This question is answered

Console turning itself off.

• Level   3

Hey everyone! So I've done a bit of research into this, but the Xbox console keeps changing behaviours, so thought I would ask my question directly!

My console was bought second hand (mistake number one, of which I am aware!) but is still under warranty, so can be sent back for repairs. Just want to avoid this for a while as I have a few online games I need to be online for in the coming weeks,

When I turn the console on, it turns itself off after only a few minutes. NOTE: it does make the power off noise. It will do this 10 or so times before it will come on and stay on without turning itself off.

I have disabled auto shutdown AND cloud saves. Does anybody have any idea why it would do this?

Several times, but not all of the times, and only starting recently the central green light (but not the outside lights) will flash green a few times after it shuts off. I had a red light in the center once, but has not come back since.

The side of the console is WARM, but certainly not HOT. And no Overheating warning shows up when shut down, just turns itself off...

I have also tried several different powerpoints, etc.... with no prevail

So, to me I think I should take it in for repair, but wondering if there was another answer as I need my Xbox for the next 3-4 weeks, and it does work after 10-15 times of turning itself off.... 

Any help appreciated, otherwise this sucker is going in for repair ;) 

Verified Answer
  • Hey Decible,

It sounds like you've got a similar issue - and would need to setup a repair request for the issue as Mister Fitzer suggested. You can do this here: http://xbx.lv/mysrvc  

Although normally it's best to create a new thread for your warranty question, I will answer it here:

Yes - you are likely covered. Use the link above to get things rolling. Here's a link to more info on our warranties if you'd like to read: http://xbx.lv/p1Ga9H

- Retired Support Agent -

All Replies
    • Level   2

Does the Xbox 360 console appear to be tampered with at all? Look at the back of the console and look for scratches, or anything that appears like it has been opened. If you remove the faceplate, is the Microsoft sticker still in place? Has it look like it has been moved or lifted?

• Level   1

Mine's been doing the same, but it's because the power brick keeps overheating. When it turns off, check the power brick to see what color the light on it is, if it's red then there's something wrong with it, not your xbox.

• Level   1

i'm having that exact problem and i'm kind of stuck trying to troubleshoot wether it is the power brick or the console. amazon has the power brick for pretty cheap, so if it's the brick then it will act like a brick and fly.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Sounds like you need a repair.

The postings on this site are my own and don’t represent Microsoft's advice, strategies or opinions.

• Level   5
    • Suggested Answer

Hey guys, just wanted to comment in on this thread. Melba, I think you're correct in assuming that the console will likely need repair; however, you may want to try using the console with another power supply first. Does a friend have one that you can borrow temporarily, to see if that's the cause of the issue? Also, have you tried this console on a different power outlet, to see if the issue persists then?

• Level   1

my power brick keeps red lighting as well. My console was bought brand new less than 2 months ago. if the power brick is the issue, is that covered under the warranty and can be replaced or is that seperate from the console?

• Hey Decible,

It sounds like you've got a similar issue - and would need to setup a repair request for the issue as Mister Fitzer suggested. You can do this here: http://xbx.lv/mysrvc  

Although normally it's best to create a new thread for your warranty question, I will answer it here:

Yes - you are likely covered. Use the link above to get things rolling. Here's a link to more info on our warranties if you'd like to read: http://xbx.lv/p1Ga9H

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   1

Thanks. Shortly after posting I called Xbox support and got a repair request and shipped out my power brick same day

• Level   1

My power sensor is malfunctioning. It keeps beeping before turning the console off.

• Level   S

Greetings, CaptainDaphy. It seems like you may have a new issue. Would you mind creating a new thread detailing your issue? This will enable us to provide you with the very best support possible. Thank you in advance! :)

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   1

the xbox dosent work

• Level   1

I bought a PS3 several months ago due to going through ten Xbox 360's since 2007. I used to be a die hard Xbox fanatic but having to buy a new console every six months just to play games is too costly. Especially when I still have an N64 and Super Nintendo and they still work fine. I understand new products have a tendency to fail. It still doesn't make up for the Elite and S versions which were supposed to fix previous issues and only provided new faults to replace the old ones. I'm sorry, my money will be better spent elsewhere.

• Level   S

Hey there, Mursalin786. As this thread is quite old can you please create a new one for me? Be sure to include a full description of what you are experiencing including any troubleshooting steps you have tried so far. We'll be more than happy to help. Standing by for your thread.

Really sorry to hear about your situation, CaptainDaphy. Definitely let us know if you ever need troubleshooting assistance going forward. We're here to help if you need us.

How to use the forums
    Retired Support Agent - No PMs please!

• Level   2

i have only had my xbox 360s for 6m and it is shutting off by itself i sent it in so see what will happin when i get it back if its not fix going to trash it and go to ps3 i think update had somthing to do with it worked just fine befor i babyed my xbox

• Level   2

Ugh... same issue with mine after only 2 weeks of returning my FIRST brand new console that I bought on black Friday. I work for the microsoftstore.com so I know these issues with the slims are not common. But wow, 2 consoles in 3 weeks??? This reminds me of the first time I bought the 360... oh well. Hopefully bst buy can exchange it again