This question is answered

Confusion with power bricks.

• Level   2

I just purchased a used 360 without a power brick. While looking for a replacement, some say they won't work on all models, and to check the user manual for the right size. I didn't get a manual with the console & have spent the last day & a half trying to find one online to download. I have the MFR Date, serial #, & product ID. Does anybody have a solution for me?????

Verified Answer
    • Level   2
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Sage to Rage
    Well either way he would still have to get the correct year and wattage because all Xbox boards have different plug in ports.

That's why I said power supplies are forward compatible. The original 203w supply will plug into a 150w Jasper.

Note that they are not backwards compatible. A 175w Falcon supply will not physically plug into a 203w Xenon console.

Microsoft seems to have done away with this for the 360 S as Trinity and Corona plugs appear to be identical. A 120w Corona brick plugs into a Trinity console.

A 2006 203w power supply wont plug into a 2009 Xbox 360 for safety reasons and to protect the consoles from insufficent power
    An original 2005 power brick will plug into any original 360 model. Again, forward compatible.

• Level   7
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

support.xbox.com/.../manual-specs

There you go, just pick which ever one you want.

"You see that 2 next to my name?" ~ Maxen13

• Level   5
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

^^^^^^No where it says A / V stands for audio, video. HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a separate port that transfers audio and video in the same cable and it is clearly stated on the XBOX. It will say on the back (HDMI) So if you don't know if you have it, then it is pretty safe to say you don't.

All Replies
    • Level   5

sure I do you left a huge part out of your thread, is it an XBOX slim or an older XBOX. Let me know that and I will give you the exact solution. I'll check back soon.

• Level   5

here is the power brick for the slim

here is the power brick for all other consoles

• Level   2

The MFR Date is 2006. It's not a slim, but my confusion is the wattage. Some are 135W,others are 175W. For example: If mine needs a 135 will I damage the console by plugging in a 175 ?

• Level   5

Microsoft changed the power cords so you could not plug in an older console with a newer brick.The 2006 consoles have the metal plugin on the cord. if that helps.

Hard of Hearing Gamer and Xbox Live Ambassador here!

Sorry i havent been on here lately. Work and broken computers kept me away!

• Level   7

As Pauliejoseph has posted, this will work on your 360.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_5

Your console will be the 203W version but even if it was the 150W version, a 203W power brick will work with it.

• Level   5

TMX boxburn
    even if it was the 150W version, a 203W power brick will work with it.

NO!

You are wrong. So you are saying that a 150w Xbox 360 console can take in 203w of power. NO It will fry the xbox from the 127 extra Watts you gave it.

• Level   5

Sage to Rage
    NO!

You are wrong.

He's correct, 203w works fine with all original model 360 console revisions - Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon/Opus, and Jasper.
    So you are saying that a 150w Xbox 360 console can take in 203w of power. NO It will fry the xbox from the 127 extra Watts you gave it.
    Not how power supplies work. They can provide "up to" the rated wattage listed on the brick. It's the same as a PC power supply. The rating is the maximum amount of power the DC end can provide.

• Level   5

IceStorm III

Sage to Rage
    NO!

You are wrong.

He's correct, 203w works fine with all original model 360 console revisions - Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon/Opus, and Jasper.
    So you are saying that a 150w Xbox 360 console can take in 203w of power. NO It will fry the xbox from the 127 extra Watts you gave it.
    Not how power supplies work. They can provide "up to" the rated wattage listed on the brick. It's the same as a PC power supply. The rating is the maximum amount of power the DC end can provide.

IceStorm III

You are wrong.

Well either way he would still have to get the correct year and wattage because all Xbox boards have different plug in ports.

For example: A 2009 Xbox 360 with a 150w power supply won't work with the 2006 Xbox 360 because the plugs are slightly different on the inside. Same thing the other way around. A 2006 203w power supply wont plug into a 2009 Xbox 360 for safety reasons and to protect the consoles from insufficent power

• Level   7

Actually you are incorrect, as you can see in the following image, the newer sockets have bits of plastic which prevent them from slotting into the wrong console, these bits of plastics are simply add-ons to the original design and if you match the images together, you will see that the 203W socket will fit into the 150W console. In fact, My Elite is currently running off a 175W PSU although it came with a 150W PSU. An older console will not accept a newer PSU due to insufficient power but a newer console will accept an older PSU.

360psu.jpg

• Level   7
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

Sage to Rage

That's why I said power supplies are forward compatible. The original 203w supply will plug into a 150w Jasper.

Note that they are not backwards compatible. A 175w Falcon supply will not physically plug into a 203w Xenon console.

Microsoft seems to have done away with this for the 360 S as Trinity and Corona plugs appear to be identical. A 120w Corona brick plugs into a Trinity console.

A 2006 203w power supply wont plug into a 2009 Xbox 360 for safety reasons and to protect the consoles from insufficent power
    An original 2005 power brick will plug into any original 360 model. Again, forward compatible.

• Level   5

Ok Ok. I think we are getting off topic a little bit here but...

IceStorm III

Thats what i was really getting at because the OP has a 2006 console.

Guess i learn somthing new everyday :)

• Level   2

You guys are great. The slot in the back of my console is exactly like the Xenon/Zepher pic that TMX boxburn provided. The voltage & amperage are also the same. For future reference, does this mean my console is a Xenon/Zepher?         Is there a website where I can download a user manual for my unit so I won't have to bother you guys with trivial problems? I really appreciate the guidance y'all have provided. Thank you.

• Level   7

Don't worry about bothering us, thats what we're here for. If your console has HDMI it is a Zepher and if it doesn't have HDMI it's a Xenon. As for a manual, there might be one on this website and I shall look later.

• Level   7
    • Verified Answer
    • Verified by

support.xbox.com/.../manual-specs

There you go, just pick which ever one you want.

• Level   2

Maybe I should have mentioned that all I got was the console---no power supply, no cables, & no controllers---so I'm completely in the dark as to whether it's HDMI or not. Would that be where it says A / V ? Also, Thanks for the link for the manuals.