This question has suggested answer(s)

Windows 8/Smartglass/Xbox video "Play to"

• Level   1

So here's the deal. I upgraded to windows 8 pro about a month ago. Ever since I have been trying to get the smartglass/video/general xbox connectivity stuff to work. I can get the computer connected to the xbox enough that both my computer and the xbox acknowledge the smartglass connection, even to the point where I can control the xbox using the "controller" feature in smartglass (the one with big on screen buttons, not any of the keyboard features, which look really handy). However, I have yet to be able to get the xbox to show up in my devices in windows 8, and when I try to use the "Play to" feature from the video app, I get a message along the lines of "you don't have any devices that can play this media" (which, according to the list of my devices, is technically true). To summarize...

---The Good---
-Smartglass, xbox video, and xbox music apps are all installed on my windows 8 laptop
-both the xbox and laptop have good internet connections
-the xbox has both smartglass and streaming/sharing options set to on
-my computer has every sharing option I could find set to on
-I can use the basic, on screen buttons, control abilities of smartglass
----The Bad---
-the xbox does not show up as a device on my computer
-"play to" features do not work
-none of the other smartglass features work (the only thing that does work being that controller thing)
***One last thought, I thought of two possible issues with the network?? (I'm not sure if they would matter, I'm just techy enough to get myself into trouble)
   1.) It is a school network, so a login was required (possible interference from the security protocols?)
   2.) While I am on the same network as the xbox, it is connected via LAN while I am connected via Wifi
Any and all help/advice/ideas more than welcome!!
Thanks!
All Replies
    • Level   5

One thing to try is to turn Smartglass off on the 360, turn the 360 off, then turn them both on again, then try right clicking on a music or video file and see if the 'Play To' option is listed. If so try clicking on the listed 360 and see if it plays.

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   1

I actually already tried that. That's what I managed to get out of tech support chat or ambassador chat or whatever its called. (side note: I talked to both windows 8 and xbox tech support, and both of them referred me to the other saying it was "outside their realm" since it involved both windows and xbox. Get your stuff together microsoft!)

• Level   5

Figured you might have. I will fire up my old 60GB console, once its updated will see if i can get the Playto to work on it, as i cannot remeber what i did to get it to work on the Slim i use.

"I don't celebrate because it is my job. When a postman delivers his letters, does he celebrate?" - Mario Balotelli

• Level   5

Ok, fired up old console, let it do its system update, then selected an avi file from my desktop, right clicked it, hit playto and it fired up on the 360 no problem.

-

That got me thinking about what i had done in Windows 8, and it struck me i had set up a Homegroup for my network. A quick google, sorry Bing search, confirmed this is the case.

-

So, have you set up a Homegroup within Windows 8? If not, try it, i suspect that is all you need to get it working.

• Level   1

Thanks for doing all that. I do actually have a homegroup set up on my laptop, but I haven't been able to/don't know how to add the xbox to it if that's what you are wondering. Is there a way to do this/do I need to?

• Level   5

It should add automatically. You can check by going to the settings charm>>>>pc settings>>>devices. Mine now has 2 360's listed. Another thing to look at, also in the pc settings screen, is the Homegroup tab. Make sure the Music, Pictures etc are on shared, and just below them is Media. Make sure thats 'on' as that is to allow the devices on your network to play shared content.

• Level   1

Dang it! I did already have a homegroup set up, with sharing on (for everything but documents), and the xbox still doesn't show up in my devices. I connected to the xbox via smartglass, used the controller feature to double check the connection, and then Alt+tab into devices and had it scan, and still nothing!

• Level   5

In pc settings, devices, at the top it says add a device, try turning the your 360 on, then clicking that and letting it search maybe? Im running out of ideas here as well lol!

• Level   1

Alright, I tried that and it says no devices found...

Seriously though, thanks for all the advice man, I have no clue what the heck the problem is. Any more ideas?

• Level   1

K so this time I tried redoing the steps with my computer plugged into the same router as the xbox via LAN cable, and it worked!...sorta. I got the video to stream, but still couldn't use the keyboard controls or browser or anything like that. Based on that I'd guess that the problem is with the login system for my school's wifi, which I guess means I'm skrewed for now

• Level   S

Hey there Dirksoccer,

Have you contacted your campus IT department about the device networking issue that you are experiencing.  There may be a block in the school's system that would keep that type of feature from working.

