This question is answered

Xbox 360 Slim - HDMI Setup

• Level   1

First of all, I'd like to say apologies if this thread/post has been made elsewhere. After a year and a half of PlayStation 3, I decided to switch consoles, and am glad I did. Thus im quite new to the XBOX Forums, and have had trouble finding my way around.

So I bought an XBOX 360 Slim a couple weeks back, looking forward to playing in HDMI as my PlayStation didn’t support it for some reason, and I noticed straight away that the AV/Scart/Component cable (whatever you personally call them) had a small piece of plastic blocking the HDMI port. Unlike most people, I don't know what I do next.

Can I setup the XBOX to just use the HDMI cable, by simply switching cables halfway through the process? If so, how?

Do I have to buy a new cable that allows me to plug both in at the same time? (Also, do you NEED to plug both in at the same time, to achieve HDMI quality?)

Is it possible to sand or cut the plastic on the cable, without risking serious permanent damage to the cable or XBOX? And would tinkering with the cable affect the 1 year warranty, if so I won’t think twice about it.

That's about it really, if anybody could provide some clear, helpful advice on any or all of these questions, it would be highly appreciated!

Lewstar MK. :)

Verified Answer
    • Level   1
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Thanks for getting back to me! I've read everything through and we'll try and break it down here. First, on the AV/Component cable, flip the switch to "HD" or "HDTV" depending on what your cable says, and turn on the Xbox, ensure that it turns on. Go into your System Settings > Console Settings > Display. Then, ensure your resolution is at 720p. Check your screen format and ensure it is in Widescreen. Save those settings and back out to the main dashboard. Turn off Xbox 360. Hook up the HDMI cable, and plug it into the Xbox 360 and your TV. Ensure you have the correct input selected for HDMI on your TV, keeping in mind TVs can have multiple HDMI inputs. Then, turn it back on. Make sure your sound is on too, and see if you hear the Xbox sounds if you don't see video.

You should only need one cable, HDMI, to run sound and audio. And just to be sure here, you are hooking directly up to the TV, right? There is no receiver in between the Xbox and the TV? Just want to be sure we aren't going through a secondary source before it hits the TV.

Try this option and let me know how it works. We'll go from there.

All Replies
    • Level   1

Any help anybody?

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Hi, you can only use one cable as using both isn't possible nor necessary, so if you want HDMI use a HDMI cable only.

• Level   1

Thanks for the answer. but this wasnt what im looking for.

What i mean is, im currently using scart/component atm (with the cable provided) and want to play in hdmi. how do i go about that?

• Level   1

Do you have a HDMI cable?

If so, remove the AV Component cable from the Xbox 360 & insert the HDMI cable into the Xbox 360 & TV and power the console on, you can change settings in the Dashboard > System Settings > Console Settings > Display to whatever your current TV supports e.g. 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

• Level   1

Take out the old cables and plug the HDMI cable in. The system should automatically recognize the HDMI cable and switch over.

• Level   1

Yes i have a hdmi cable.

if i plug it in and let the console "recognize automatically", nothing happens. and its plugged in correctly and i know it works with other stuff such as laptop.

and if i go to settings to change to hd, it says "connect an xbox 360 hd av cable to configure hd display modes" i connect hdmi cable, once again, no signal

• Level   1

i just want to play on hdmi. why make it so dang difficult.. :/

• Level   1

Good evening,

Let me see if I can help you fix this, as I would love for you to get playing on your Xbox! First, I would like to clarify a couple of things so I can understand fully where we are having problems.

On the back of your Xbox there are two video outputs, one for HDMI and one for the Component/AV cable. You referred to a piece of plastic covering parts of that. Could you elaborate into more detail what you are referring to or provide a picture so I can clearly get an idea of what you mean?

Then, I know it may sound trivial but I want to make sure you have selected the correct HDMI input on your TV before you turn on the Xbox 360 with the HDMI cable connected. You should only have to have one cable (the HDMI cable) to run audio and sound in full HD; you won't need the Component/AV cable at all.

