Yes. Since the licenses are connected to the console and not the hard drive, it would still work the same way.