This question is not answered

Windows 8 and XBox not seeing each other.

• Level   2

Downloaded Windows 8, got the Windows Media Center Add On also.

*Tried enable sharing through other devices in settings, shared my video folder.

*Tried adding extender through WMC, WMC said it was probably a firewall issue.  I even turned off Windows Firewall all together.

I can't get either to work.  This worked fine pre-Windows 8.

All Replies
    • Level   1

I have the same problem. The video app on xbox is empty if i connect to pc with windows 8

• Level   3

ok lets try getting this solved!.. :)

To start; open the windows 8 start screen, and types services, select settings and click on local services.

Once there, click on the name tab to place everything is alphabetical order.

now find these services and make sure they are running and set to automatic :

-device association service

-dhcp client

-ssdp discovery

-upnp device host

-media center extender service

once this is done, restart the following services so that all connected services also restart:

-dhcp client

-ssdp discovery

upnp device host.

let me know how it goes after those steps.

Gaming Room 2014

• Level   1

Elvis7's suggestion worked perfectly for me.

I did a full reboot though, instead of restarting just the services.

"media center extender service" in particular was disabled on my machine by default.

• Level   3

Good to know it worked for someone, it is also the same steps for a windows 7 system as well.

Gaming Room 2014

• Level   1

Do what Elvis suggested and also make sure all your drivers are up to date. Especially the Network card and your Video Card. Do not use the Device Manager to verify if the drivers are updated. Go to each Manufacturer of each device, or to your computer manufacturer. I had Microsoft working on mine for well over 30 hours to finally figure this out.

• Level   2

Windows 8 will allow you to "play to" the xbox, but it will not allow the xbox to play music from it. Crappy glitch that microsoft is yet to fix...