This question is answered

Xbox 360 Slim Bricked after blackout during update

• Level   1

I was doing the Xbox Live mandatory update and when it was almots done the power went down turning the console off. Now went I turn it on, it will no show video and the green light goes red. No error code, no nothing!

Is there anything I can do to recover the system? 

Thanks.

Verified Answer
  • Prophecys82
    Do you know is there any rescue disk I can use to restore the xbox as new?

You can try the manual update process.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info

But you also might want to try the "red light" troubleshooter wizard first. I wonder if your power supply might have been damaged by the power failure.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/flashing-lights/flashing-lights-solution

• Hey All,

I thought I would comment on this thread - while DannoMcK is correct (verified), I wanted to emphasize his comment about the red light troubleshooter. It sounds like the Red Lights solution suggested a repair for you Prophecy, which would be the appropriate next step. I understand this is a frustrating experience - almost supernatural. Here is a link to our service site, where you can setup a repair: http://xbx.lv/mysrvc

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Oh gosh, I do apologize for (again) misunderstanding! In the case of a blank screen and a solid red light, this indicates one of two things: a hardware failure, or a loose connection. To troubleshoot this issue, try these steps: 

There is a solid red light on my console and the screen is blank.

Try the following steps:

1. Let the power supply cool for about 30 minutes.
    2. Plug the power supply into a different wall outlet.
    3. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
    4. Check the power supply.
    5. Remove the hard drive.
    6. If the above steps don’t solve the issue, order a replacement power supply from the Xbox Online Service Center.
    Unfortunately, as the final step mentions, if you are unable to resolve the issue after trying to re-seat the cables and accessories, then the console is experiencing a hardware failure and will need a repair. Hopefully it's just a loose connection! 

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

All Replies
    • Level   2

Hey Prophecys,

This is usually a bigger issue, but you can try removing and re-installing the hard drive. However, if this doesn't work you will need to contact Xbox Support. 

1. Turn off your console.
    2. Remove all console storage devices, including any USB flash drives, external hard drives, or the internal hard drive on the Xbox 360 S console. Learn how to remove the hard drive.
    3. Add your primary storage device, for example, the hard drive.
    4. Turn on the console
    5. Try updating the console again.
    • Level   1

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've already try that and I had no luck. The problem is big as you said, it won't show any error code or video image, so I guess the boot of the OS is corrupted or something. Do you know is there any rescue disk I can use to restore the xbox as new?

Thank you again.

• Prophecys82
    Do you know is there any rescue disk I can use to restore the xbox as new?

You can try the manual update process.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/system-updates/system-updates-info

But you also might want to try the "red light" troubleshooter wizard first. I wonder if your power supply might have been damaged by the power failure.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/flashing-lights/flashing-lights-solution

• Level   1

Thanks for the tips, I've try them but I could't resolve the issue. There is the CD update I would like to try, since I use de USB one, but I don't think it would work either. Have you ever hear abut something like this??

• Hey All,

I thought I would comment on this thread - while DannoMcK is correct (verified), I wanted to emphasize his comment about the red light troubleshooter. It sounds like the Red Lights solution suggested a repair for you Prophecy, which would be the appropriate next step. I understand this is a frustrating experience - almost supernatural. Here is a link to our service site, where you can setup a repair: http://xbx.lv/mysrvc

- Retired Support Agent -

• Level   1

First I would like to say thanks to everyone how is helping me here, I really appreciate your concern!

I'm a little confused about the red light troubleshooting I should use since I have the XBox 360 Slim, and I only seem to get one red dot. I guessed I'm suppouse to follow the one red light one, but it didn't work for me.

Tonight I'll try the CD manual update, hope it solves this issue!

• Level   X

Hi Prophecy! I think there may have been a bit of a misunderstanding. The guide you would want to follow for your console is the following one: support.xbox.com/.../flashing-red-light-on-the-xbox-360-s-console-power-button-2122791   . This will be able to guide you through the troubleshooting process for your Xbox 360 S - it's not quite the same as the 1 red light troubleshooter for the original Xbox 360. Let us know how it goes! :D

• Level   1

Thank you Miss Portia for your suggestion, but I do not have a flashing red light, what I do have is the following: I had my Xbox working just fine, there came a notification of a mandatory update when I tried to connect to Xbox Live. The update was installing and a blackout happened. After the power came back, I turned the Xbox back on and no video was shown on my TV screen and the green dot turned red after a few seconds. Is doing this since then, I follow all the tips that I found and the ones all the people here suggested and I had no luck what so ever. I'm afraid I should send it to repair, the only problem is that were I live, there is no official service for Xbox systems, I have to ship it to the US, and that will cost me almost as much as a new XBOX. And my great frustration is the fact that I can believe Microsoft has no software tools to repair something like this, that actually could happen to anyone.

Sorry for the long response, and thanks again.

• Level   X
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Oh gosh, I do apologize for (again) misunderstanding! In the case of a blank screen and a solid red light, this indicates one of two things: a hardware failure, or a loose connection. To troubleshoot this issue, try these steps: 

There is a solid red light on my console and the screen is blank.

Try the following steps:

1. Let the power supply cool for about 30 minutes.
    2. Plug the power supply into a different wall outlet.
    3. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
    4. Check the power supply.
    5. Remove the hard drive.
    6. If the above steps don’t solve the issue, order a replacement power supply from the Xbox Online Service Center.
    Unfortunately, as the final step mentions, if you are unable to resolve the issue after trying to re-seat the cables and accessories, then the console is experiencing a hardware failure and will need a repair. Hopefully it's just a loose connection! 

• Level   1
    • Suggested Answer

i have the same problem as Prophecy. My red light wont go away. i think my system got fried during a flood in my house

• Level   X

Hello Shady! If you try the steps above and they do not resolve your issue, then I'm afraid a repair will be required. Give them a shot! :)