So, like I said, let's start with some clarification and I will do my best to help you out! We'll get you squared away by the end of tonight to crank up some Battlefield 3 in pure HD amazingness! :)

-Nicholas

• Level   1

@ A3 SaVioR

I have read your post, but heading to bed as got work tomorrow. Will reply fully and upload piccy (however you do that) tomorrow! Thanks!

• Level   1

Not a problem, Lewstar. I will await your upload and further information. To upload an image, use a free service like Imageshack.us. Upload the image there and then grab the direct URL to the image; copy and paste that link here and I'll take a look for you and figure this out.

• Level   1

@ A3 SaVioR

Basically, I have bought myself a new Xbox 360 *SLIM* not normal, and ive wanted to play it in HD since i got it obviously. Got the right things eg. hd television, HDMI cable. I've tried to make it HDMI through several methods. Will explain these briefly. (Bear in mind i want to have to be able to just use the HDMI cable for audio and sound, unless i really have to buy some other cable...)

Plug in HDMI cable, and then turn on the xbox. nothing when on the hdmi source on the tv.

do the same with xbox on, nothing.

***still need to try with an old xbox hd-av cable if it’s possible to work? can use my brothers, as he just uses the HDMI cable like i want to. he says just plug it in, doesn’t work...***

So the problem with av cable that comes with the xbox SLIM, it has a small bit of plastic covering the hdmi port. See piccy's.

.imageshack.us/.../20111102225406.jpg and imageshack.us/.../20111102224638.jpg

And the cable that comes with the OLD xbox's (hd-av cable i think, with the tv/hd toggle on it?) also blocks the HDMI port, dont really need a pic for this Lol. Also how do you go from "tv" mode to "hd" mode on that cable in the xbox menus, i dont know how?

So the question is, how do i go from using the cable that comes with my xbox, to using JUST the hdmi cable? whats the exact process cause im really stuck?

i no this is a bit of a long winded post, but im really getting upset with my xbox. av cables are so outdated... guess it will have to do for battlefield 3 for now.

Looking forward to your detailed, helpful reply =) Lewstar.

• Level   1
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Thanks for getting back to me! I've read everything through and we'll try and break it down here. First, on the AV/Component cable, flip the switch to "HD" or "HDTV" depending on what your cable says, and turn on the Xbox, ensure that it turns on. Go into your System Settings > Console Settings > Display. Then, ensure your resolution is at 720p. Check your screen format and ensure it is in Widescreen. Save those settings and back out to the main dashboard. Turn off Xbox 360. Hook up the HDMI cable, and plug it into the Xbox 360 and your TV. Ensure you have the correct input selected for HDMI on your TV, keeping in mind TVs can have multiple HDMI inputs. Then, turn it back on. Make sure your sound is on too, and see if you hear the Xbox sounds if you don't see video.

You should only need one cable, HDMI, to run sound and audio. And just to be sure here, you are hooking directly up to the TV, right? There is no receiver in between the Xbox and the TV? Just want to be sure we aren't going through a secondary source before it hits the TV.

Try this option and let me know how it works. We'll go from there.

• Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

To switch from an AV port cable to an HDMI cable, try the following:

• Power off the console and the display
    • Unplug the AV port cable
    • Plug in the HDMI cable on the console
    • Attach the other end of the HDMI cable to an input on the display
    • Power on the display and select the corresponding HDMI input
    • Follow the instructions listed in Solution 4 of the black screen on TV or Monitor troubleshooter while powering on the console

That should get you to... I believe a 480p output from the 360 to the display. After that, you can adjust the output format from System Settings.

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

Make sure that the in the TV's setting that the input channel is set to HDMI, some sets have a setting for HDMI or Component

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

And by that I mean that say for Input 1 the tv has a setting for Input 1 to be either HDMI or Component