This question is answered

How to stop xbox asking me to sign in to xbox live when I sign in to an offline account

• Level   1

We have a few accounts on my xbox and most of them are NOT xbox live accounts. But when we sign in to any of the non xbox live accounts, the xbox asks if we want to sign in to xbox live even though that account is an offline account. Is there a way to stop it from asking?

Verified Answer
  • have spoken with xbox again. Go to settings, go to kinect, then go to the bottom kinect id settings. Allow it to rescan your face and move forward and sideways as instructed. The problem appears to be perhaps that either more than one player is using the same profile or it has not properly recognised your profile so it may pay to have all players kinect ID profiles rescanned. This seems to have worked for me and I can now play some of the games I was having problems with offline using the offline profiles. Good luck to all.

All Replies
    • Level   2

I find this annoying as well. No, I don't think you can stop it from asking you.

• Level   1

Have the same issue after last update

• Level   1

It seems like this has happened recently, I think remizyaka is correct maybe after the last update. It is so annoying that we cannot play some games unless we are signed in with xbox LIVE.

• Level   1

kinect games are a nightmare with this new problem, cannot sign into a profile with a saved game  progress unless on live, it has affected all users with live, but most dont know it as they are always connected to xbox live.....

• Level   1

Does anyone know if MS is fixing the problem?

• Level   1

Grrr!  whenever I contact MS xbox support they say its a new issue and no-one is aware of it......even though I have rang and chatted online numerous time about it! this is mad, if we are all having the same issues, its not isolated, yet they say that they have had no other contact about it!

• Level   S

Hey there guys! I don't think I'm fully understanding what you are describing. What exactly is the message you are getting when you try signing in to an offline profile? Is the console connected to the internet at this time? Can you guys let me know exactly what the error message says (screenshots would be fantastic!)?

Also, does this happen every time you sign in to an offline profile? What if you sign in to one, the sign in to another (LIVE or offline), then try signing back in to the original one. Does this give the same error? Let me know, thanks!

• Level   1

hi mister gwyther, right.........since the february update that was downloaded through xbox live, if your console is offline, and not connected yo live, trying to sign into a non-xbox live local offline profile brings up a 'cannot connect to live, troubleshoot or exit' error screen,  if you exit, the profile still logs in, but it makes playing some kinect games offline impossible.  When loading up a kinect game, for instance disney or kinectimals and it asks you  to sign in or start a new same, attempting to sign in with an existing saved progress profile cannot be done as when you select your profile, it says 'cannot connect to live, troubleshoot or start new game'.........it goes into a sign in loop if you continue to try to sign in with an existing profile, but there are no issues AT ALL with kinect and profie signing in on the dashboard if you are permanantly connected to live, this is only an issue when attempting to play offline, this problem never existed before the two  feb updates so one of them has caused this problem. microsoft seem to be denying any knowledge of this problem, it is not just me, as you can see, many other users have it too, but you would only notice the problem if you were offline. obviously this is only affecting users who have xbox live, but dont always go online with it. if you cannot sign into kinect games unless online at all times, i'd say thats a pretty big problem for MS to admit to and sort out. my brother like me has a new xbox slim (my white one died of RROD), and both since accepting the update (you cannot not update, unless you wont get on live), the profile sign in problem has been a problem. I have had this escalated by MS support 3 times but still awaiting a reply or a official announcement about it. so basically, if you buy a new xbox, get it online, get you update, you are then bound to be online at all times to play kinect games, not good if you are not always able to get online, or your updates are dloaded from a friends house.........please look into it, theres a good chance you have the same issues, but are not aware of it unless online. thanks

• Level   1

even worse if you got the update by downloading it off the xbox.com site (like I used to before going live) and putting it on a cd to update! that way you would have still have no access to xbox live to get around the profile sign in problem!

• Level   1

mr gwyther, sorry my 2nd from last post should have said "not aware unless offline", right at the end, thanks.....

• Level   1

So do we get any fix to this problem or maybe somekind of answer? Will we be able to play kinetic games without live connection or not? Think there is enough threads about this problem already. It´s kind of great to bring something new to people who spend their money and after a year say that hey you can´t use this gadget without internet connection. Way to win fans over :D

• Level   1

Extended discussion going on about the issue in this thread:

>>> forums.xbox.com/.../1163034.aspx <<<

Terrible news for those of us who don't enjoy the required internet tethering it seems Microsoft is now asking of us!

• Level   S

Hey everyone! First, it looks like several of you are posting in multiple threads at this time. We encourage you all to stick to your original threads so we can not duplicate any work on either side of the screen.

That said, I have been able to reproduce the basic offline profile sign in issue by trying to sign in from the Guide. When the LIVE error message comes up, I simply press (B) and I am signed in. It sounds like this is not what some of you are experiencing though. Can you please describe the steps you are taking before getting this issue. A video of it happening would be amazingly helpful! Thanks!

• Level   1

Mister Gwyther,

Have a 3 month old xbox kinect, 250Gb harddirve. Have installed the games onto harddrive. I unplugged ethernet cable so I am not online now. Insert Carnival Games in action. It wants you to raise your left hand to identify player. You then get to choose who you sign in as. I've selected offline profile (and I can use this offline profile if the ethernet cable is connected), but now it advises me I have no connecvtion to xbox live and do I wish to test the connection. I answer no. The game then says I must select a gamer profile to play and takes me right back to where we start this all over again. The loop continues and i cannot play this gaem AT ALL now. Puss in Boots same issue cannot sign in with a profile, however this game have the option of playing as a guest so can play the game via this method, but therefore are unable to save or resume or achieve etc as each game has to be started from scratch. I only have the xbox connected to the internet once a month to check for updates so it would proabaly appear then I have the faulty update that has caused this problem if this is the case. Have spoken for an hour and a half on phone with MS for assistance, another possiblilty they were looking at was a faulty harddrive, but this was unconclusive and I'm doubting that is the issue. Looking forward to a resolution to this fault (as are the kids!) Cheers

• Level   S

Thank you for the response Iowa! Darcy and I are in the process of collecting information regarding this issue. We'll be investigating this issue soon and will post updates in the forums as we get them. Thank you all for your patience!