Get a hold of them, and let us know what you find out.

• Level   1

I've got the exact same issue.  With my Xbox 360 I can use the SmartGlass controller feature but not the keyboard feature on my Windows 8 machine.   I can use the keyboard feature on my Windows Phone 7.5.  All are on the same network Xbox is wired, the others wireless.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

I know this thread is about a month old (I hate to necro) but it is still marked as unanswered so I will try to help anyway.

I have a couple of things for you (or anyone reading) to do.

First:

Open the windows 8 start screen, or press and hold the windows key on your keyboard while pressing the letter "R" and type services.msc, select settings and click on local services.

Once there, click on the name tab to place everything is alphabetical order.

Find these services and make sure they are running and set to automatic:

-device association service

-dhcp client

-ssdp discovery

-upnp device host

-media center extender service

When that is done, restart the following services so that all connected services also restart. Some will start automatically when doing others.

-dhcp client

-ssdp discovery

-upnp device host

Next:

Right click the network connection in the notification area (where your clock is). This will be signal bars or an Ethernet icon depending on your connection type. Now click on "Open Network and Sharing Center". When this opens look to the bottom left of the open window for the link "HomeGroup". Now the link you want to click on will say "Allow all devices on this network such as TV's and game consoles to play my shared content" and click "Allow All" or just enable the device you're wanting to connect.

Post back with result.

Thanks to my fellow Ambassador ELVIS7 for a portion of this fix.

• Level   1

Hi Kirbee,

I have the same issue as Dirksoccer ( I posted a thread), but mine was initially working. I tried the steps that you suggested, but upon restarting the services, I got a message that Windows was "attempting to stop" the services that I changed to automatic and it didn't seem to restart. I restarted my computer, hoping that it will take, but I still can't locate my Xbox. It sounds like it might be my network and I'm waiting to get clarification before I do the suggested solution. So, going back, what function is making Windows stop the services from restarting?

• Level   1

Hi.  I have the same problem.  Mine also used to work until Friday and it was wonderful to be able to 'Play To:' all my photos and videos straight on the Xbox, no need for fancy cables and extra speakers.  Then suddenly by Sunday it was gone!  

I had a long chat with Lisa from customer support and we tried everything Kirbee suggested, but still no luck.  

Here is my chat with customer support.

"You are now chatting with 'Lisa'.

Wessels: Hi Lisa

Lisa: Hello Wessels, I hope you are doing well today. Let me introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I will be helping you today. Do you mind if I take a minute to look over your issue? I will get right back to you.

Wessels: No problem, thank you so much

Lisa: Thanks for giving me a moment to review your notes on this account, I do apologize you are having this issue with your computer and the windows 8 what is exactly happening when you try to sign in?

Wessels: It lets me sign in to Windows with my Microsoft Account and even on the Xbox with the Live account, immediately when I sign in on the Xbox a message for Smartglass comes on the W8 PC, but still no Play To option in the right click menu

Lisa: Thank you for that information did you download the smart-glass on the console and on the computer. It will link the two together.

Wessels: Not one the console no, how do I do that?

Wessels: Now when I opened Smartglass on the PC a message popped up on the TV immediately

Lisa: That is great so download the smart glass on the message on the console if it gives you that option please.

Wessels: No such option - was just a notification to say I signed in on the PC

Wessels: Said imspottedhyena connected with SmartGlass

Lisa: That is awesome so it is downloaded on the console, so what happens on the computer?

Wessels: when I sign in on the xbox it says imspottedhyena, join in the smartglass experience on the PC

Wessels: When I go in Smartglass it says Connecting to Sbox then allows me to do things to the Xbox remotely like play music etc.

Wessels: But still no 'Play To' in the right click, like it used to until at least Friday

Lisa: Yes that is correct and what it is suppose to do, okay so with the no play issue, is it grayed out or is it just not there?

Wessels: Just not there

Lisa: Give me a moment please looking that issue up.

Lisa: Is this all games or a certain game?

