This question has suggested answer(s)

Console turns ON and OFF by itself

• Level   1

Got a new Xbox 360 with KInect and 250g last week.  First odd thing was it would turn off and on no matter where I touched it.  On the side, in the rear where cables connect etc.   The next day it would shut off mid-game with no red lights preceding...just power down.  Then last night, it came on all by itself.

Anyone else having issues?

All Replies
    • Level   8

What color is the light on your power supply?

• Level   1

Green

• Level   8

Well it's not that then. Have you contacted support yet to see what they recommend?

• Level   4

Do you have the xbox 360 slim? If you do than clean the touch sencers (power button and eject button) IF you have the original xbox 360 console try taking the face plate off. You can turn the console off and on by controller .

Hope this helps

-Sager

Hard of Hearing Gamer and Xbox Live Ambassador here!

Sorry i havent been on here lately. Work and broken computers kept me away!

• Level   7

My 250 gig Slim console is also randomly turning itself off and resetting the display options...

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

• Level   7
    • Suggested Answer

I have been lead to believe this is a self defence mechanism to prevent your console overheating, i have no official verification of this, if i find out anything else i will post back here...

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king!

• Level   1

A friend of mine is suffering the same problem. When he first powers up the Xbox to play it, within the first 2-3 mins it will automatically turn itself off. He then switches the console on, and 2-3 mins later it turns itself off again. He usually has to repeat this procces 10-15 times before it will eventually stay on and once it reaches this point it's fine. He text me this morning to tell me that it has now started turning itself on in the middle of the night! I'm guessing that there's something wrong with the touch sensitive power button but can this be repaired or is there a manual override in the console settings which allows u to only turn the console on or off with the controller?

• Level   1

Microsoft did put a mechanism in the console to power it down to prevent over heating. My console does the same thing  and I can't figure out why. I don't want to pay to have it fixed because I have a feeling it was how they put it together and that something in the power unit is causing it to go crazy. I started to unplug it when I'm not using it and I haven't had a problem since so I would give that a shot.

• Level   1

I am also experiencing this problem with no warning my slim system is turning on and off on its own without reason and it will change resolution too. Last night I got woke up cause my xbox 360 slim turned on and ejected the disc all on its own and I cleaned the sensors. One more thing I find funny is when it is off it will ding quite normally but nothing will happen.

• Level   X

Hey meso - if this is happening, then your console is in need of repair. To set one up, please visit: support.xbox.com/.../repair-process

Emily - Program Manager @ Xbox, Xbox One Preview Program

• Level   1

i m also suffering frm this problem!!!!

• Level   1

started happening to me last night..console kept turning off after random time intervals..and turns on the same way..it"dings" when it turns on/off as if i touched it..it sometimes stays on cuz i played it this morning for a while and it worked just fine..but wats weird is that i was at the store last night when it turned on on me and when i came home i found it had the red ring...but i turned it off and on and it worked normally for a bit..

• Level   X
    • Suggested Answer

Hey guys, because this is an older thread and because I'd like to see you get the attention you deserve, I'm going to ask that you please create your own thread in this forum. Please include a full description of the issue you're encountering, along with what you've tried. Thank you! :-)

Mister Fitzer - Xbox Community Engagement