This question has suggested answer(s)

Required storage has been removed. Your device will now restart.

• Level   2
I got an Xbox for Christmas, it's been working totally fine but, yesterday when I changed the disk from a DVD to a game it came up saying "required storage device has been removed your system will now restart" then after it restarted it was fine. It worked fine today but when I went from a game to a DVD it did this again. I was just wondering is this a problem, how can you fix it or should I return it and get it swapped.
All Replies
    • Level   2

Few questions: Does your system have an attached harddrive? (One that you purchased seperatly) Have you completed the system updates? Such as the new dashboard update?

• Level   2

It has a hard drive installed. It's the newest Xbox out. And I think I've done all the updates. Is there a way to check. And yes I have the new dashboard.

Thank you for replying :)

• Level   9

Try clearing the system cache as described HERE.

If that doesn't work then take the hard drive off and see if you still get the error, it could be a faulty hard drive.

CLICK for the latest Xbox Live Service Status.

CLICK if you need to start the repair process for your Xbox product.

• Level   2

I did that and it went to a screen saying it was clearing then the screen disappeared and it went back to the storage devices. Does this mean that it's done? And I've just put a game on let it load to the home screen. Exited and put a DVD in and it didn't bring up the message. Thank you for your help. I'm presuming it's okay but I'll keep a check on it and write back if it pops up again.

• Level   9

It only takes seconds to clear the cache and as you are no longer getting the error I guess it's sorted.

CLICK for the latest Xbox Live Service Status.

CLICK if you need to start the repair process for your Xbox product.

• Level   1

Hi im also having the same problem i got the newest xbox slim with kinnect and when I clear the cache, i have to do it 5 or 6 times for it to work and when i turn my xbox off for a little bit n go back to play the dvd it doesnt work again and have to keep clearing it over and over again. any help would be appriciated1

• Level   S
    • Suggested Answer

Greetings, LavenderExpert1. Can you please create a new thread for us? Please be sure to include a full description of your situation including any error messages you are seeing and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. This will enable us to begin the troubleshooting process. Thanks in advance! Standing by for your thread.

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

Thank You for replying. How do i start a new thread? i cant figure it out please help

• Level   1

You can start a new topic by clicking this link here.

• Level   1

I have Been having the same issue on the first generation slim, default storage and no internal hard drive installed. every time i put in a DVD it says the main storage unit has been removed and will now restart. do I need to update or clear the cache?

• Level   1

but it doesn't do this after switching between game to DVD, it does this every time I put in a different DVD...I have had this thing for 2 years with no problems and now it decides to tell me something is wrong.... someone help with a comment?

• Level   S

Greetings, Monkey. Can you please create a new thread for us? This one is quite old and we'll be able to best assist you from your own thread. Please be sure to include a full description of your situation including any error messages you are seeing and the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far. Thanks in advance!

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

I had this problem, I cleared the cache but this didn't help. So I set the auto play to on and then when I put the DVD in it played fine when u closed the draw... Hope this helps.

• Level   1

I have the 4gb Slim model as well with no extra storage previously. I put in an 8 GB usb key and formatted it to work for the xbox (just go to Settings:Storage: and then select your usb and then format it), and then the movies started playing just fine. I saw someone else post that while the 4GB is a good buy money wise, there is just simply not enough space on it to run things like movies and some apps.Hope this helps!!

• Level   1

It says the same thing to me but I think I know why because my memory card somehow broke so I can't use it anymore so I think that's when it started. Is there anyway to fix it?