Wessels: No the games are all fine. It's the pictures, songs and videos on the computer that can no longer be played to the xbox/tv

Lisa: Sorry it is taking me a moment to review this and find a resolution just another moment please.

Wessels: No worries, thanks

Lisa: This is really strange, so you did download the smart glass on the computer also right because it tell you it is there? Can you delete it off the computer and reinstall it for me please.

Wessels: I could do that - one moment

Lisa: Sure thanks for doing that, let me know please.

Wessels: uninstall and redownload from the store?

Lisa: Yes please.

Wessels: Ok done

Lisa: Great lets try and launch it and see if the play is there and is working for you.

Wessels: Does work like it used to, but when I try and play a video from the PC it says - You don't have any devices that can receive content from Video

Wessels: and obviosly still nothing in the right click menu

Lisa: Okay there is something that I am missing, let me look again, I do apologize this is taking me a moment to resolve this for you.

Wessels: Should the Xbox show up in my device manager or Homegroup?

Lisa: Yes it should show up in there. I have a link to one of our forum posts I am going to send to you, a lot of helpful information could not post it all in here you would be reading a book, so click the link then let me know if that helped or you have any questions please. Is that okay with you if I stay until this is resolved?

Lisa: click this link please.

Wessels: Thanks

Lisa: Or if that does not load I will copy it for you also.

Lisa: forums.xbox.com/.../405956.aspx

Wessels: Sounds almost exactly like my issue

Lisa: That is why I thought you would enjoy and it would be of some great help, I will stay with you if you want to review and try a few of those things he posted, if you do not mind?

Wessels: Thanks let's try them

Lisa: Great thanks for staying with me, let me know if you have any questions as I am also reading it with you.

Lisa: So, have you set up a Homegroup within Windows 8? If not, try it, i suspect that is all you need to get it working. This is what caught my eye on the forums.

Wessels: The Media Extender was disabled, doing all on that 'suggested answer'

Lisa: Awesome lets see if that helped and if you can see it now.

Wessels: I can see the xbox in the network now

Lisa: One step closer right, let me know if the play now is there.

Wessels: Not yet :(

Lisa: So it is not there yet....

Wessels: No. I have no idea anymore - at least it shows up in Network as a 'Gaming device'

Lisa: Another thing to look at, also in the pc settings screen, is the Homegroup tab. Make sure the Music, Pictures etc are on shared, and just below them is Media. Make sure thats 'on' as that is to allow the devices on your network to play shared content.

Lisa: Make sure they say shared....

Wessels: They all do

Lisa: They say shared on all of them?

Wessels: Documents didn't, but it does now too

Lisa: Still reading that forum, again my apologizes taking me a while to look into this but thanks for allowing me the time really appreciate it.

Lisa: Open the windows 8 start screen, or press and hold the windows key on your keyboard while pressing the letter "R" and type services.msc, select settings and click on local services.

Lisa: Once there, click on the name tab to place everything is alphabetical order.

Lisa: Find these services and make sure they are running and set to automatic:

Lisa: -device association service

Lisa: -dhcp client

Lisa: -ssdp discovery

Lisa: -upnp device host

Lisa: -media center extender service

Wessels: Ok done all of those

Lisa: When that is done, restart the following services so that all connected services also restart. Some will start automatically when doing others.

Lisa: -dhcp client

Lisa: -ssdp discovery

Lisa: -upnp device host

Wessels: Still nothing

Lisa: Next:

Lisa: Right click the network connection in the notification area (where your clock is). This will be signal bars or an Ethernet icon depending on your connection type. Now click on "Open Network and Sharing Center". When this opens look to the bottom left of the open window for the link "HomeGroup". Now the link you want to click on will say "Allow all devices on this network such as TV's and game consoles to play my shared content" and click "Allow All" or just enable the device you're wanting to connect

Wessels: No, nothing

Lisa: Ugg this is crazy, there is nothing else that I can think of, really I am lost with you, can you post in the forums and see if they found a resolution I will walk you through it and we can do this together. The same link that I gave you sign in and post at the buttom.

Wessels: Thanks

Lisa: Sure do you still have the link for that forum post?

Wessels: I have the page open

Lisa: Great you may have to sign into your live account to post at the bottom and you can copy and paste our chat if that will help you so you do not have to type all the information back in there."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks