This question has suggested answer(s)

Xbox wont boot up- freezes on XBOX360 screen

• Level   2

After installing all the latest xbox live updates I was attempting to play Halo Combat and my screen froze.  Couldnt get back to the dashboard, so I used the power button on the Xbox.  It seems like it is going to boot back up but it freezes again on the Xbox screen after the graphics move into the "xbox ball."  I have tried starting it up with my hard drive out, and still no luck.  Any ideas?

All Replies
    • Level   4

Is this a first time occurance?

• Level   3
    • Suggested Answer

SublimeVoodoo

After installing all the latest xbox live updates I was attempting to play Halo Combat and my screen froze.  Couldnt get back to the dashboard, so I used the power button on the Xbox.  It seems like it is going to boot back up but it freezes again on the Xbox screen after the graphics move into the "xbox ball."  I have tried starting it up with my hard drive out, and still no luck.  Any ideas?

Hi there can you try this  ""Navigate to System Settings>Memory>Highlight the hard drive, then input this button sequence: LB RB X LB RB X."" this should delete your latest update your xbox will then restart.  Try and see if it works and let us know how you get on. 

• Level   3

Actually scratch that you can't even get to your dashboard can you? can you remove the hard drive and try and boot it up see what happens.

• Level   1

I've been having a similar issue.  My system is only a week old.  Downloaded a recent update for MW2, and started having issues.  It took an EXTREMELY long time for my system to boot past the "Xbox ball" splash screen, but eventually it did.  I deleted the most recent update as Badman suggested, but that did not correct the issue.  The same problem persisted.  Attempted start-ups with the HDD removed have met with mixed results.

• Level   2

same problem. Just after the update... it takes a solid hour to boot to the dashboard. Really hoping tjey figure this out. Pissed odd now.

• Level   1

My system is only week old after update 2 days ago 90% of time I get open tray, unreadable disc, every time I restart system takes 20-30 minutes to get past xbox screen, deleted and re downloaded update multiple times did not help.

• Level   4

I have a very similiar problem, after the last update my console is EXTREMELY unstable. It's not even 1 year old, it takes 4 minutes to boot up, from the Intro scene and will not read discs AT ALL.

This previous update has *** up the console big time.

• Level   4

@Jurgium

It will not matter, the system update applies if you have HDD in or not.

• Level   4
    • Suggested Answer

Sorry to hear about that give these a try:

Move your console

It's important to keep your console in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area.

1. Turn off the console.

2. Move the console to an open, well-ventilated area, away from all other electronic devices.

Tips for positioning your console

Do not put your console in an enclosed space. Put the console in an open area with lots of ventilation.

Do not stack electronic devices on top of or below your console. Make sure the console and its power supply are on a hard surface.

Do not put your console on something soft (like a bed, sofa or rug).

Keep the console away from heat sources, such as ventilation openings on televisions and electronic devices. Also, keep the console away from heating vents and direct sunlight.

3. Turn on the console.

Did not work try:

Clear your system cache

The Xbox system cache contains temporary files used by your Xbox 360 console. Clearing the system cache may fix your screen freeze problem.

Previously downloaded game updates are removed, but don't worry. You'll be prompted to download these updates again before you play the games.

Clear your system cache

Press the Guide button on your controller.

Go to Settings, and then select System Settings.

Select Storage or Memory.

Highlight any storage device, and then press Y on your controller.

Important Do not press the A button.

(It doesn't matter which storage device you select; the cache will be cleared for all storage devices.)

Select Clear System Cache.

Select Yes when prompted to confirm storage device maintenance.

Repeat the action that previously caused your screen to freeze.

One last go:

Remove the hard drive

Does your Xbox 360 console have a hard drive? Your screen freeze problem might be related to your hard drive. To see if this is the case, temporarily remove your hard drive. Here's how:  

Turn off the console.

Locate the hard drive on the top of the console (or on the left side, depending on how your console is oriented).

Note Not all Xbox 360 consoles have a hard drive. If your console does not have a hard drive, click No at the bottom of this page.

Press the release button on the hard drive and lift it away from the console.

Turn on the console.

Try to reproduce the freeze problem.

If removing your hard drive fixed your screen freeze problem, click Yes at the bottom of this page.

Reattach your hard drive

Turn off the console.

Position the back of the hard drive against the back of the hard drive bay.

Push the front end of the hard drive down until it clicks in place.

I hope this helped.

Happy to help ;)

• Level   1

Clear your cache.  May take patience to wait for the dashboard to load, but once you're there, just clear your cache.  Worked like a charm for me, and I haven't had a problem since.