This question has suggested answer(s)

My Xbox 360 will not show my Hard Drive when it is plugged in.

• Level   2

Today I bought a new 60GB HDD to replace my older 16GB Hard Drive. When I plugged the 60GB Hard Drive into my Xbox the normal way (into the side) my Xbox read the Hard Drive correctly stating that it had roughly 60GB. Now knowing that it was working fine I got my Transfer Cable plugged the 60GB into the Cable and the 16GB into the Xbox directly. Once the Xbox read what storage devices I had plugged in it showed that the 16GB was there, the 60GB was also but it did not show its name or how much memory it contained. So I hit 'A' to check it out and the only option I had were Configure Now and Customize. I couldn't transfer anything to my 60GB without having to format it to a 16GB, which would completely ruin the purpose of the Hard Drive if it could now only hold 16GB. I have no idea what is wrong with it.

I have tried multiple things I have searched on the Internet and on this website and nothing has lead me to a conclusion. Please if anyone has any knowledge on this let me know.

All Replies
    • Level   5

All you have to do is put the 60 GB HDD into the console the normal way like you did before. And also have the USB plugged into the xbox the normal way. Then go to the storage settings, the USB, select the content and select move or copy. I think you may have to move everything individually but the transfer content option may work (but again I am unsure). See this link for more information on exactly what to do:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/manage-games-data

Hope this helps you!

• Level   2

The problem is though, is that the 60GB HDD does not show up in the storage devices when directly put onto the Xbox. I do not know why.

• Level   9

As vdeathrow93 has already said, connect the 60Gb hard drive to your console in the ususal way.

-

As you have a genuine Microsoft certified data transfer cable ( your cable is a genuine Microsoft data transfer cable I hope ) simply plug the usb end of the cable into the console when it's powered off, power the console back on and wait for it to boot up, now connect your old hard drive to the other end of the cable and the data transfer window should open. Follow the instructions to transfer your data from the old hard drive to your 60Gb hard drive.

-

What happens if you use a none Microsoft branded data transfer cable?

You end up with no data on your drives and drives that will not work as Xbox hard drives again so please ensure that the cable you are using is a Microsoft branded cable.

-

www.xbox.com/.../Transfer

-

Now I know the link refers to having a new console but the same also applies to having a new hard drive.

CLICK for the latest Xbox Live Service Status.

CLICK if you need to start the repair process for your Xbox product.

• Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

Im guessing you already configured the 60Gb drive? also that the data cable you used was a third party cable ?

if that's the case then I'm afraid to say you're going to have to go buy another hard drive.

-

forums.xbox.com/.../14226.aspx

-

please take a look at the thread above.

• Level   2

As I said previously, the 60GB Hard Drive will not read when put into the Xbox the usual way. It does not show up at all, and the Transfer cable that is being used is Microsoft Certified. Also, and added note. I Moved all my data from the original 16GB Hard Drive to an external USB Hard Drive. So now the USB Hard Drive is plugged into the Xbox and is reading fine, but I still cannot get the 60GB HD to read when correctly put onto the Xbox. (It still reads through the Transfer Cable but you can only format it to a 16GB Device, and I do not want to do that)

• Level   9
    • Suggested Answer

Ok so it worked before you connected it to the data transfer cable but now it doesn't. Sounds to me that it's being seen as a USB device instead of an Xbox hard drive, which is typical behaviour of a third party transfer cable. Are you 100% certain that cable is a genuine Microsoft data transfer cable.

• Level   4

I've had this problem all day and have read several threads regarding this problem. Generally, there is never anything wrong with 3rd party cables. If there was, none of them would work and the companies making them would be inundated with complaints. There is a risk factor as you don't have the same quality control as a big company like Microsoft, but you can't tell people that every single 3rd party unit will just not work. In that case, they may as well make them out of string and plasticine if they're going to be so blatant. I am also a big endorser of Apple products. I use several Mac Pro desktop units and several Mac Pro Macbooks. They also charge a complete fortune for tiny little cable adapters and extensions that are way, way overpriced. Adapters, cables and small accessories are very rudimentary, simple devices. There's not a lot to go wrong with them. Sorry, I just really don't like corporate kiss-*** making people who don't have much money spend ridiculously overpriced amounts of money on items that cost a few pence to make. I screw the man over in any way I can buying small 3rd party accessories. Obviously, with the lack of quality control I leave serious, bigger purchases to the dedicated parent company. By doing this I've saved a fortune and they all have worked for me to date.

To the solution;

Leave your OLD hard drive in your system as normal. Boot it up with the transfer cable (3rd party or genuine, I really don't care - it's none of my business) securely inserted into the back USB port. Leave all other USB ports free. When your system is up and running, attach your NEW hard drive to the end of the transfer cable.

Next, go to System Settings > Storage. Configure or Format the hard drive if it is just showing up as a generic USB device. I did this. After this it said the device may not work properly. It also tried to tell me it was a 20GB device. As I was transferring 15GB of Date, I ignored all these remarks.

After this, I went back to System Settings > Storage. Select your consoles hard drive and hit 'Y' to Transfer Date. Select the new hard drive - it may still be showing up as a USB Device with less space than it actually is - ignore this.

The transfer will start. Once it is completed, shut down your 360.

Remove the transfer cable. Remove the old hard drive from the 360. Insert the new hard drive directly into the 360. Start it up.

Problem Solved.

As a disclaimer I'd just like to point out that I am not advising ANYONE to buy 3rd party accessories for your XBOX 360. I AM saying that the choice is entirely up to you and I've also told you my own experiences with them. This is a solution for anyone experiencing problems that may or may not be related to the use of 3rd party accessories.

Enjoy.

• Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

@Stevey Raff,  when you select configure you end up turning whatever the hard drive is (120, 250, 320gb) into a 16gb usb device.  That is what happens when you use a 3rd party cable.  An official cable will not ask you to configure your hard drive.  Do not advise people to ruin their hard drives

• Level   4

Worked for me. Just saying. I'm advising people to try what they want at their own risk. You can configure the hard drive back by formatting it if it doesnt work. Then it'll show up as a 360 hard drive again.

• Level   6
    • Suggested Answer

Formatting it after configuring it to be a usb device will not restore it back to it's original state.  

• Level   1

I did the same thing with a third party cable. Is there any help?

• Level   8

Yeah buy a new drive also do not bump a thread from almost a year old thanks.

XBOX 360, kicking other consoles backsides since 2005.

• Level   S

Hey there Ryan,

Dave is essentially correct.

Third party cables are notorious for reformatting hard drives to basically just be USB drives. There is no fix or workaround for this once it has been done.